Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

SPF Suggestions for someone who is sun-sensitive, sometimes wears foundation and has normal and fair skin

Hi!

I've been struggling to find a sunscreen for my face to use regularly in order to protect my already vulnerable skin. I have Lupus, so my face especially is sensitive and really needs consistent UV protection. I don't always wear foundation, but for when I do, I'd like something that works well under my other makeup. I'm very fair, (I use Y205 in the MUFE HD Foundation) so I don't care that much about a white cast. It'd be even more of a plus if someone could suggest a product I could touch up my UV protection with over my makeup that isn't the supergoop setting spray (tried it, didn't like it). My skin is normal, but will get oily around my T-zone occasionally. 

Re: SPF Suggestions for someone who is sun-sensitive, sometimes wears foundation and has normal and fair skin

I would recommend the Josie Maran SPF40 mineral sunscreen.  It goes on initially with a white cast but it goes away if you give the product a minute or two to set in. I usually put it on then get dressed and then put on my makeup..and I get dressed pretty quickly and by that time it's clear on my skin. I think with an autoimmune disease it probably would be good to avoid exposure to unneccessary chemicals so you may want to give it a try in store and see what you think.  

Re: SPF Suggestions for someone who is sun-sensitive, som...

I recommend MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Creme Broad Spectrum SPF 30 UVA-UVB.  It's one of the few sunscreens that doesn't sting my face after workout.  The consistency is a lot like a primer, and it works well under bb/foundation.  It also has a high zinc oxide concentration, so I feel good about the UVA protection I'm getting. There's also an untinted SPF50 version.

upload_8994564353848175104.jpg

Re: SPF Suggestions for someone who is sun-sensitive, sometimes wears foundation and has normal and fair skin

I have hypersensitive skin, what I use: Cotz - goes on smoothly, states can be used as a primer and some come in a tint, so can wear alone as well (have had no issues with it as a primer). Elta MD - at derm offices. Both are made for very sensitive skin.

colorescience as well, their primer has spf in it and a few tints, they do have a powder spf as well - typical will send samples of the liquids and powder, ask directly

@AlexeiJ

if you are truly sun sensitive, I believe it would be unwise to rely on makeup to be effective as sunscreen. It would be pretty much impossible to wear enough to get any protection.

The colorscience powder isn't bad

for a touchup. http://www.sephora.com/sunforgettable-loose-mineral-sunscreen-brush-broad-spectrum-spf-50-P402576?sk...

You might also consider a sun hat with at least a 3 inch brim whenever you are outside (all year) or sun protective clothing like sleeves and gloves. I prefer the Coolibar brand but there are plenty of options and sun protective clothes become more common. I personally find avoiding peak hours and sun protective clothing more effective than just sunscreen. 

You're welcome! I hope you find a combo that works well for you 😊

I only wear sun hats when I'm outdoors for longer periods, but it would probably be wiser to start wearing them (and other sun protective clothing) more. I had hoped on finding a sunscreen to wear under my makeup and a solution with reapplying that wouldn't involve messing up my makeup, but that may simply be to just avoid sun hitting my face altogether, which is very doable. Thank you for the advice & suggestions!

For touchups, a cushion SPF would be ideal since it distributes the product evenly. A lot of the K-Beauty brands make sunscreen-only versions, but you could use a tinted one with SPF as well. I believe you can also buy empty cushion compartments and add your own liquid sunscreen in.

I have been using Missha All Around Safe Sun Essence Milk. It is a SPF 50 and it doesn't irritate my skin at all. They have several formulations of their sunscreen though, so you might look up reviews and see which one might work for you. I am very fair w/ sensitive skin and rosacea, so I also need a lot of protection because the sun is my mortal enemy. 

Just so i'm understanding correctly, you're saying I could put sunscreen or tinted sunscreen/compact makeup over my existing makeup without messing up my existing makeup because of the cushion? If that's the case, that sounds like an ideal solution for touching up my SPF coverage throughout the day since I haven't liked the SPF setting sprays and I'm not eager to shell out for the ColorScience powder, but I will if I have to.

I like using the Algenist Sublime Defense SPF 50 sunscreen under my makeup, but when I don't use the Supergoop Setting Spray, I like using the Colourscience SPF 50 powder sunblock.  There's one in fair and is SPF 50, but it is pricey.  However, it's much better than getting a sunburn or possible skin cancer down the line!  I carry one in my purse to touch up over makeup (doesn't disturb it) and one is in my downstairs bathroom to use before I leave the house at all times.

For the setting spray, Kate Somerville also makes a sunscreen setting spray for makeup.  I haven't tried it, but I likely will soon.  Maybe give that a try?  I've used other things from her line and never had a bad reaction.

The Murad invisablur has spf 30 and it wears really well under makeup - I used an entire bottle and never had a bad reaction or anything. It goes on completely clear and has a mild burring effect.  It is a little pricey but since murad is mostly a skin care brand it may be better for sensitive skin. 

http://www.sephora.com/invisiblur-perfecting-shield-broad-spectrum-spf-30-pa-P394397?skuId=1670181&i...

I'd check out the It Cosmetics SPF 50 Anti Aging Armour Beauty Fluid. It's very lightweight, absorbs quickly, it has a light, blurring type of coverage that color adjusts, has a soft matte/almost satin finish, and also works well under makeup as a primer. I wear it for no makeup days when I don't want to put on the CC cream or foundation, but still want a high SPF. Others that I've tried include the Shiseido SPF Fluid, LeRoche Posay Anthelios SPF 50, and Neutrogena Pure and Free SPF 50. They are all similar consistencies, work well with or without makeup. Right now though, the It Cosmetics is my favorite for my face. You can get a sample of it at Sephora to try out for a few days. The bonus for all of these SPF formulas (at least for me) is that they are all in small, easy to carry bottles. I wish all of my skincare was so easy to carry around!

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
  • upload_8994564353848175104.jpg
testing