Answer
serendipity01
Skincare products suitable for people who use topical tretinoin (retin-a, atralin, renova, etc)

I was just prescribed Atralin (0.05) gel by my dermatologist, since I asked about something to help with acne scarring.  She gave me a bunch of sample tubes to try before I went out and got the full-sized tube, along with a paper describing how to use the product.  It says to use gentle cleansers/moisturizers such as Cetaphil or Purpose, wait 15-30 minutes after washing your face, and apply the retinoid at night.  And then of course use a good sunscreen during the day.

So, now I'm going through my massive collection of skincare products wondering what is ok to still use, and what is not ok.  For cleasners, I use: Murad Essential C, Philosophy Purity, or First Aid Beauty, along with my clarisonic.  Is the clarisonic still ok to use? 

For exfoliators, I use: Kate Sommerville Exfolikate, or Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating face wash.  I occassionally use the Dr Gross Alpha Beta peel as well. 

I have a ton of moisturizers that I kinda switch between: Shiseido white lucent, Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Anti-aging cellular cream, Murad hydro-dynamic, Murad essential c with SPF30, some DDF ones with SPF 15, Korres Wild Rose.

I use Neutrogena dry touch SPF 70 sunscreen, if I know that I'll be in the sun during the day, otherwise I go with SPF 15 or 30 for days that I'm mostly indoors. 

Anyway, I'm sure that my skin will react differently than other people, since that's how skincare typically goes.  But, I'm just kind of wondering what other retinoid users have found to work well for them.  I don't typically have sensitive skin (I don't find products breaking me out, etc), and I have an oily t-zone, but pretty normal otherwise.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
tenngal
Answered

Actually, I think that all the products you have in your product stash will work fine with your new product from the dermatologist.  When I read throught the list of what you have, none of them waved a red flag or stood out to me as being bad, so I would just go ahead and use them and, of course, if you have a drying reaction (flaky skin) to any of them then you can just quit using that particular one. 

And, yes, I would still use the Clarisonic, but just make sure that you use gentle cleansers, especially none with microbeads.

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

serendipity01
Thanks tenngal! My skin is starting to peel a little, but from what I've read online, that is a normal reaction to the tretinoin. eek, maybe my clarisonic will help.
tenngal
(0) Hearts
You're very welcome! I meant to mention that even though your dermatoloigist told you to use Cetaphil as a cleanser, that I've heard many people have problems with Cetaphil and it not being as gentle as it's supposed to be. My mother is one of them. Her derm told her to use Cetaphil, which she did and after a few weeks she started having trouble with her skin peeling and drying out and she finally cut out the Cetaphil and the peeling stopped. You may not have any problems with Cetaphil, but I just wanted to let you know that I've heard of it causing people problems. I personally use Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser which is an all natural, soap-free cleanser that Sephora carries and it works great with the Clarisonic. I'm not trying to sell you on it, I just wanted to let you know what's worked great for me. Glad your skin is clearing up and, again, glad I could help! :smileyhappy:
Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • serendipity01
    • haylolo