LariTheLoud

More effective alternative to FAB Facial Radiance Pads?

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone! I tried a search, but didn't find a good answer to my question, so I'll give this a try.

I bought an FAB kit for what I thought was a bargain (full-sized Ultra Repair Cream, Facial Cleanser... which I'm not sure I'll ever use!, and Facial Radiance Pads). The Ultra Repair Cream is okay, but I doubt I'll repurchase, and I plan to go back to my Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream. I am now reaching the end of my pack of Facial Radiance Pads, which I have used almost every evening since I purchased it.

With the Facial Radiance Pads, I really like how it makes my skin feel nice and clean, but I don't think it 'peels' or exfoliates as well as it says it does. In fact, I'm not convinced it's having much of an effect at all on my skin! It seems to behave more like a toner than like a gentle exfoliator or peel, and I've never found toners to do much for me other than dry out my skin (which, granted, this one does not, but it doesn't have a very visible positive effect either). What I am looking for is a product that will encourage quick skin cell turnover and help even/smooth out my complexion. I have combination oily and blemish-prone skin, mostly link to hormones. In the distant past I have tried salicylic acid acne treatments and I honestly did not have any luck with it -- my skin improved once I stopped acne-targeting skin treatments! -- so I'm wary to add it back into my routine. Maybe sticking with AHA treatments is a better bet for me.

All this said, what should I try next instead of FAB? What product would be a stronger/more effective exfoliator than the Facial Radiance Pads? I don't want any physical scrubs because I am close to certain that will irritate my skin. I've heard Peter Thomas Roth and Dr. Dennis Gross has some good products that do what I'm looking for. I am a little overwhelmed by the choices out there, so anything to narrow the playing field would be amazing. Thanks!

DTalksAll

Re: More effective alternative to FAB Facial Radiance Pads?

Another vote for OH lemon peel! 
DDG A/B pads are nice too. The thing with daily treatments is you're not going to see results overnight. They take a while to actually start to work. DDG does have an extra strength version, but it's usually a better idea to start off with the regular first & work your way up. When I use them, I cut them in 1/2, stick it back in the foil & then seal it in a baggie. They are expensive, but you can get 2 uses out of them. 

I also have the PTR Un-Wrinkle pads. They aren't as strong as the DDG, but they do a better job than the FAB. I cut those in 1/2 too since the pads are huge in the jar. 

LariTheLoud

Definitely plan on starting with the regular strength. "Extra Strength" always makes me a little wary. I cut my FAB Facial Radiance Pads in half, too, so that's no problem for me. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the three recommendations! I'm sure I'll find something that works for me.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

My vote would be for Kate Somerville's Clinic-To-Go Pads, for starters, the alpha hydroxy acid used is lactic acid, which is the more gentle AHA acid in that family, the particles are larger so overwhelming the skin and causing sensitivity is less likely, plus the fact that lactic acid is derived from milk proteins and enzymes, they naturally help to calm, soothe, and ease redness or sensitive skin (which works well since you mention acne-prone skin and worrying about physical scrubs irritating).

Like the FAB pads, there are no harsh alcohols in the CTG pads from KS, and acne is actually treated with the use of witch hazel (a natural astringent that helps to clear pores and increase resiliency in pore walls), onion bulb powder (which aids in healing scars, also utilized in products like Mederma) along with sage extract (also known for healing properties), and sulfur (commonly used to target breakouts).

Vitamin C helps brighten and even skin tone along with the lactic acid, and niacinamide, a vitamin B derivative, helps in cellular regeneration and repair.

The pads are more potent than the FAB ones, so usage is about 2x a week rather than daily.

Kate Somerville - Clinic-To-Go™ Resurfacing Peel Pads

LariTheLoud

Lylysa, I absolutely love Kate Somerville products. I have had good fortune and good responses to every one of her products that I tried. Do you think I could request a sample direct from Kate Somerville? If not, I might just be willing to dive right in with this one considering my track record with the brand. 

I'll probably try the small pack of Ole Henriksen power peel, too, and see which I like better!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I've been to a few Nordstrom locations where they've had the CTG Peel on hand and will either demo the product there on site for you or allow you to take it home.

I've written into KS for samples so I'm not sure if that's something the company does, but it's worth a shot!

The pads are super nifty, the back has a pocket to stick on your fingers so you're not getting product all over your hands/fingers and it's just ripping the plastic piece off the front to reveal the saturated pad.

It's enough to do your face, neck, decolette, chest, and backs of your hands (I'm a stickler for the backs of hands since driving around my hands are always in the sun while on my wheel). It is a rinse-off peel, so you can always apply before you shower, wait the time frame, then rinse off while bathing.

DTalksAll

Oooo I like the rinse off peels. PTR un-wrinkle is rinse off. I like to use it in the AM on the days I'm not washing my face. I'll have to look at this one when I run out of the bagillion pads I already have. 

Loretta55

Lari,

When I received a sample of these I thought it reminded me of Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleansing Pads. They retail for about 7.00. They are available at most drug stores.

LariTheLoud

I'm always happy to hear of a cheaper product that does the same thing! Thanks, Loretta!

michmo

I used to use the facial radiance pads, but I didn't like the residue feel it left on my skin.  I changed to Clinique's Mild Clarifying Lotion.  It is alcohol free.  I use it like a toner.  I've found does help a bit with exfoliating and it has helped keep my skin clear.  

http://www.sephora.com/mild-clarifying-lotion-P122663?skuId=1295732

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

HMMMMM... The last time I tried Clinique skin care, to be perfectly honest, was way back when I was a teenager, probably 14 or 15 years ago. It did not help me much back then, but I have to admit my skin care routine and knowledge was pretty paltry back then, too. I don't think I moisturized like I should have. I wonder if I'd have better results if I tried it again?

Urbie

Just in case the Ole peel is too strong, and you do want a daily peel, I'll vote for the Dr Dennis Gross ones.  I personally prefer the Origins one, but it is probably too gentle for your needs- Dr. Dennis Gross worked well for me, although I could only use it every other day, and definitely feels like/has the results of a peel

LariTheLoud

Awesome! Thank you so much for the recommendation, Urbie! Regarding Origins, I used to use their Perfect World moisturizer, but I found that Kate Somerville's made my skin much happier and softer. Now I have two I can look at.

sdbeautyjunkie1

I agree the Dr Dennis one feels like I could use it daily as well 

bratknits

Any daily product is going to be pretty gentle, have you thought about a weekly peel instead?  I use the Ole Henricksen Power Peel once a week and the results are instant.  There's also the Flash Peel if you just want the one step.

http://www.sephora.com/power-peel-trade-professional-spa-grade-kit-P375421?skuId=1431956

http://www.sephora.com/lemon-strip-flash-peel-P375423?skuId=1459189

sdbeautyjunkie1

I second the power peel. This is the one product I can say has given me instant results. 

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

I'm certainly open to a weekly (or biweekly) peel rather than a daily! I actually haven't tried any Ole Henriksen products yet. I've only heard of the Truth Serum, but none of his other products. Do you know if Sephora offers samples of either of these products? I know you can get samples of liquid products, but it'd be nice to give this a test run before committing. My skin is far less sensitive than it was when it was younger, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

sdbeautyjunkie1

They sell a trial of the power peel. It contains two for $20 I think. 

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

That sounds PERFECT. I guess it's similar to the trial size of the Glamglow Youthmud (which I actually wasn't too impressed by)? Is it a safer bet to order online or do they usually carry it in stores, too?

sdbeautyjunkie1

Order online, stores are hit or miss. I can send you one to try if you want 

LariTheLoud

Thanks for the offer, but I don't mind ordering the smaller size myself so you can keep yours - I'm going to be making a skincare order from Sephora.com soon anyway. :smileyhappy: It's very kind of you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • Urbie
    • michmo
    • bratknits
    • Loretta55