Answer
Mandy99
Accepted Solution
Q:Any suggestions on how to prevent acne?
(0) Hearts

I'm 13 and starting to breakout a lot. My face is half covered in pimples and i'm pretty sure it's the begining of acne. I'm not exactly sure which products I should and shouldn't use on my face. Any ideas?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
babybear04
Answered

So far, it sounds like you've gotten a lot of great advice! Although I haven't personally tried the Murad acne kit, I've heard wonderful things about it!

I do, however, want to share a few tips I've learned throughout the years in regards to acne.  It might not totally clear your acne, but it will definitely help to prevent it!

1. First of all, never ever going to bed with makeup on is key. Always wash your face at night and apply whatever necessary treatments your using.  And if you're too tired/lazy at night, at least remove makeup with a cleansing towlette. Neutrogena makes a great one!

2. Don't over-wash your face, regardless of how dirty it feels.  Over-washing can lead to a variety of problems and can sometimes make acne worse.  My rule of thumb is to wash once in the morning and once at night (making sure to be very thorough at night).  And occassionally i'll cleanse once in the afternoon if it's super hot out or I'm feeling very dirty.  Whatever cleanser you decide to use, make sure you rinse thoroughly with water to remove any excess dirt/product.

3. In terms of acne products (like spot treatment, acne treatment gel, etc.) use them soley as directed.  Applying a product more frequently or using more than directed won't speed up the acne-healing process, rather it could potentially dry out your skin.  Take it easy and remember to follow the directions.

4. Take things slowly.  Whatever skincare routine you decide to try, don't rush into it.  Skin requires time to get adjusted to products, so ease into the process by using your acne products only once a day or every other day, then slowly adjust to everyday or however often your products say you should.  By doing this, you'll save yourself a lot of grief/potential irritation.  Just be patient--it takes time for things like this to work!

5. Be mindful of the purging process.  Alot of times when beginning new acne products, your skin can react by going through what is called a "purging" phase.  Basically, this happens when your skin is releasing all of the dirt and debris trapped under skin that is causing the acne.  So don't be discouraged if you notice your acne gets a little worse before it gets better--this usually means it's getting better.  However, if you do notice that acne is beginning to appear in places you don't normally get it or your face feels/looks particularly irritated/red/itchy, then there's a chance you might be allergic to an ingredient in the product or your skin just doesn't agree with it and you therefore should discontinue use and look for another product.  It may be hard at first to tell whether or not your skin is just purging, but give the product a good 4-6 weeks to work before making a decision unless extreme irritation is occuring.

6. Change pillowcases frequently.  It's so easy to forget this, but I always have extra plain white pillowcases on hand and I do my best to change them every couple of days.

7. Drink plenty of water! This is overlooked way too much, but is so important and is a big cause of acne for a lot of people.  If you have to, set a reminder on your phone to drink a glass of water.  Or always have with you a large plastic bottle of water that you can fill up on the go (plus it's more eco-friendly!).

8. Be gentle on your skin.  Acne is fragile, and being too rough on it can actually make it worse! 

9.  Lastly and most importantly...DON'T PICK!!! I know it's super hard to resist the temptation to pop that white head lingering on your chin, but picking can lead to scarring (which in my opinion looks even worse than the acne itself), infection, and a longer healing time.  And if you must absolutely pick (which I am guilty of at times) be sure you do it with clean hands.  I sometimes even do it with tissues so I don't get any germs in anything.  You can also get an extractor tool which is more sanitary/easier to use--just be sure you disinfect it before and after each use!

I hope all of this information doesn't overwhelm you.  I just felt inclined to share with you what I've learned over the years through trial and error and hours and hours of research.  Hopefully this information can be of some use to you and that you find the right skincare routine for you! Please feel free to private message me if you have any other questions!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Answers: 5
lylysa
Answered

First, you need to determine if it's genuine acne that you have or if you're just beginning to suffer from break outs.

If you get anywhere from 1-12 pimples a month and they occur maybe one or two at a time, maybe more so around your cycle, that's not full blown "acne".

If your skin is undergoing severe or extreme hormone changes to where you suddenly realize changes in your skin type, or are getting multiple blemishes at once or near one another and range anywhere from 12-15+ a month, you can consider yourself to fall more into the range of acne.

Acne can be brought on by a slew of reasons, everything from hormonal, internal reasons or through external and environmental factors.

You state that half of your face is covered in pimples, start off with an introductory kit to an acne reigmen like one from Murad.

http://www.sephora.com/acne-complex-30-day-kit-P375135?skuId=1440841

The kit comes with everything needed to cleanse, treat/exfoliate, spot treat/target treat, clarify, and hydrate for day and night.

The line relies mainly on the use of salicylic acid which is a beta hydroxy that not just acts as an anti-microbial on skin by ridding surface bacteria, but also works by helping shed dead/excess layers on the surface that can build up, clog pores, and exacerbate blemishes. It also works by promoting new and healthy skin cell regeneration so the skin that you're sloughing off, you're replacing with healthier cells.

Choose products that are oil free in terms of cosmetics, things that are lighter in weight and texture will allow your skin to breathe. If you want to start looking into mild coverage, try a BB cream from Dr. Jart, which is designed to be lighter on skin and also designed for acne-prone skin.

Other tips would be to drink plenty of water, maintain a healthy diet, avoid touching your face unless your hands are clean (this means avoiding resting your hands on your chin, cheek, etc.), washing your pillow case regularlly so oils won't build up, avoid heavy use of hair products around the hair line or bangs to prevent introduction of oils, and even wiping down your cell phone with anti-bacterial wipes every few days.

beautylovingirl
Answered

Look at the Murad Acne line this is a whole skincare routine already put together for you so there is no confusion. Hope this helps!

ChicDabbler
Answered

Do find out if it's acne first, per lylysal's advice, since sometimes the acne products have harsh chemicals that may mess with your skin texture if you don't actually have acne.

Also, do you have dry, combination, or oily skin? Clinique is great for basic skincare mantainance and mild acne. Murad acne line is very effective but can be a bit drying (good for oily, combo and non-sensitive skin).

beautylovingirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

I worked for a dermatologist for 12 years and the age that you are till about 19 or 20 is the major age range that came in for treatment of acne due to the changes in your body, life etc.Murad acne line will clear your skin and keep you on a good maintence program to help your skin stay clear.

IzzyMc
Answered
(0) Hearts

Im 13 too and I used to have really horrible acne, Ive heard previously that proactiv doesnt work but i tried it anyway and now my face is all clear, its amazing! Yes, it is a little harsh at first, but i was fine even with my sensitive skin. So i think you should try proactiv, at the beginning they send you really tiny sample sizes to see if you like it. I use it once in the morning amd once in the night and when i get back from school i wash my face with a gentle cleanser to remove makeup. Also, what has really helped is when i stopped wearing makeup like foundation concealer and blush, it really helps your skin clear up because it reduces the dirt that gets into your pores. i know it will be different or scary to not wear concealer for a few days but you wont need it after your acne is gone! :smileywink: if you do chose to wear concealer, try an acne treating one, Murad has a great one. I have also met up with a dermatologist and they prescribed me an additional gel for acne called tretinoin gel, it almost completely clears up my blemishes overnight! I hope this helped, i know how acne can really bring down your confidence, but honestly, i learned that people really dont pay attention to it at all :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • babybear04
    • beautylovingirl
    • Mandy99
    • IzzyMc