lovelyheather

SPF questions

I've been applying JM Protect Daily Sun Protection SPF 40 every morning and I want to make sure it is still working when I leave work.  I am getting ready for work at 6:30 am and not leaving the office around 5.  I have to stand outside for 10-15 minutes waiting for my bus.  Is my skin still protected or do I need to reapply before stepping outside?

So how long does sunscreen stay active after you apply it?  Everything I've read only mentions reapplying sunscreen after swimming or sweating.  Is this something I even need to worry about?

I have very fair skin that tends to burn rather than tan. Plus I have three immediate family members who have cancer (though not skin cancer, it makes me worry).  I just want to make sure I'm taking any preventative measures that I can.  

makeupobesessed

Re: SPF questions

Great question! I have a similar work situation and I wondered if it stayed on all day. I do dust on some SPF powder but I'm not consistent...now I will be.
dianabt

Hi Lovelyheather,

The JM SPf 40 sure is nice isn't it? My skin has gotten a lot more fair the older I've become and I tend to burn so quickly! Ran8 is correct though, I would definitely recommend that you reapply sunscreen on any areas exposed to the sun when you leave work. Even if you are using an SPF 40, it only means that the normal time it would take your skin to get burned? The SPF protects you 40times longer. But you still need to reapply. It's a bit tricky to explain but an SPF 40 is about as strong as an SPF 20, you can just wear the SPF 40 slightly longer before needing to reapply than the 20.

I would recommend that even if you dust an SPF loose powder on top of your makeup before you leave and maybe coat your neck, decollete and arms/tops of hands with another quick coat of an spf cream or spray just to be safe!

Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder with SPF 45

Also (even if it says for kids, its SUPER handy!) try the Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Sunscreen SPF 70

Or the Clarins 50+ Sunscreen Care Milk-Lotion Spray (slightly more moisturizing)

I hope my tips can help you too! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lovelyheather

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestions, Diana!  I was just looking at that Peter Thomas Roth powder and the Bare Minerals one as well.  

ran8

In short, you will need to reapply the product after work.  SPF is not an all day protection product. 

Depending on the activity and product instructions usually determines how often to reapply.  More sweating and water activities require a more timely reapplication to prevent sunburn.  Generally, reapplication every 2 hours or as instructed on the package.

Keep in mind the work environment is also a factor.  UV exposure from certain indoor equipment  and lighting is possible too.

Hope that helps. 

lovelyheather

Thanks!  I was pretty sure I would need to reapply, but it is always nice to get a second opinion. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • lovelyheather
    • ran8
    • dianabt
    • makeupobesessed