Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Perioral Dermatitis

Can anyone recommend products that help or at least do not irritate perioral dermatitis?  I heard REN Everclear helped but it has coconut and I have an allergy.  Anything else?

RE: Perioral Dermatitis

Hi All, This is a good one! I was diagnosed with perioral dermatitis last winter and wow was I in for a surprise. With all my research and personal gutting of my skincare and makeup I was able to break it down to what I can and cannot use. As a few of you have mentioned you cant have any SLS, dimethicone, parabens, fragrance, ( for me some citrus was the culprit as well). So I felt like I was at my wits end here. Long story short when I was at the peak of this I narrowed my options down to Belif- chamomile line, tarte- for makeup, and tata harper ( reparative moisturizer). Using that regiment for about 2 weeks my perioral was tamed! Keeping in mind this is a very difficult skin condition that you have to play with to see what works for you. But as I can attest, this regimen cleared me up completely and until this day I can play with a few more products but still having none of those ingredients in them. Hope I was a bit of help!

Re: Perioral Dermatitis

I am a long time sufferer of Perioral Dermatitis.  For those who suffer from it, you know it can be debilitating:(

What works for me:

Homemade Toner - Bottled Sping Water + Pharmaceutical Grade Tea Tree Oil (adjust to your liking)

Gentle, SLS-free, gel cleansers: Boscia cleansers from Sephora work well with POD.

My absolute favorite cleanser for POD is IS Clinical Cleansing Complex.  It will change your life!

Light Moisturizers should be used sparingly, NO creams, butters, topical steroids, etc should be applied to POD.

POD is NOT eczema and requires drastically different treatment.  Less is more for POD sufferers.  Skin needs to breathe.

Only the lightest products free from SLS, parabens, and phlalates should be used.

My POD does respond well to products containing green tea, mushroom, hyaluronic acid, licorice, low concentration BHAs & AHAs, essential oils, etc

Corticosteroids should NEVER be used on POD 

Taking a good probiotic is very important as well for POD sufferers

When experiencing a POD break out, try to ONLY cleanse skin with the homemade toner above & nothing else.  If you absolutely need moisture, then only use pure aloe vera, or a moisturizing essence.

hi i know this post is super old...but has anyone found an eye cream that doesn't irritate perioral dermatitis? my eye gets all red, dry, scaly, peely, and I don't know what to use for it

oh! also, i guess I'll include what products don't irritate my perioral dermatitis. my list is small

-Purpose facial cleanser (from target! cheap. my HG cleanser)

-Tonymoly I'm Real Sheet Mask in Avocado (they put a lot of essence in it, so I keep the extra essence after using the mask. And rub it on my face the remaining days. I have dry skin, so it hydrates my skin a lot)

Hi @LisaReviews The PTR Cucumber mask has been really helpful for me. It is very soothing and will help take the redness out. 

These are really the only things I can use during a flare-up:

- PTR Cucumber mask

- Fresh Soy Cleanser

- Fresh Rose Toner

- Rosewater spray

- Glossier Priming Moisturizer

- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizer

- Caudalie SOS hydrating serum

- Kate Sommerville Goat Milk Moisturizer

My dermatits triggers are Vitamin C, rich and heavy creams, sunscreens and spf foundations, and whatever is in the Belif Aqua Bomb Moisturizer. So I stay away from those.

Here is a link to another thread where people talk about dermatitis and other skin conditions:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Dermatitis-Skin-Reactions-to-Products-Skin-Allerg...

Have you found any sunscreens that do work for you? I've narrowed down sunscreen as one of the things that irritates my dermatitis as well, but I hate to go without it!

@elise222 So far this Shisedo for sensitive skin and children is the only one.

I still have to take breaks with. I wore it on my face every day for a 2 week vacation in Florida and was ok, but by the end I could feel that if I kept it up the rash would show up. It's a lotion so it's not too thick, but it can leave a white cast. I am extremely pale so it just kind of perfects my skin lol

I would just recommend trying to find the lightest weight sunscreen you can.

http://www.sephora.com/ultimate-sun-protection-lotion-broad-spectrum-spf-50-wetforce-for-sensitive-s...

Hi, LisaReviews!

If you're currently experiencing perioral dermatitis and have an allergy to coconut, I would advise checking into the brand First Aid Beauty, specifically their moisturizer and cleanser for starters (newer products in the line do contain coconut, so just be sure to go over specific product formulas to be sure they do not contain this component).

The Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration is a great formula for those with distressed, dry, or itchy skin. Even those with eczema can use this formula. 

Hydrators like glycerin, fatty acid alcohols (beneficial to skin and not drying/harsh), and shea butter are combined with colloidal oatmeal which serves to soothe inflammation and eases itching. Other gentle conditions such as squalane and allantoin are cocktailed with calming feverfew and anti-oxidant rich white tea extract. The use of ceramides are also incorporated, this component aids in moisture retention to help ensure skin isn't dried out or dehydrated quickly, so the perioral dermatitis discomfort is kept to a minimum.

Even though the brand is allergy tested, paraben free, void of sulfates/harsh detergents, and don't include artificial fragrances, I would recommend checking with your doctor or health care professional to see if they would advise moving forward with this line or any other product you may be considering just to be sure. If possible, do spot tests on smaller regions to see if it may interact well with skin to continue use or if irritation occurs and you will have to discontinue.

If there are any components or ingredients that you are aware of or have been told by your doctor to avoid or look for, please share those with us so we can narrow down more products for you!

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing