callmefafi

Upper lip burnt from waxing...help!

So I purchased my own wax kit from Sally's about six months ago and I've been waxing my own lip and brows. The last I waxed my brows there was a little burn but I didn't think anything of it. i did however wax my lip and it caused a pretty big burn mark. I just thought that the wax was too hot. However, last night I did my upper lip again and it burned even though I know it wasn't hot. I really don't want to deal with scars for weeks and was wondering if there were suggestions to help me deal?

I did learn that using Retinol and other products that's include similar ingredients causes your skin to be thinner and burn easily. I guess I'm going to switch to threading because I love my Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Sleeping Facial and PTR Retinol Fusion PM. So maybe there'a a cream or product that can keep my upper lip from scarring. 

Thanks in advance!

callmefafi

Re: Upper lip burnt from waxing...help!

Just wanted to let you beauties know that my lip is doing so much better and to say thank you. I've been lathering on the neosporin whenever I feel it becoming dry. Just recently I noticed that there was this layer of skin/scab that was there but after I washed my face it was gone and this fresh skin underneath. This was only in one spot so I'm going to continue to smother my lip in it for a few more days. 

Special thanks to Quixotic! The argan oil seemed to soothe it. A friend of mine told me that I should use my PTR Retinol Fusion PM. I use the Argan oil afterwards. The combo looks as if its working. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I'm assuming you're already wearing SPF daily (even when indoors), but it's even more important now on the raw skin. I'd wait until your skin is almost healed until you start using the retinol again. If you have a glycolic alternative serum, that can help with increasing cell turnover & exfoliation, but I would only use it a few times a week. 

Next time stop using the retinol for a few days before waxing & always read all the instructions before doing something yourself. There's a reason why Aestheticians ask if you use AHA's, BHA's or retinol products before they wax you. I'm sorry you had to find out why the hard way? 

callmefafi

(0) Hearts

Yes, SPF 30 everyday. Not at night because it causes breakouts. The thing about this is that I wasn't placing any retinol on my upper lip area so it must be another product that is causing the skin to thin out so much. I did wait a few days before applying the retinol. My friend advised me on this as she studied dermatology in school. I ask her every question I can think of before trying anything new. She was as shocked as I was when I told her I burned my lip as she knows I don't have sensitive skin at all. But thanks for your concern. 

quixotic

Glad to hear you are healing!!!!

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Get 2nd Skin burn pads - it's a gel pad, that can be cut down to size, and heals faster. Last time I found them was at Walgreens, in the first aid area, but the real brand in the store brand box..store didn't even know.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/304155/album-id/8811/image-id/87523i79E3E3...

As for Sally's, that what that brand does...works for awhile then burns after not using for a bit. I do a test patch, even if not used for awhile.

heartsmyface

Vitamin e oil will help with healing and keeping the burn area moist. Noes poring is a good idea as well. Take care:smileyhappy: 

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

Have you soothed the burn yet? I find that fresh aloe works wonderfully on my burns and lessens my scars and scaring

quixotic

[ Edited ]

Be careful using fresh aloe if the skin on your upper lip is raw!  This is a lesson I learned the hard way - my first (and only) in-salon lip waxing, and the waxer ended up ripping off most of the skin on my upper lip.  I went home and put fresh aloe leaves on it.  The aloe felt great, but I woke up in the morning with the raw skin stained purple! Seriously, I looked like frickin' Groucho Marx!!!!  It took days for the purple to fade - I actually had to use sick time at work because I couldn't show my face in public.  Some aloes stain purple - if the skin isn't broken you'd probably be okay with fresh aloe, but if the skin is raw I'd use an aloe gel.

Another option is cold compresses and Vaseline to keep the skin moist.

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

I used the aloe juice and pulp. I only leave it on until it is dried and sticky, then I rinse off with cold water.

callmefafi

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'm using Neosporin to calm the burn. I need something that won't cause it to scar. I'm still using my Mia2 but avoiding that area cause I have oily, acne-prone skin and a day without cleansing will cause major breakouts. The washing makes it burn a little but I read that cleaning it and cause it not to scar as badly. How long before I should start putting my face products (Argan oil, moisturizer, etc) back on? 

quixotic

The best way to keep it from scarring is to keep it moist.  I kept my upper lip slathered with Vaseline for several days and it didn't scar. Neosporin will work too.  You might be okay trying the argan oil in a few days, but I would avoid anything else.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • quixotic
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • callmefafi
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • heartsmyface