DTalksAll

Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

Do you agree with her views on skincare products? 

I'm on a hunt for my Summer night serum & moisturizer. I think I'm going to purchase the Perricone Blue Plasma even though it stinks so bad of fish & I hate fish. I've been researching products a lot and one of the sites I was on was Paula's Choice. She is not a fan of the serum... Actually the more I read through her "beautypedia" reviews, it seems like she's not a fan of a lot of products. I also got a feeling she was mainly trying to push her own products and Olay. 

Examples: 

- She's against treatment cleansers since it's just "washed down the drain". I have to disagree with this. When I use a treatment cleanser, although they can be drying, I do see improvement in my breakouts. 

- Witch Hazel is bad. I find witch hazel to be an important ingredient when choosing a toner. She think it's just as bad as alcohol if not worse. 

Products she gave a "poor" rating to: 

- Anthony Logistic's Glycolic cleanser got a poor rating because it doesn't contain any glycolic acid. 

- doctor dennis gross's A/B pads since we can just skip step 2 by simply splashing water on our face to deactivate step 1. 

- Dior Capture Totale One Essential Serum because it's not a "miracle serum" since it's primarily just "water, slip agents, and alcohol"

- ExfoliKate

- Just about every Ole Henriksen product I love :smileysad: 

- Origins Checks & Balances, Charcoal Mask & every other decent product from them

- Most Murad products

I do agree with a few points she makes, like companies need to stop putting active ingredients in clear vials so the sun doesn't break down the properties of the treatment. Also jar packaging is a big no-no for her. I understand that some creams are too thick to be put in a pump, but what about those airless jars that Bosica & Dermadoctor are using? I hate sticking my fingers in jars & the air does break down the active ingredients over time... 

Overall though, I don't think I'll be going to her site when I'm researching a new product I want to try. 

aydasu

Re: Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

(0) Hearts

I don't know man I trust her products :smileyvery-happy: It made my horrible skin into something decent. I wish I knew about her products before my horrible breakout which left some deep scarring. 

skinjunkiem

(0) Hearts

As a chemist and a skincare expert I just wanted to mention that when it comes to specific ingredients you may not see inflamation and damage on the surface of your skin but trust me, it's there.  That's the problem with certain ingredients. You may think that they're not bothering you but in the reality they are and you may not see it for years later. They cause aging beneath the skin.   I have read Paulas choice and I have to be honest the research that's behind her beliefs holds true. You want to avoid certain ingredients in skincare and all costs even if you don't see the reaction on the surface. Trust me your skin will thank you in the future!

prettyangry

(0) Hearts

What exactly is a "skincare expert"?

redwagon44

[ Edited ]

As someone with a strong chemistry and research background, just because someone references a study in their claims does not mean that they are applying the results accurately to their situation.

For example, Paula hates on ALL alcohol in skincare, as shown in the article from her page, below:

"We must include the facts on how alcohol affects skin cells, because it's a free-radical bonanza. Small amounts of alcohol applied to skin cells in lab settings (about 3% alcohol, but keep in mind skin-care products contain amounts ranging from 5% to 60% or more) over the course of two days increased cell death by 26%. It also destroyed the substances in cells that reduce inflammation and defend against free radicals; so, not only does alcohol crash your healthy-complexion party—it trashes the furniture, too! Worst skin-care guest ever.

The damage to cells continues, and it's not pretty: Exposure to alcohol causes skin cells to literally self-destruct. Seriously—they just give up and go boom, and the longer the exposure to alcohol continues, the worse it gets for your skin cells. The same study found that only two days of exposure was dramatically more harmful than one day of exposure, and that was using an alcohol concentration of less than 10%, which is much lower than what's in many alcohol-based skin-care products.

This research clearly demonstrates the connection between free-radical damage to skin cells and alcohol exposure. Interestingly, this is exceptionally similar to the free-radical damage that results from excessive consumption of alcohol in the short and long term. Cheers to that? We think not!"

I bolded that last statement as a highlight of her overconfidence and over-application of the results of this study. The study was done in a lab setting, in vitro (aka a petri dish), which is drastically different than a topical test. She also uses these studies to put a blanket ban on all alcohols, even though many only use ethanol. 

TL: DR Just because you reference a study doesn't mean your conclusions are facts. 

greenporchlights

Actually, she isn't against ALL alcohols.

From the Beautypedia website: "There's a class of ingredients known as fatty alcohols, which are not the least bit harmful for skin. Often confused with the bad alcohols, such as denatured alcohol, the fatty alcohols include, among others, cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol. Typically, fatty alcohols are used as emollients and thickeners in skin-care products. Fatty alcohols are not irritating and, in fact, can be beneficial for dry skin. As far as your skin is concerned, fatty alcohols are about as related to skin-damaging alcohol/ethanol as a martini is to a cup of olive oil."

skintester

[ Edited ]

I strongly agree with your last statement. I've seen references misused several times. Just a couple of examples of misuse:

(1) quoting one sentence from the overview or conclusion to backup a claim without taking the methodology or results of the entire study into context

(2) not citing the original study and instead citing an opinion or review of that original study as reference (then when you read the original study it was obviously misinterpreted).

