at what age is recommended to start wearing make up
(0) Hearts

help please at what age should i start

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
sbarr
Answered

Before you make the decision to wear makeup, think about all the time, energy, and money you'll have to expend on it. Not only do you have to have the time to put it on in the morning, you must take it off at night as well, not to mention the numerous touchups during the day.

Makeup is a lot of work, and if you are at all like I was in my middle school and high school years, you don't have a lot of free time! Between homework, activies, and friends, worrying about your makeup can be too much. Makeup should be fun, not a burden. Like all things, you should wear makeup when you feel ready to, not because you think you need to look better or because your friends are doing it!

I also want to suggest that before you start wearing makeup, speak with your dermatologist about how to apply and remove it. She'll be able to give you a lot of great advice so you can avoid a lot of the skin problems girls (and women!) who wear makeup have before they even happen! Best of all, all the other girls will be jealous of your gorgeous skin. ;-)

Good luck!

Answers: 6
samguy1
Answered

Personally i don't think theres any magic age. I love love love makeup, but that doesn't mean i wear it every day. I usually only wear mascara and do the fullface only if i'm going out or doing something special. if you don;t have any skin issues sometimes makeup can cause more problems then anything. lots of foundation and coverup and powder on your face can cause breakouts. I started wearing my mom's and sister's makeup when i was about 11 or 12. in secret. lol just experimenting with my girlfriends.

Just do what you want. keep it light. it's always better to look natural.

traveler86
Answered

There is no magical age to start wearing makeup!  When you feel like giving it a shot, go for it; but don't feel pressure to start wearing makeup if you don't really want to.  If you decide to wear some, just remember to keep it natural at first.  Enhance the beauty that you already have.  A little lip gloss and some blush can go a long way!  You can start experimenting with colors for a special event, or just get a group of friends together and try stuff on and ask what they think!

Hope this helps you!

estherjohnkim
Answered

If you have already graduated from high school and still not wearing make-up, this certainly isn't a bad thing and I think it's applaudable. However, I began to wear light eye-liner starting age 16 and I have just begun to put on foundation occasionally at age 20. I advise that although make-up does flaunt your features, you should also take care of your skin first and foremost.

lovexanita
Answered

Hey!

This is a very tough question to answer. I know some people will be like "you're too young to wear makeup!" or other things, but I think it depends on you and your skin type. If you're not experiencing any problems like acne or discolaration, I wouldn't go into wearing makeup. But I actually know some make-up gurus on youtube who are very young, around 12-13 who are wearing makeup and giving advice, and that's okay too. If you want to wear makeup for fun or just on an occasion, then that's fine. I would start out light. Once you're 15-16 and entering high school, I think that's an appropriate time to start wearing makeup more often.

If I were you, I would just wear sunscreen or like a tinted sunscreen. But seriously, if your skin is okay, then don't wear makeup! Natural Beauty is the best :smileyhappy: 

superslickgloss
Answered

It's all up to you, I always recommend starting with lighter makeup.

I started in around 7th grade wearing a touch of gloss here - experimenting with eyeshadow there. Dances and special occassions I wore a little more makeup for fun. 9th grade was more of a start for me, I wore a consistent full face of makeup. Primer, dark circle corrector, concealer, highlighter, blush, powder, eyeliner, mascara, light eyeshadow, etc. I kept the look natural and intensified my natural features. 

trisissunshine
Answered

I definately think that middle school is too young; Which to me seems like is the time us girls start caking it on.

In middle school, I'd focus on keeping skin clear: Not overdoing it.

I'd say that freshman in highschool could start wearing makeup.

I'm a Junior, and I started in eighth, but I wish I would have waited. It would ahve saved me from skin issues.

An approximate age? 15 or 16.

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 14 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • superslickgloss
    • sbarr
    • lovexanita
    • trisissunshine
    • hi139
    • traveler86
    • estherjohnkim