wingatprsct

Waxing bumps....any way to prevent these?

(0) Hearts

I just had my upper lip waxed for the first time.  I've always had little fine blonde hairs on the corners of my lip and they were never noticeable until now.  They are turning dark in color!  I had them waxed last week and pimple like bumps came up and formed scabs.  What can I do to prevent these?  I'm going to try to keep them plucked from now on if these bumps are going to come up every time.  Any suggestions?

roxystar4

Re: Waxing bumps....any way to prevent these?

I use a spray by sally hansen (it is for irritation - after waxing or shaving).  It works pretty well for me.

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I did go to a salon and they didn't apply any type of lotion before or after waxing.  After the bumps came up, I applied Shaveworks The Cool Fix.  I had a sample in my stash, but I think I waited to late to apply it.  I also used an aloe based healing lotion after the bumps started scabbing.  If I try waxing again, I will try prepping my skin before and conditioning it well afterwards.  I may also try threading.  It will be a new experience for me.  Y'all are awesome!!!

gigisd

Before you wax, try treating the area with plain tea tree oil.  It soothes, calms, and prevents irritation.

chelle478

I had that happen once a long time ago. It was a reaction to the after waxing lotion they applied right after waxing. We solved it by using Tend Skin after waxing instead of their usual lotion, which happened to contain lanolin, which I ended up being allergic to.

clarks18

Threading is a great alternative to waxing as it's not as harsh on your skin as wax.  Some people think threading is more painful than waxing.  If you are going to stick to waxing maybe try a wax formulated for sensitive skin.  Also when waxing before you apply the wax rub some baby powder on the area you are targeting.  The baby powder helps the wax adhere more to the hair than your actual skin.  Hope you find something that works for you.

sephoralovex

Did you wax your upper lip yourself? It could be that your skin isn't compatible with the wax? Like @latinadiva said below maybe try threading? I wax at home but I use waxing strips. And sometimes I do get small 2-3 bumps on my upper lip after waxing there but it doesn't turn into scabs or anything. It goes away the next day or so. 

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

What brand of waxing strips do you use?  I'd rather do my own waxing if I could.

sephoralovex

I use the Surgi-Wax for Face, Upper Lip, Cheek, and Chin. I buy mine at Sally's Beauty Supply but I'm sure you can find it anywhere online.

I only use these for waxing my upper lip and eyebrows and have been for 3 years now! Also, if you do get it I just wanna say that I dont follow the instructions because it won't work for me that way. What I do is turn on my blow dryer and get the strip somewhat hot but not to the point where it'll burn my skin. And after that, I'll pull apart the strip and apply it to my upper lip and press down and smooth it against my skin and rip it the opposite way the hair grows. Works wonders :smileyhappy: If there's like 1 or 2 small hairs left I will just pluck it. 

wingatprsct

Thanks!  I may give them a try.  I'll wait and let my hair grow out a little before I try them.

dianabt

Hello!

I agree, threading is such a painless and quick way to ease hair removal (in my opinion!) Clarks18 has a great tip on baby powder before waxing- it really helps to protect the skin so you don't rip that layer off (I've had that happen before as well, or gotten the breakouts!)

As for a pain-reliever look at the new Shaveworks Cool Fix Lip and brow Formula Post Wax Rollerball- My friend LOVES the shaveworks for his morning shave and always asks me to pick it up for him- It definitely helps so I love this mini rollerball size for the upper lip! :smileyhappy:

Shaveworks - The Cool Fix™ Lip & Brow Formula Post-Wax Rollerball

http://www.sephora.com/the-cool-fix-lip-brow-formula-post-wax-rollerball-P381194?skuId=1548064

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
latinadiva

I don't know if this sounds dumb or not because I have no clue if it can be done or not..but can you thread your upper lip? If so, that'd probably be a good alternative because it doesn't leave those bumps because it's not really messing with your top layer of skin. I went to threading a while back when I had to get photos done the next day and realized I had forgotten to wax my brows and specifically wanted to avoid the bumps/redness. Could be worth looking into!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • dianabt
    • gigisd
    • roxystar4
    • latinadiva
    • chelle478