Answer
serendipity01
Skincare products suitable for people who use topical tretinoin (retin-a, atralin, renova, etc)

I was just prescribed Atralin (0.05) gel by my dermatologist, since I asked about something to help with acne scarring.  She gave me a bunch of sample tubes to try before I went out and got the full-sized tube, along with a paper describing how to use the product.  It says to use gentle cleansers/moisturizers such as Cetaphil or Purpose, wait 15-30 minutes after washing your face, and apply the retinoid at night.  And then of course use a good sunscreen during the day.

So, now I'm going through my massive collection of skincare products wondering what is ok to still use, and what is not ok.  For cleasners, I use: Murad Essential C, Philosophy Purity, or First Aid Beauty, along with my clarisonic.  Is the clarisonic still ok to use? 

For exfoliators, I use: Kate Sommerville Exfolikate, or Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating face wash.  I occassionally use the Dr Gross Alpha Beta peel as well. 

I have a ton of moisturizers that I kinda switch between: Shiseido white lucent, Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Anti-aging cellular cream, Murad hydro-dynamic, Murad essential c with SPF30, some DDF ones with SPF 15, Korres Wild Rose.

I use Neutrogena dry touch SPF 70 sunscreen, if I know that I'll be in the sun during the day, otherwise I go with SPF 15 or 30 for days that I'm mostly indoors. 

Anyway, I'm sure that my skin will react differently than other people, since that's how skincare typically goes.  But, I'm just kind of wondering what other retinoid users have found to work well for them.  I don't typically have sensitive skin (I don't find products breaking me out, etc), and I have an oily t-zone, but pretty normal otherwise.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
haylolo
Answered

My face is pocked with a combination of acne and acne scars so my dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A and BenzaClin. He instructed me to use a mild cleanser, like Cetaphil, while I was using the Retin-A and BenzaClin, but me being the rebel I am (hehe) decided to continue using my other facewashes. My skin, which like yours is not regularly sensitive, was fine. As for the Clarasonic (and any other exfoliaters), use it only once or twice a week and I think you will be fine.

I'm no dermatologist but I hope this helps anyways.

Haylolo

serendipity01
(0) Hearts
@haylolo - Thanks, I'm glad to hear that you're still able to use a Clarisonic! :smileyhappy: I'm experimenting with it now and just using the atralin everything third night to start out with and kind of ease my way into it.
haylolo
That sounds like a good plan!
Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • serendipity01
    • haylolo