placaminero

Looking for aluminum-free deodorant for my sensitive underarms..

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've never had a problem with drugstore deodorant, but I wanted to make the switch to aluminum-free. I first purchased Tom's of Maine Natural Long-Lasting Apricot Aluminum-Free Deodorant Stick. It smells like fruit loops and kept me odor-free. Unfortunately, I ended up getting a painful red rash under my arms. So I discontinued use and opted for Lavanila's Healthy Deodorant.. Same results.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions what I should try next? Like I said, I've never had any sensitivity issues before using drugstore deodorant with aluminum.. But I'd really like to steer away from that..

roxystar4

Re: Looking for aluminum-free deodorant for my sensitive underarms..

Pure Hearts Clean Hands DO works well and is very gentle

ragdoll4mom

(0) Hearts

I had this same problem.  I found that Weleda, EO, Fresh, and Alba are the only deodorants that don't cause a rash.  Of these, Fresh and Alba work the best at keeping me odor free.

SpringKam

(0) Hearts

Lavilin is a really reputable choice.

It was recently published in NY Mag as the top natural deodorant they tested:

See it here: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/07/any-of-these-hippie-deodorants-work.html#slideshow=/slideshows/2013/...

SpringKam

(0) Hearts

Lavilin is a really reputable choice.

It was recently published in NY Mag as the top natural deodorant they tested:

See it here: http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/07/any-of-these-hippie-deodorants-work.html#slideshow=/slideshows/2013/...

LolaVal

Hi placaminero,

I'm sorry about your rash.  That's horrible!  My husband is allergic to aluminum and I was able to find him an aluminum-free, alcohol-free deodorant from L'Occitane called Eau des Baux Stick Deodorant.  This brand also has other deodorants that are aluminum-free so I would suggest giving them a shot.  Good luck!

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I didn't even think to check out L'Occitane.

newermexico

Mennen Speed Stick deodorant, Ocean Surf scent

buzzbee3

I had the same problem. The only one that doesn't seem to give me a rash is the Kiss My Face natural active life stick (not their liquid rock roll on). I went through quite a few deodorants that either broke me out or didn't work before trying the Kiss My Face ones. They work amazingly well!

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Oh, I'll have to look into them too. I think I'll actually try them first, since I should be able to find that in a few stores versus ordering. I need something pronto! Thanks!

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your rash. That sounds really uncomfortable.

I have tried MANY natural deodorants - about 12-15 of them (none really work for me- I have to reapply mid day). 

Have you tried Lafe's?  Also, maybe an unscented kind?

Lately I have been using TOMS unscented - ok results.

And Pure Hearts Clean Hands deodorant in lemongrass:

Here are the ingredients:

Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Sodium Bicarbonate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Beeswax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopherol(Vitamin E), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil.

lemongrassdeo_1.png

The Pure Hearts has worked the best for me (out of the 12-15 I have tried) but if the shirt is really tight it leaves an oily residue (from the cococ & shea butter is my guess). 

So I am still on the hunt for a good all natural, aluminum free deodorant that works for me. Maybe I will try lavanilla :smileyhappy:

placaminero

(0) Hearts

I just looked up the Pure Hearts deodorant and I think I'll have to check it out! I wonder if maybe applying a little bit of powder after you put it on would counteract that oiliness? I've never heard of Lafe's either, so I'll check that out too. 

I really liked Lavanila. The scents are fantastic and it seemed to work for me, rash aside. It's a little pricey, but I definitely would've paid for it again if it hadn't been for my reaction to it.

Thanks again! 

roxystar4

pure hearts clean hands runs promotions sometimes if you subscribe to their newsletters they will email you.  I think I paid about $3.50 for mine about 8 months ago.

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Awesome! Thanks!

jennypenny1995

I use LaVanila for that same reason: healthier and no rash.  My rashes, though, are from the antiperspirant ingredient, I believe, so I've been good with LaVanila.  You may want to see your doctor and get them to treat you and/or refer you for allergy testing/dermatologist.

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Seeing someone will definitely be my last option! I think I'll try a few more products first. It's just so strange to me that my reactions occurred AFTER I switched to healthier deodorants! I wanted Lavanila to work sooo bad for me. :smileysad:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • jennypenny1995
    • roxystar4
    • ragdoll4mom
    • newermexico
    • buzzbee3
    • LolaVal