curvygirli

help me with spf and skin tone

(0) Hearts

Hi everyone:smileyhappy: How are you? So I have a question about my skin care. I am Indian with medium brown skin tone and I have hyperpigmentation and acne prone skin.

I usually shower at night and then I use a basic drug store body lotion since my skin gets itchy after I shower.

When I wash my face ( morning and night), I use an aloe vera moisturizer.

I am wondering how to add sunscreen into my routine, and which one?

I tan really easily and my arms are three- four different shades at once.

Ideally- I would like someone to recommend me a body lotion and a face lotion that will not be oily or cause acne, will help with sun protection as well and possibly help with my skin tone issues.

I am very lazy so if it can do all of that in one product that would be ideal.

I read that aloe vera can help with fading skin marks so I was wondering if I should be using that as a body lotion to help with skin tone.

I'm confused as well on this:

Since I don't shower in the morning does that mean I have to put on sunscreen though? Do I put it on before I go somewhere and on parts that are naked? In general my time spent outdoors is usually going to and from my car/house so not much.

Should I use a sunscreen on my arms, face, neck, (whatever that is naked) during the day before I step out only? And at night when I shower do I just use a basic moisturizer and body lotion that doesn't have spf?

How often do I reapply? As I mentioned I don't spend that much time outdoors. I don't want to spend that much so under $20 would be ideal if it lasts for a couple of months.

So sorry for all of the questions.

lylysa

Re: help me with spf and skin tone

A great face lotion that will help with acne and oil as well as include sun protection is Murad's Oil Controll Mattifier SPF 15 which has ingredients to keep skin clear and guard against UV damage.

Aloe vera itself is going to be more of a soothing, nourishing ingredient, it won't help guard against sun damage or fade it,  when it's in fading or lightening products it's meant to help buffer those more potent agents so skin is sensitized or overwhelmed.

Sunscreen needs to be applied every day, even when it's overcast. UV rays (UVA and UVB) work by not only darkening pigmentation, but also breaking down healthy cells, elastin, and collagen, causing things like sun spots, lines, wrinkless, loss of firmness, and skin's texture feeling weathered. Look for sunscreens labeled as broad spectrum or with a PA+ rating, which means it's universally recognized on a scaling/rating system that shows equal effectiveness when judged on different tests spanning the globe. 

Sunscreen should also properly be applied in the rightf amounts, try to apply sunscreen at least 15 or 20 minutes before sun exposure. On average you need at least a shot glass worth of sunscreen for your whole body and at least 1/3 of a teaspoon for your face. Don't neglect areas like ears, neck, tops of the shoulders, chest, and hands, which often catch the most sun. Reapplying sunscreen is also important. If you're frequently in the sun for prolonged periods apply every 90 minutes at least. If you're also in and out of water, reapply every 40. Even though sunscreens are labeled water resistant or waterproof, the FDA has now banned sunscreens from being called waterproof as sweat, sun, activity, and water can and will break down all formulas. If you're indoors mainly, apply sunscreen in the morning, and then once you're back on the road or by the afternoon, slather a touch more on exposed areas (for example you work a 8-5, come 5 o'clock, apply some more for the drive home as the morning application won't be present or effective anymore).

Though clothes generally provide about a SPF of 5 or 10, if you know you're going to be in the sun for long periods, apply sunscreen all over before dressing, other than that, roll up short sleeves and cover arms, neck, chest, and hands fully if you're just out and about and going to be in and outdoors. 

For basics, try formulas like Neutrogena or Aveeno if you don't want to spend a lot. Go for formulas labeled oil free or even as a fluid, which will be better for oily skin and quicker absorbtion. You can even mix your sunscreen with your body lotion.

For face, at the bare minimum use SPF 15, try to aim for 20 or even 30. Though sunscreens come in a variety of SPF levels, know that higher doesn't necessarily mean better. The higher the number, the smaller the difference in terms of protection offered. So SPF 80 and 90 aren't much different, for body I like to use 50 or 60 at least.

If your skin is made up and you don't want to slather lotion or sunscreen over, try a setting powder with SPF can you and reapply without disrupting make up. Peter Thomas Roth, Color Science, and Bare Minerals all make powders that can be worn over make up that offer physical or mineral based sunscreens.

In regards to physical/mineral sunscreens and chemical bases is a matter of preference and what you skin can tolerate. Test a small amount on your neck or jaw and see if you are sensitive to either formula. Some brands combine both complexes for fuller coverage. Mineral sunscreens usually are titanium dioxide or zinc, some prefer this as they are natural occuring minerals, and chemical based sunscreens are usually avobenzone, meroxyl, oxybenzone, helioplex, or a slew of others (feel free to research more).  

In regards to fading discoloration, sun damage, or evening skin tone, there are multiple options.

Stronger chemical ingredients are hydroquinone, available highest at 2% without a prescription which works by fading surface discoloration and inhibiting melanin and pigmentation from darkening. Hydroquinone can cause sensitivity so be sure to use it at night only for starters and follow up with SPF in the morning after.

Other lightening ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (glycolic acid mostly, fruit enzymes, and lactic acid, milk proteins and sugars, vitamin c, resveratrol (grape seed derivative rich in antioxidants), vitamin a (antioxidant, more potent in retinol form, which may cause some sensitivity in that form so use with precautions like hydroquinone,), mulberry extract, licoric extract, kojic acid, or goji berry. Alpha arbutin is an ingredient like hydroquinone, that helps block melanin pigmentation, but is less likely to irritate.

Check into brands like Murad, Ole Henriksen, Caudalie, and Kate Somerville for lightening products to help even skin tone.

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 heart
  • 2 in conversation
    • curvygirli
    • lylysa