Answer
kristamarielund
retinol and glycolic

I read something about not using these two together, that one inactivates the other. So is it the glycolic making the retinol not work, or the other way around?. Do I avoid Retinol a few days before I use a Glycolic peel to get best results? Or do I avoid applying a Retinol cream after a peel? Or should I just not mix them in anyway?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 2
prettyinpa
Answered

Retinoids should not be mixed with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA's) because the AHA's break down the retinoids. AHA products should be used during the day under broad-spectrum sunscreen and retinoids used at night. Be sure to use good high SPF sunscreen because AHAs and retinoids make skin more sensitive to sun damage. (You don't want to cause more damage than you are trying to fix)!

Hope this helps!

tenngal
Answered

Retinol and glycolic acid are two of the most popular ingredients in anti-aging facial products.  Below are benefits of retinol versus glycolic acid:

Mode of Action:  Glycolic acid breaks down skin, thereby speeding up the skin renewal process. Retinol communicates with skin cells and encourages the rebuilding of skin. Glycolic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid made from the sugar cane plant, loosens the bonds between dead skin cells making it easier to remove the top layers of skin. Retinol is a form of vitamin A that is so small it is able to penetrate through to the lower levels of skin where collagen and elastin (two proteins in the skin responsible for its elasticity, tone and texture) reside. Retinol is able to actually communicate with the cells, encouraging them to function normally and promote regular cell renewal.

Benefits of Glycolic Acid:  Glycolic acid is used in bleaching and skin lightening products as it helps to speed up the fading process. It is also an effective exfoliant for removing dead skin cells, which makes it beneficial in acne treatments. Facial creams and lotions that include glycolic acid help make skin smooth, reduce hyperpigmentation and deep clean the pores. Glycolic acid can also be found in body washes, hair care products to deep clean the scalp, foot care products to help remove thick skin, and hand and nail care products to smooth and brighten the skin, cuticle and nails.
Benefits of Retinol:  Retinol is used in a variety of lotions and creams to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, smooth fine lines and repair damage from the sun. Retinol serums are available that are similar to the creams, but are formulated with enhanced absorption to penetrate into deeper layers of the skin. Retinol is also found in many treatments for hands, lips and the skin around the eyes. Retinol can also help to unclog pores, so it is used in some acne treatments.
Side Effects:  Glycolic acid may induce redness, flaking or a burning sensation. In rare cases, and usually those involving the higher concentration chemical peels, it may cause inflammation, infection and skin discoloration. Retinol may cause a warming sensation, redness, itching and scaling of the skin.
Precautions:  Both glycolic acid and retinol cause skin to be sensitive to sunlight so always wear sunscreen and protect your skin from exposure while using these products.  Those with sensitive skin are more susceptible to side effects, so always test a new product on a small patch of skin prior to use.  Do not use retinol if you are pregnant, because it affects cell growth it can cause birth defects.

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • prettyinpa
    • kristamarielund