kalex

Reaction to Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder

(0) Hearts

I just purchased Houglass' Ambient Lighting Powder in "Diffused Light" several days ago.  I've used a light dusting of the powder a couple times but didn't see the "lit from within" glow or any difference from any other setting powder.  So today I decided to use a heavier hand with it and when I looked in the mirror a few hours later I was RED.

Using a heavier hand with that powder is the only thing I did different today.  The only other time my skin reacted like this is when I used some acne products to counter a pimple I could feel coming on and absentmindedly followed with my usual PTR Retinol.  Otherwise, I don't typically have sensitive skin.

Could anyone who is familiar with  irritating ingredients take a look and let me know which of these I might be allergic to?

Diffused Light

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Olymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Olyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain : Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

kalex

Re: Reaction to Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder

(0) Hearts

@ beautytester - You know now that you mention it possibly reacting with other products... Yesterday I used it on top of my BB Cream.  I think I used my Lancôme foundation the other times I used the powder.  I'll try it with foundation and see if I have the same reaction.

@Manda - It has been a few years since I used mineral foundation and my skin type has certainly changed (oily to combo/dry) so I could definitely be more sensitive to it now.  I use my Guerlain powder w/o problems though and it has bismuth ocychloride.  Perhaps the Hourglass has a higher content.

Manda

(0) Hearts

It could have a higher amount.  I just know I have to be careful with any sort of powder (my skin apparently only loves Nars products and Lorac's primer).

Manda

I am going to agree with Keely that you might be allergic to Bismuth Oxychloride.  It is  one of the reasons why I cannot wear mineral foundations.

beautytester

Oh I just remembered, it also may be reacting to something in your skincare? I enjoyed my Caudalies eye&lip cream, and I have no problem with my Algenist serum, but when I use them two together the area where they overlap tingles/stings half the time (they are perfectly fine used separately with any other products in my stash). o.O. So maybe switch to a super basic skincare line with no active ingredients (brightening/anti-aging) and see how it is?

Ok, I'm done thinking now. =X

kalex

(0) Hearts

Thanks ladies! 

I've crossed checked the ingredients with my most often used powder (Guerlain Meteorites) and it has mica, silicones and bismuth oxychloride so those can't be it.  I've also used silicones and mineral powders in the past without issue.  I think I'll wait a couple of days for my skin to calm down and try it again to see if the same thing happens.

I go to my derm for my annual skin-check around my birthday in June (so I never forget).  I'll have to remember to bring in the ingredient list and see what she thinks!

keelybt

Oh how disappointing! The Bismuth Oxychloride stands out to me, as that is something my skin tends to have a problem with.  Have you ever reacted to mineral powders?

beautytester

I agree with going to a derm....I mean, some people are allergic to mica, but that's in almost every powder so it's not the problem. I see 4+ form of silicone, which you didn't mention having a problem with. I'm not sure why does a powder have acid in it, they are pretty further back on the list to cause any problem. Carmine can also cause allergic reaction, but it's a "May Contain" and pretty much everywhere so I don't think that's it either.....that's all I can think of, yeah, I vote for derm. o.O

melissabt

Hi Kalex,

Hmm, I think it might be best to make an appointment with your Dermatologists. They will be able to run some tests to check what you might be allergic to.

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • Manda
    • melissabt
    • beautytester