DTalksAll

Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

Do you agree with her views on skincare products? 

I'm on a hunt for my Summer night serum & moisturizer. I think I'm going to purchase the Perricone Blue Plasma even though it stinks so bad of fish & I hate fish. I've been researching products a lot and one of the sites I was on was Paula's Choice. She is not a fan of the serum... Actually the more I read through her "beautypedia" reviews, it seems like she's not a fan of a lot of products. I also got a feeling she was mainly trying to push her own products and Olay. 

Examples: 

- She's against treatment cleansers since it's just "washed down the drain". I have to disagree with this. When I use a treatment cleanser, although they can be drying, I do see improvement in my breakouts. 

- Witch Hazel is bad. I find witch hazel to be an important ingredient when choosing a toner. She think it's just as bad as alcohol if not worse. 

Products she gave a "poor" rating to: 

- Anthony Logistic's Glycolic cleanser got a poor rating because it doesn't contain any glycolic acid. 

- doctor dennis gross's A/B pads since we can just skip step 2 by simply splashing water on our face to deactivate step 1. 

- Dior Capture Totale One Essential Serum because it's not a "miracle serum" since it's primarily just "water, slip agents, and alcohol"

- ExfoliKate

- Just about every Ole Henriksen product I love :smileysad: 

- Origins Checks & Balances, Charcoal Mask & every other decent product from them

- Most Murad products

I do agree with a few points she makes, like companies need to stop putting active ingredients in clear vials so the sun doesn't break down the properties of the treatment. Also jar packaging is a big no-no for her. I understand that some creams are too thick to be put in a pump, but what about those airless jars that Bosica & Dermadoctor are using? I hate sticking my fingers in jars & the air does break down the active ingredients over time... 

Overall though, I don't think I'll be going to her site when I'm researching a new product I want to try. 

DiVWA

Re: Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

[ Edited ]

I've said this before in the past, but I think many people posting here would be interested in reading Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann, the 2006 edition. This is a real game-changer. She has a lengthy questionnaire in the front of the book that you take to get your skin type determined based on four characteristics. Then you go through the part of the book that discusses your specific type. This is a better book to check out of the library (if you can find it) because only 3-4 chapters at most will apply to you. But this book gets into specific ingredients to seek out and ones to avoid, and names some specific products. The downside of the book is it's older so some products listed are no longer made but because you are given the tools to look for, you can seek out and avoid products as needed for best results for your specific skin condition.

As an aside, this dermatologist/author created a website, and while it appears to have some of the book features, it also appears to be very incomplete. I'm not sure if the products shown on her site are ones she's affiliated with so gets commissions, or what. The 2006 book is much more thorough and was written when she had no motive other than to write a book.

After reading this book, I learned so much about my very sensitive, combo skin. For example, avoid AHA products and citrus acids-- no wonder my OH Truth Serum was messing up my face. How Paula's Choice relates to all of this is that in looking for products containing ingredients to seek and avoid, so many were eliminated for me that I ended up going with Paula's Choice for some of them. Her products have been outstanding in this regard. Those who don't like her because of her snarky reviews, or being "unimpressed" with her products, maybe you were using ones that didn't suit your skin type/condition.

Everyone has an opinion and that opinion should be respected, but it helps to be fully informed of one's own skin condition from all angles.

ETA: as far as I've been able to ascertain, Leslie Baumann has no connection to Paula's Choice, Some products listed in some categories for certain skin types are Paula's Choice ones, but Paula's Choice doesn't turn up in this book any more often than any other brand (in fact, likely much less often).

kam71

Wow DiVWA, that's really cool....I will need to check this out...I'm all about learning what will suit me, etc...i'm actually questioning if I truly have sensitive shin.......The last book of that sort I read was a BB one and it was just to broad. 

TX! ~KAM

kam71

Of Geesh..sensitive skin, not sensitive SHIN.  But I'm a runner and have shin splints, so, ya know...:smileywink:~KAM

laynebr

I'm a skin care fanatic! 

That being said I don't go by what her reviews are. I go by what my skin likes and what I know about skin care.

I just recently ordered some samples from her and I have to say they are ok. For someone who's so quick to bash other products I had to see what all her hype was about. They're gentle but nothing that WOWed me. They're very basic in my opinion. They're what I'm using when my skin freaks out. Wouldn't repurchase again.

Clobear

Im surprised so many people dislike Paula's Choice. Personally, shes helped my skin tremendously. I used to have horrible acne, it was all over my cheeks and I felt so bad about myself. Having bad skin affected me emotionally, and after awhile I decided to try and fix it. So, I tried so many products from sephora ("they are expensive so the must work!" is what I thought at the time) like Murad, Origins, PTR, Shiseido, Philosophy, and many more. After wasting buttloads of money and having seen n o improvement in my skin, I was angry. I decided to look up ingredients, and came across Paulas website. The beautypedia intrigued me, so I looked up some of my skincare products. Turns out they weren't worth the money and didn't have any ingredients that could actually live up to the claims. I started to buy products that received a Best rating from Paula (not her product line, just ones with good reviews) and noticed a difference immediately. I used the best rated products for awhile, but I really wanted to try the Paula's Choice brand so I did. Turns out her products actually were pretty good (her BHA is amazing) and a few months later my skin is clear. 

I truly believe beautypedia isn't biased, at least not on skincare. The only makeup reviews I pay attention to from them are for foundation, because I do not want any foundations with alcohol or fragrance or generally irritating ingredients. Otherwise, I don't really listen to makeup reviews because everyone likes products for different reasons, and everything works differently on different people. Although, her website did make me realize that there are lots of drugstore makeup that is just as good as "high-end" stuff, and there are some high-end stuff that's pretty horrible. I used to be a makeup snob, but now I use some drugstore products and they work pretty well for a much lower cost!

