Answer
wwechick76
clinique acne solutions
(0) Hearts

Hi,

I got the Clinique Acne Solutions kit with the cleansing foam, clarifying lotion, spot treatment and moisturizer. I had been using Clinique's 3 step program before and really liked it, but I used this for a week and it was horrific on my skin. I returned it to Sephora but right now my jawline and up my cheeks are crazy dry - like it feels like after you get a sunburn and it's peeling. My skin is regularly combination veering on oily. Anyone else have this issue with the product? What would you recommend for treating this issue? I don't want to get too heavy with a moisturizer and make it worse : ( Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
hcubby
Answered

When you used the Clinique Acne System before, did you use all the same products just as regularly as you recently did? I began using the Clinique Acne System about 6 months ago and I've seen great results, but I don't use the all the products. I received the kit with the foam wash, clarifying lotion and acne moisturizer (I think the kit got updated and added the spot treatment after my initial purchase).

I noticed my face was dry too after the first week and I was using all 3 products twice a day. I found that I didn't like the moisturizer, stopped using it and that was what was causing my face to dry out, just one product too much for my skin. As a result I just switched the moisturizer (and I've never used the spot treatment) and began using the Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer in SPF 20 during the day and a Garnier moisturizer at night.

So my guess would be; if you used the Clinique system before and it worked, maybe it was just the amount of salicylic  acid products you were using daily?

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi, wwechick76.  I'm sorry to hear you're having a reaction to the ingredients in the acne product you were using.  The first thing to do is to stop using the Clinique product, which you already done.  It is common to get dry and flaky skin when using products that contain benzoyl peroxide.  These products are meant to help dry up the excess oil your skin produces.  

First of all, keep your skin moisturized without adding any oily residue.  Look for products that are non-comedogenic as they will less likely to clog your pores.  You will only need to use a small amount to help moisturize your skin and relieve the dryness.  I would try

Fresh Umbrian Clay Face Lotion.  It is a highly effective oil-free, non-comedogenic (so it won't cause breakouts or clogged pores), lightweight moisturizer for combination to oily skin.  It helps regulate sebum production, absorb impurities from blocked pores, calm flare-ups and neutralize excess acidity on your skin which purifies and brightens your skin.  This lightweight lotion gently hydrates, tones, and balances your complexion.  Packed with antioxidants, it protects your skin from and repairs free radical damage.  It is also completely fragrance-free—its subtle scent comes from cucumber extract, an ingredient that helps to calm redness and irritation and you can find this moisturizer here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P185408&categoryId=B70

As hard as it may be, resist the urge to scratch or pick at the flaky skin.  This will only cause more irritation, plus you can add to the breakouts by touching your face excessively, since your hands produce natural oils.

In the future, I would try an acne-fighting regimen that is designed for sensitive skin so hopefully this won't happen again.  You may want to consider one of the kits that I'm going to list below.  

- GoClear 3-Step Acne & Blemish Regimen Kit -  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P261007&categoryId=B70

- Boscia Clear Complexion Kit  - http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P274002&categoryId=B70

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

edriemeyer
Answered
(0) Hearts

I've used the acne system for a couple of years now and have found that using the lotion is what drys my skin out.  I use the dramatically different GEL which is just enough moisture to keep your skin from breaking out.  Its super lightweight and can be used all over your body.

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • hcubby
    • wwechick76
    • edriemeyer