It's like that children's game of pass-the-message where the message is lost in the end. I understand weeding out fact from opinion can be time-consuming and we all like to get quick answers. However, if the issue is really important, I suggest that before looking at the article at all, to check for the author's potential conflicts of interest first and review the quality of references cited. Maybe this way, we can make better informed decisions about products.

redwagon44

Lol, reminds me a lot of this

upload_5083599307855603413.gif

greenporchlights

This looks like the recent Ebola scare in the US, except my boss was the one with the tin foil hat on.

redwagon44

My entire workplace was like that..... :/

they were convinced it was a government conspiracy to infect all Obama opposers so we could become the new communist state. I so wish I was joking. 

itscarin

Wut?  O_o

BuxomBabe80

Wow Redwagon. That's insane! 

redwagon44

Lol, I've just learned to not argue with crazy and stick to work subjects for conversation. 

carrierose

This is priceless! 

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

I've said this before in the past, but I think many people posting here would be interested in reading Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann, the 2006 edition. This is a real game-changer. She has a lengthy questionnaire in the front of the book that you take to get your skin type determined based on four characteristics. Then you go through the part of the book that discusses your specific type. This is a better book to check out of the library (if you can find it) because only 3-4 chapters at most will apply to you. But this book gets into specific ingredients to seek out and ones to avoid, and names some specific products. The downside of the book is it's older so some products listed are no longer made but because you are given the tools to look for, you can seek out and avoid products as needed for best results for your specific skin condition.

As an aside, this dermatologist/author created a website, and while it appears to have some of the book features, it also appears to be very incomplete. I'm not sure if the products shown on her site are ones she's affiliated with so gets commissions, or what. The 2006 book is much more thorough and was written when she had no motive other than to write a book.

After reading this book, I learned so much about my very sensitive, combo skin. For example, avoid AHA products and citrus acids-- no wonder my OH Truth Serum was messing up my face. How Paula's Choice relates to all of this is that in looking for products containing ingredients to seek and avoid, so many were eliminated for me that I ended up going with Paula's Choice for some of them. Her products have been outstanding in this regard. Those who don't like her because of her snarky reviews, or being "unimpressed" with her products, maybe you were using ones that didn't suit your skin type/condition.

Everyone has an opinion and that opinion should be respected, but it helps to be fully informed of one's own skin condition from all angles.

ETA: as far as I've been able to ascertain, Leslie Baumann has no connection to Paula's Choice, Some products listed in some categories for certain skin types are Paula's Choice ones, but Paula's Choice doesn't turn up in this book any more often than any other brand (in fact, likely much less often).

carrierose

Just requested this from my library!  I'm on a regimen and coincidentally it's Paula's Choice, and I also just started taking oral acne medication and prescription clindamycin (a topical cream.)  Maybe reading this book will help me sort out what works best topically for me so that in a few months, I can get off the oral medication, which is the only thing that has been able to keep me cystic acne free in the 10 years I've had adult acne.

kam71

Wow DiVWA, that's really cool....I will need to check this out...I'm all about learning what will suit me, etc...i'm actually questioning if I truly have sensitive shin.......The last book of that sort I read was a BB one and it was just to broad. 

TX! ~KAM

kam71

Of Geesh..sensitive skin, not sensitive SHIN.  But I'm a runner and have shin splints, so, ya know...:smileywink:~KAM

laynebr

I'm a skin care fanatic! 

That being said I don't go by what her reviews are. I go by what my skin likes and what I know about skin care.

I just recently ordered some samples from her and I have to say they are ok. For someone who's so quick to bash other products I had to see what all her hype was about. They're gentle but nothing that WOWed me. They're very basic in my opinion. They're what I'm using when my skin freaks out. Wouldn't repurchase again.

Clobear

Im surprised so many people dislike Paula's Choice. Personally, shes helped my skin tremendously. I used to have horrible acne, it was all over my cheeks and I felt so bad about myself. Having bad skin affected me emotionally, and after awhile I decided to try and fix it. So, I tried so many products from sephora ("they are expensive so the must work!" is what I thought at the time) like Murad, Origins, PTR, Shiseido, Philosophy, and many more. After wasting buttloads of money and having seen n o improvement in my skin, I was angry. I decided to look up ingredients, and came across Paulas website. The beautypedia intrigued me, so I looked up some of my skincare products. Turns out they weren't worth the money and didn't have any ingredients that could actually live up to the claims. I started to buy products that received a Best rating from Paula (not her product line, just ones with good reviews) and noticed a difference immediately. I used the best rated products for awhile, but I really wanted to try the Paula's Choice brand so I did. Turns out her products actually were pretty good (her BHA is amazing) and a few months later my skin is clear. 

I truly believe beautypedia isn't biased, at least not on skincare. The only makeup reviews I pay attention to from them are for foundation, because I do not want any foundations with alcohol or fragrance or generally irritating ingredients. Otherwise, I don't really listen to makeup reviews because everyone likes products for different reasons, and everything works differently on different people. Although, her website did make me realize that there are lots of drugstore makeup that is just as good as "high-end" stuff, and there are some high-end stuff that's pretty horrible. I used to be a makeup snob, but now I use some drugstore products and they work pretty well for a much lower cost!

Anyways, I enjoy reading her reviews and seeing her reasons laid out. If a nice product did get a bad rating for a dumb reason, just ignore the review! Plenty of times I buy makeup and skincare with lower than a best rating because her reasons for the bad rating weren't a concern for me! For example, she rates bareminerals original foundation as average, because of the basic formula and because it doesn't suit oily skin. Those issues I can get past, so I use the foundation. There is value in most of her reviews, you just gotta learn to use them to your benefit.

redwagon44

I just don't see how a skincare review couldn't be biased when immediately after the review she lists her own products as better alternatives.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 154 replies
  • 236 hearts
  • 71 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • tigerlilibet
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe