lilmissphancee

Need help forming a skincare regimen please.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm 22 and I have oily-combination skin and I don't break out as much (maybe 1-2 spots/month), but I have a lot of acne scarring that I'm trying to lighten. Every morning/night I use a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen (mornings only). My skin has become pretty resilient to different products over the past few years so I switch up my skin care products without any bad reactions. I have a lot of treatment products for acne and scarring, but I'm not sure how to incorporate them into my skincare routine.

Products I'm currently using:

Cleanser: Origins Checks and Balances (daily) & Murad Clarifying Cleanser (

occasionally)

Toner: Dickinson's Witch Hazel & Bliss Steep Clean Mattifying Pads (occasionally)

Eye Cream: Kiehl's Rosa Arctica (nights)

Moisturizers: Origins A Perfect World (mornings) & Origins Youthtopia (nights)

The products I want to incorporate are:
-Origins Modern Friction Dermabrasion Exfoliator

-Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Daily Face Peels
-Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment
-Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel

-Ren Resurfacing AHA Concentrate

Would it be safe to use these products in the same day/week? For example, the face peel in the morning, the AHA concentrate at night, the spot lightening gel at night just on the acne scars, and the exfolikate/modern friction 1-2x a week. Or would this be too much for my skin? I heard that some ingredients cancel out one another, so it's not safe to use too many products, but I'm not sure which products/ingredients I shouldn't use together.

Sorry for the long question! I'm really stuck at how and when to use these products and I'm worried they are going to expire before I get a chance to use them long enough to see results. Any advice or regimen would greatly help me! Thank you!

beautylovingirl

Re: Need help forming a skincare regimen please.

@lilmissphancee- Your very welcome!:smileyhappy:

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

me.jpgI HONESTLY HAVE TRIED ALL THOSE BRANDS AND THINK THAT OLE HENRIKSON IS BEST! FOR ME I SWITCH EVERY DAY BETWEEN A MASK AND A PEEL..NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND I HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN..ALSO DONT FORGET THAT AFTER U DO THIS TONING IS IMPORTANT..FOLLOWED BY A SERUM BASED ON YOUR SPECIFIC SKIN NEEDS..AND THEN MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE! THAT THE ONLY WAY TO GET OR KEEP A DEWY COMPLEXTION..HOPE THIS HELPS!

lylysa

You've gotten some great advice so far, just to add to it, if you go with a physical exfoliant, just pick one, either the Origins or Kate Simerville, no need to use both. Maybe get samples the next time you're in Sephora to see which one you like best!

To be honest, I would opt to use the daily face peels in the PM rather than the morning, since they combine alpha and beta hydroxy acids, you don't want to kick off the day with overloading your skin with too much, especially with factoring exposure to the sun. It's a great plus you're using SPF in the morning, this is wonderful for all skin types! The Murad lightening gel is quite intensive with the use of hydroquinone, if you're looking for an AM and PM treatment (like how you mentioned possibly using the pads in the day and gel at night), try Ole Henriksen's Truth Serum, it's a potent dose of vitamin C which helps to brighten and even skin tone gently and won't cause sensitivity in the day, especially with sun exposure. If you do the Murad gel in the AM, I would opt for bumping up your sunscreen to at least 30 or even 45. The Truth Serum also helps to boost collagen production, so for areas of post acne marks and scars that might be a little uneven in texture, you'll be helping those spots out too. The Ren concentrate is something I would say isn't needed if you do indeed use the daily face peels, just because both would be your chemical based exfoliant so you can do one or the other.

Natural32

Its good that you are looking at chemical exfoliators which are goood for acne scars, but don't incorporate them all. Only chose two of the products you want to incorporate like the Origins exfoliator and the Ren concentrate. The reason i say you should only choose two products is because if you incorporated all the product your skin would become overly acidic because of using too many products with chemical exfoliators. I once made my skin overly acidic when i used three new products with glycolic acid in them to help with my acne scars but it didn't help at all. After this little incident my skin looked nasty and terrible. Hope you will take my advice into consideration : ).

lilmissphancee

Yes, definitely! I know that using too many products can be harsh for your skin, but I never knew that skin could become acidic. I switch between a few of these products pretty often and I've never had an bad reactions, but I'll definitely be careful with the ingredients and products I use together. Thanks for the heads up! :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

@lilmissphancee- No there fine to use together your doing right they will be just as effective together and their perfectly fine to use that way. Your on the right track just keep up the good work!:smileyhappy:

lilmissphancee

Phew, what a relief! Thank you @beautylovingirl!

beautylovingirl

For sure kick out the witch hazel products if your using Dr. Gross' Face Pads there's no need to use a lot of other products. If your going to alternate this with a product to help I would use it with the Murad Spot lightening gel. Those are going to be the best to help with the acne scarring. Then if you wanted to incorporate the Ren resurfacing you could work that in 1-2 x a week but I would use the pads and the resurfacing concentrate on different days. But I would definitely not use the witch hazel product at all it's just not good for your skin. Also you don't need all these products to help your skin  with all the exfoliation going on with the Ren and Dr. Gross' pads that clearly enough. Using the pads and the ligtening gel on the same nights/days are fine. Hope this helps!

lilmissphancee

Thanks for the advice! I don't use a separate toner w/ the Dr. Gross Face Peels because I know the instructions said not to use the peel with products containing alcohol. Since all of these products are pretty strong, I don't plan on using them all at once, but maybe 2-3 in the same week. So far, I've been using the peel w/ the lightening gel on the same nights, but since both products claim to lighten scars, I was worried the ingredients would cancel each other out or not be as effective together than when used separately. 

ChicDabbler

Stuff with retinol and those with glycolic acid should not be combined. As for the products you are incorporating, please do NOT use them in the same day. It will be waaay too much for your skin. Overloading your skin with products will NOT make your scars go away any faster, because they don't affect how fast your skin cells turnover, and might be harsh enough to cause redness/flaky patches.

These products are meant to be used 2-3 times per week at most:

-Origins Modern Friction Dermabrasion Exfoliator
-Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment

You can switch between them. Every 3 days or so, pick one of the 2 to use.

These can be used daily, but if you are using something that can cause skin sensitivity (Exfolikate), then I recommend using these on days that you are not using those.

-Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Daily Face Peels
-Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel
-Ren Resurfacing AHA Concentrate

lilmissphancee

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice! I know that scars take a long time to heal and I'm not in any hurry. I wasn't planning on overloading my skin with so many products, I was just giving an example because I wasn't sure which products were ok to use with each other. Thanks again!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl
    • JGSFLA
    • Natural32
    • lilmissphancee