Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare for a preteen with sensitive skin/eczema?

The time has come for me to upgrade my son's skin care routine to something that acknowledges the onset of puberty along with his sensitive skin and eczema. I was thinking about First Aid Beauty but was wondering if anyone had other ideas? 

Re: Skincare for a preteen with sensitive skin/eczema?

Loccitane light comforting creams works wonders. moisturizing yet not oily/greasy and is soothing

@bethk I have a 12 yr old daughter who started having acne at the age of 10. My honest suggestion is that only thing that will actually help him is to consult a dermatologist about his skin issues. They will steer you towards right direction. They will not only give you the prescription for the days when his skin is acting up and needs extra care, but they will also tell you what regular skin care products will work best for him.

I spent over a year buying any and everything suggested by well wishing people but nothing worked for a long period. We started seeing the derm almost a year ago. Initially he only provided the recommendations about what regular skincare products she should use based on the ingredients and their %age ( which are surprisingly all from Neutrogena and clean & clear ) When we noticed these aren't enough, he prescribed two separate ointments for day and night. Initially she used them regularly but now she only uses them when she get breakouts which she has pretty regularly ( but they stay under control due to ointments) but her skin looks so nice and glowy despite of the acne.

I think it is worth a shot if you want to catch his skincare issues before they become a serious problem.

I actually just ordered the FAB cleansing set that has 2...

I actually just ordered the FAB cleansing set that has 2 gel cleansers and 2 bars. Hoping to get my 10 year old son on a decent ritual. I also ordered him a Luna face scrubber thing to use with it. Fingers crossed the bar works as well as the gel, since he thinks he needs a palm full to clean his little face.

I realized it was 2 separate sets I ordered. One was $10...

I realized it was 2 separate sets I ordered. One was $10 and the other $13, I think.,

@bethk, I have a new resurgence of eczema after having grown out of it as a kid. Some of the products that are helping me at the moment are Dr. Jart Ceramidin cream for the face (this is very hydrating and helps repair the skin barrier that is damaged for people with eczema), Sachajuan shampoo for scalp eczema, Neutrogena Light sesame body oil to use immediately after shower on damp skin and Dr. Jart sunscreen (non chemical, so it does not aggravate eczema issues). The first aid beauty line also works great. 

Hi, I'm a teen and also suffer from eczema and acne. I LOVE May Lindstrom's Blue Cocoon. When I apply it at night, it gets rid of all redness in the morning. The drawback is it's very expensive although I only need a tiny amount for the whole face. Soothes my acne too but you might want to check the ingredients as it contains essential oils that might exacerbate sensitivity.

Hi @bethk! My son also suffers from some eczema and we found that the FAB Ultra Repair Cream gave him a lot of relief. He had been using a prescription steroid ointment but it made me a little nervous since he was just starting puberty at the time. I had been using it as a moisturizer, and so we tried it out on him and it actually worked better. Less greasy, too, which was nice. His doctor told us if it worked, use it. But I would suggest checking with your doctor first.

Hi @bethk,

I suggest the First Aid Beauty Line. They have a great variety of products that work well with sensitive skin. 

My teenage nieces and nephews have used it and it works great for them. My sisters have very dry and sensitive skin and use the Ultra Repair Cream and love it! 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

@bethk I suffer from eczema in certain spots on my face, while still having combination skin (oily nose and parts on my forehead).  The following products I use on a consistent basis that I find work for me.  They are not all necessarily products found at Sephora, some are drugstore finds!

Facial cleansers - Simple Foaming face wash (unscented), Skin Laundry gentle foaming wash (lightly scented), Fresh Soy cleanser (lightly scented).

Facial lotion/cream - Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy cream (this is my everyday lotion to put on after shower or washing my face), Aveeno skin relief 24 hour moisturizing lotion (all over body), First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream (good on the face), Kiehl's Avocado eye treatment (good for dry skin close to the eyes since product does not migrate into eyes), Fresh Rose Deep Hydration face cream (good as long as I have no flare ups), Clinique Moisture Surge extended relief gel cream (again good as long as I have no flare ups).  The Aveeno and FAB products never burn my skin, while the others have burned when I have flareups and extreme redness.

Spot treatment for redness, open skin, flakes:  Skinfix Eczema Extra Strength Sheer Face Ointment (this almost feels like Vaseline so I used overnight or when I get home from work), Bite Beauty Agave Lip Balm (the bullet form is good to apply straight to dry patches during day use since it is not as greasy as the lip mask), Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask (very greasy and good for overnight).  Beware that the Bite products have lanolin so if he is allergic to that, you will not want to get these products.

Other notable mentions:  Fresh sugar lip balm (great for lips, but also great on dry skin spot treatment like the Bite agave products).

I am not one to use a ton of skin products due to the nature of my skin and how it reacts so I know my list isn't that large.  I don't use toner or serums or nightly eye creams because I never can find something gentle enough.  Hopefully something here helps your son.  Good luck!

Thank you so much! This is such a wonderful list. I really appreciate your taking the time to help!

Youre welcome!  I unfortunately know how hard it is living with eczema, especially while growing up and going to Jr. High and High school. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing