Urbie

Treating raw, chapped nose

I've had a terrible cold, and my nose is killing me.  I haven't had one like this in a few years, and in that time I've started avoiding petroleum by-products, so I don't want to do what I used to do and slather on some Vaseline.  What other tips do you guys have for taking care of your nose while suffering from a cold?

bratknits

Re: Treating raw, chapped nose

You'd have noticed then if you were allergic, it's amazing stuff.  Wool that still has a lot of lanolin in it repels water like crazy, it's why they made fisherman's sweaters and caps out of it.

PoesRevy

I use this:

In a small amount, thus far I have not had an issue with it. I have not tried it for a cold, however continued issues with allergies and irritation from tissue use...it has been helpful to me.

Hope that you feel better soon.

AllyKatVA

I second this suggestion. Also L'Occitane's Shea Fabulous Serum, though if you are only going to use it on your nose when it is rubbed raw, it is probably a bit of a waste to get a whole bottle. Both heal and soothe really well.

Urbie

Thanks PoesRevy! I have bad allergies too- they're no fun!  

vanillammm

I read someplace to use diaper rash cream, because it helps not only with the dryness, but with the redness, too.

I have used it before with the chapped nose problem, and it worked great.

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Interesting!  I never would have thought of that!

BeautyJunkie325

For me - Aquaphor during the day & then Neosporin in the evening around my nostrils and slightly inside.  I have a capillary really close to the skin under my nose which ends up breaking and bleeding when I'm really sick.  So inevitably I'm trying to heal the chapped nose and where it is bleeding. 

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Thanks BeautyJunkie!  Aquaphor is actually what I used to use, but since it contains petroleum jelly and mineral oil, it is on my no-no list.  But it did work great!

lilyyy

I double vote for Aquaphor (medical grade petroleum jelly). It was an instant miracle worker after weeks of having a runny nose.

MDinMD

I currently have a nasty cold and I've been using the little sample I got of Josie Maran Argan Oil. Or you can use Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer, definitely locks in moisture. You can get a travel sized Cetaphil at your nearest pharmacy.

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Ohhh I have both of those!  I was putting on the Cetaphil, but it was making my sneeze like crazy.  I will have to try the Argan Oil out.

annonymous1

This just happend to me too :smileysad: my nose felt and looked awful!

either way, i use tsubaki oil from boscia on my face, i just dabbed a little around my nose and it healed right away 

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestion!  I don't have any on hand, but if I can just myself off the couch to run over to Sephora later, I will definitely try this out!

annonymous1

anything oil based will be good because it needs intensive moisture, my mom uses lubiderm though which works well too 

michmo

What has always worked amazingly well for me and my kids is the Rosebud Salve, however, that is petroleum based.   Since you are avoiding those products, maybe Josie Maran Infinity Cream would be a good option.  I also like Argan Balm too.    

crayzeeRN

Have you ever tried Aloe? Sorry you are feeling so sick! Soup coming your way!

upload_9090564210518455618.jpg

marydiva

(0) Hearts

mmm bacon :smileyvery-happy:

talinder

That soup made my tummy rumble.

Urbie

Mmm that looks delicious!!  I hadn't thought to try aloe, that is a great suggestion, especially since I have a big bottle of it in my medicine cabinet!

aviscardi

oh no. i feel ya I actually have a runny nose all year round lol. so the tissue makes my nose flaky after a while , but the only thing i really do is use vaseline. So Im not sure what other alternative there is

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • marydiva
    • kristallovesdogs
    • jojobe
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • lilyyy