Answer
redkat333
How to prevent as well as cover up red nose on otherwise fair skin

I am 47 and my fair skin has taken on a red hue on my nose! While it is worse in winter cold, it is red in warmer months, too. Any suggestions on how to not just over it up, but comabt the problem, too, would be greatly appreciated.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 2
tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm not a doctor, but I do know that a red nose that seems to come out of nowhere can usually be explained in three words, "oversensitive blood vessels."

Smokers and people with thyroid conditions often have oversensitive blood vessels. In those people, simply entering an air-conditioned room can make their blood vessels clamp down as tight as a vise. This diverts blood away from the skin's surface. When their body warms up, however, the blood vessels open super wide. This brings a rush of blood to the nose, turning it rosy red.

A red nose can also be triggered by emotional stress. Stress causes a surge of adrenaline, which over-dilates the blood vessels. In people who are prone to this kind of reaction, public speaking, a breakneck schedule or a fiery argument are all likely to result in a red nose.

But if your nose turns red frequently or the redness persists, you may have rosacea—a common skin disorder in which the blood vessels in the nose become enlarged. Five percent of the population has rosacea, which usually becomes noticeable around age 30 to 40. In this condition, the blood vessels leak, causing a low-grade inflammation that makes the nose (and also the chin, cheeks and forehead) look like you spent too much time in the sun.

The redness can come and go but may gradually become permanent and more noticeable. It is sometimes accompanied by pus-filled pimples. In advanced stages, the nose can take on a lumpy, swollen appearance, as a result of tissue buildup.

Rosacea's exact cause remains a mystery, but doctors do know that it targets fair-skinned people, particularly those who blush more easily and frequently. Women are more likely than men to have rosacea, which may point to a hormonal link. Many women first notice a red nose at menopause, when estrogen levels fluctuate and hot flashes begin.

Sudden redness on the nose and face can also be caused by wind, high humidity and vigorous exercise as well as medications used to treat high blood pressure.

Scrubbing your face too hard and skin-care products to which you are sensitive can make the redness worse. So can alcohol, spicy foods and spending too much time in the sun.

Here's how to tone down a ruby nose:

Turn the tap to tepid.  Hot showers, saunas and steam rooms can force your blood vessels to overly dilate and stay that way all day.

Wash your face like it is fine silk. Stay away from abrasive cleaners and washcloths. Use only mild soap and water, and lather up with your fingertips. Blot dry and follow with a super-gentle moisturizer, such as a baby lotion. Avoid products containing perfumes and alcohol.

Use green-tinted makeup.  Applying sheer green makeup to red skin produces a flesh tone that virtually erases the redness. The green "color correcting" makeup can be found at Sephora and other department stores.

Blow on your soup. Any hot liquid should be tepid before you drink it to avoid triggering a vessel response.

Lay off the jalapeños and tequila. Spicy foods and alcohol cause blood vessels to dilate, which can make a red nose worse.

Ice. Holding ice in your mouth tricks your body's thermostat and keeps blood vessels from over-dilating in heated conditions such as entering a hot car or exercising.

Spritz your face with cool water. This also helps keep a red nose at bay during a workout.

Dress like a masked bandit. A scarf pulled up over your nose on wintry days protects against over-chilling and tripping off a vessel reaction. A thin shield of petroleum jelly smeared on your nose works well, too.

Take a deep breath. Stress relaxation may help counter the adrenaline hormones that dilate the blood vessels. Before a speech, for example, take several slow, deep breaths and imagine your body floating on a calm sea.

Don't treat bumps with pimple creams. If your red nose is accompanied by acne-like bumps, your doctor can prescribe an antibiotic such as tetracycline together with a topical gel. This two-pronged treatment interrupts the inflammatory response and helps control eruptions. If necessary, laser treatment can remove persistently dilated blood vessels and improve your complexion.

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

heyitslexx
Answered
(0) Hearts

hii (:

well i know that green tinted makeup cancels out redness.

so foundation with green undertones ,

or just a plain green concealer.

i LOVE the physicians formula green cream concealer!

many foundations at sephora have green undertone foundation for redder skin.

hope that helps!

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • redkat333
    • heyitslexx