Anyways, I enjoy reading her reviews and seeing her reasons laid out. If a nice product did get a bad rating for a dumb reason, just ignore the review! Plenty of times I buy makeup and skincare with lower than a best rating because her reasons for the bad rating weren't a concern for me! For example, she rates bareminerals original foundation as average, because of the basic formula and because it doesn't suit oily skin. Those issues I can get past, so I use the foundation. There is value in most of her reviews, you just gotta learn to use them to your benefit.

redwagon44

I just don't see how a skincare review couldn't be biased when immediately after the review she lists her own products as better alternatives.

kam71

(0) Hearts

Bingo! redwagon...that's what bother's me about her site...I think she's more into trying to push her own line now than previously!  ~KAM :smileyhappy:

Clobear

(0) Hearts

I see where you're coming from, but she lists her products as better alternatives because they are better. It'd be disappointing if after her years of research, her line wasn't better then other products.They fit her criteria and go above and beyond what she wants in skincare and price so of course they are going to be what she considers good. Also, for people who don't want to buy her products (I was one of those people for a long time!) just look at her many many lists of other recommended products. I just really don't see how shes biased.

redwagon44

Well, this has been debated to death on here, so I'm not going to get into it. Just, words of wisdom, don't blindly trust people who are trying to sell you stuff. 

a5n8g8e2l4

I will never use her products. I will not support a woman who uses her reviews and books to promote her own line, while claiming to be "unbiased." Simply put, those reviews and supposed books about cosmetics ingredients are simply underhanded marketing for her own products!

At least be honest that you want to promote your products. Don't lie about being unbiased. Also, her hypocrisy in regards to ingredients has been mentioned already. She is a hypocrite and a liar, and again I will not support her or her products!

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I agree 100%.

southrules

I've got to agree with craftzombie--Her site gave one of the antioxidants I use a poor review.  I posted a favorable review of my account of using it for more than a year (another poster had already posted that they didn't understand the poor review it received) and her "admin" posted a snarky remark beneath it.  

With all the smart talk, I hope she understands the average consumer can see the bias, and as a result, I simply won't be purchasing ANY of her products.  Skincare and makeup aren't "one size fits all".  Paula's own dry skin and eczema are not the same as my oily skin.  I'll be focusing more attention to this site and makeupalley, where personal experiences prevail and there's less of a bias.

Redbus

(0) Hearts

Also, to quote from a blog on the issue of her inconsistency--often just to bash other products: the issue of mineral oil. Cited from: http://www.carolinehirons.com/2013/06/paula-begoun-rumour-mill-and-make-your.html

"Original post:

I had a comment (somewhere!!) that said something along the lines of 'I know you've said you don't like Paula Begoun'...

I've never said I don't like Paula Begoun! She has absolutely made a difference to how women view beauty products and counter staff - especially in the US.. I have great respect for her sticking her neck out and taking on the brands and their claims. 

All I've said is that I don't understand how someone whose website has previously written a scathing review like this about Eve Lom cleanser (worse than ME - really):

and this about Eve Lom TLC cream - both reviews refer to mineral oil in a (very) negative light:

Can then bring out a product that contains mineral oil:

And say this about mineral oil:

If it 'cannot become solid and clog pores' why say it does exactly that in the Eve Lom cleanser?

So what is it? Does it clog pores or doesn't it? Does it only clog pores in products that aren't Paula's Choice? It seems illogical to slag off one brand for using mineral oil and then use it in your own brand. 

On the plus side they at least print all their ingredients. (I will not stop going on about this.)
On the negative side the message is confusing to the average consumer.

That's all. 

No that's not all.

I still don't like mineral oil. Sorry P.

"

jisub89

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if the posts on Eve Lom have been revised but neither makes any negative claims on mineral oil itself. For the cleanser, the review is most likely referring to lanolin, cococa butter, and fatty acids (not mineral oil) as problematic ingredients for acne-prone skin. 

Nevertheless, sarcastic remarks in her supposedly 'unbiased' reviews do bother me even though I like some of her products.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I agree, She is saying that it's over priced for containing so much mineral oil....

Redbus

She's far from "objective". Her reviews are really pushing for the ideology behind her line by dismissing all those other lines that do not use the same kind of philosophy or ingredients. The polemics in her reviews are off-putting. Also, I tried to post a comment to one of her reviews of a product, and it got truncated. They did not ask my permission. Interestingly they are sneaky about it--they did not cut out the part where I say this particular product is better than some of the PC ones I've used, but instead cut out the substantial arguments where I gave my reason for why their critique of this product is wrong---such as there are many different grades of mineral oil and different species of the plant that was used in cosmetic products. From then on I trust them less and less.

infinitise

she just doesn't like anything natural and calls them irritating. so basically, anything that is different from her own products is bad. 

but I do like her acne treatment products. salicylic acid and benzyol peroxide have right pH level and is effective but thats all 

sulfate

(0) Hearts

She actually likes some natural products, but I think she doesn't like the ones loaded with potentially irritating oils or when they are marketed as being superior simply because they are natural (I actually prefer natural products but I get her point).  Just the other day I looked up her review for Andalou Naturals body butter which she gives a "best".  I bought it and love it.  I also respect that she lists if a company is cruelty free or not as well.  We all like Sephora but they test on animals and also delete many poor reviews too, and still, most of us continue to give them our business..   So, my point is we give plenty of business to other companies who aren't quite pure, so I don't judge her more than then the other entities.  

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

She hates Origins and the GlamGlow masks. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Fresh too if I remember correctly and juice beauty 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 140 replies
  • 197 hearts
  • 65 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • tigerlilibet