sephorafan2014

How important is toner as part of skin care regimen?

Anyone have any strong feelings about the imortance of toner?  I just bought the Boscia Balancing toner.  It smells good, but I've only used it twice, so I have no comments on efficacy as of yet.  I just feel like I already have so many steps to my skin regimen, I've tended to just skip this step.  Opinions?

evno

Re: How important is toner as part of skin care regimen?

(0) Hearts

I've never used American/European style toners, which I've heard are covered by cleansing, but I know that in Asia, there is a specific step called refiner/softener/essence before moisturizing. I use multiple products for this step, and I find they make quite a difference. Some exfoliate, others brighten, tighten the pores, smooth the skin, etc. It's like a concentrated serum in a watery form. 

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i just like that it gives my skin a nice glow and makes my pores appear smaller, so for me it's an important step.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I'm not anti-toner, but I haven't used it in decades. My skin seems to be fine without it, so I've never really wanted to add the step in where it may not be necessary. In theory, though, I think it's great. 

MGJM

(0) Hearts

The majority of cleansers now already have toners in them, so they're not really necessary.  If you feel like you have enough steps of your skincare regimen, skipping the toner is fine. 

annec322

(0) Hearts

I agree with what others have said.  I think a toner that is a gentle, non/low alcohol formula is important in a beauty regimen.  I also use an aloe one.

DTalksAll

I make sure my toner is alcohol free. I prefer skin softeners and treatment pads more than toners. I don't use them every time I wash my face, but definitely after I work out, and after I use a mask to make sure all reside is off. 

joeanne

I'm in the "always used toner" camp. I realize that these days, I don't really need that last step to remove any traces of makeup or cleanser after my very thorough cleansing routine, but I have to admit that I like how my skin feels after toner.

As @wingatprsct put it, my skin just feels so refreshed and clean afterwards, and I just can't seem to give up this last step.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Toner wipes the last traces of residue/dead skin/oil etc. off after cleansing and closes the pores. There have been debate whether to use a toner or not. Some say it contains alcohol and will strip your skin of natural oils (there's different types of alcohol though), others say it's a cross-over step to moisturizer. I never really used a toner (long ago I used Clinque's 3-step and it irritated my face, so I stopped using it - contains bad alcohol), more recently my routine has changed and includes a more gentler toner - still has alcohol not like Clinque though. I don't fill the cotton round with toner just a light dab in center.

Toners are not an absolute must use product.

carrieloulou

(0) Hearts

I only use a toner before or after masking. 

ChicDabbler

Technically, toner is used to balance the pH of your skin (soap are alkaline, normal/healthy skin barrier is slightly acidic). If you don't have super oily or super dry skin, you probably don't need it.

ps. Last time I met a Philosophy SA, I asked her why Philosophy lines don't include toner and she said that their cleansers are formulated to tone as well so there's no need for toner. =)

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

I have oily skin and have always felt like I needed toner to remove excess cleanser, refresh my skin and balance moisture/pH levels from using acne treatment cleansers. I don't use the strong cleansers anymore and could probably skip this step, but love how refreshing and clean my skin feels afterwards.

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

I have switched from an oil-free toner to a sensitive skin toner in the past year. Both are aloe based toners.

srikandi

FancyPantzy is right. I have been using SK II clear lotion but ever since i discovered clarisonic & philosophy purity combo, i find that there's no need for me to use toner anymore. 

FancyPantzy

[ Edited ]

michmo

I agree with this! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • DTalksAll
    • ChicDabbler
    • joeanne
    • wingatprsct