cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Reducing Chlorine Burns and Redness

Hello,

I am a competitive swimmer with normal but extremely sensitive skin. I spend close to 20 hours in a chlorinated pool a week and my face gets dry to the point it is constantly flaking off. It also becomes red and blotchy as well (similar to an allergic reaction rash). Can anyone recommend any products to reduce redness? Right now I am just using a ton of Vasaline. 

Thanks!

Re: Reducing Chlorine Burns and Redness

I would try using a moisture sheet mask or wash off mask - sitting with one of those for like, 20-30 minutes a week can really help bring moisture back into your skin!

Not sure what to recommend since the masks are all kind of ingredient heavy, but you can definitely check on your own what works for you and what doesn't.

A good mask for moisture is the Amorepacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Recovery Mask.

upload_1688122847602211716.jpg

As far as sheet masks go, there are a lot of moisturizing options but my favorite is the Dr. Jart Water Replenishment Mask.

upload_5994984620194233164.jpg

And finally, I used to swim a lot and my skin had pretty increased sensitivity too due to the chlorine damage. I'm pretty sure the redness goes away when the chlorine leaves too LOL but for the time being, maybe a soothing thermal water could help a little?

Like the Avene Thermal Spring Water

upload_5446667470108580100.jpg

I know it's just water but it feels so soothing and good post workout. You could also try spraying aloe vera or spreading it on your face, it should be good for sensitive skin! 

Hope this helps you out! 🙂

What are you sensitive to, ingredient wise?

Since you're a swimmer, you may want to get Aveda's hair and body cleanser to remove the pool, also color safe for hair. Make sure to remove the pool asap and hydrate inside and out.

Vaseline for constant usage isn't the best approach. Dermalogica ultracalming line is for redness, brand for sensitive skin, the barrier repair helps shield out the environment. They also have after sun products to calm the skin. Aloe too. There is possibly something out that that you can use on the face to act as a barrier to the pool, more than a typical moisturizer.

I've read vitamin c neutralizes chlorine, but since your skin is raw it may hurt..Patch test first. Lumene has a vit c line similar to OH, Ulta sells and cheaper.

I would also ask your doctor for advice.

Oh no, sounds painful! I found First Aid Beauty's cream super helpful when my face was flaking badly (pregnancy hormones). Maybe it will work for you?Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 9.17.32 PM.png

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos4
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 9.17.32 PM.png
  • upload_5446667470108580100.jpg
  • upload_1688122847602211716.jpg
  • upload_5994984620194233164.jpg
testing