princessad

How do I do the sunscreen AND makeup thing?!

I use Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, SPF 20. I live in SoCal and I do products with AHA/BHA acid in them (i think that means my skin will burn more easily??) Is the Urban Decay enough of a sun screen or do I need more? How do I add more over my makeup? Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Re: How do I do the sunscreen AND makeup thing?!

Prettyinpa is right, you can always layer a lotion or fluid like sunscreen under your make up.

The key with sunscreens is that the actually range of protection you get in a cosmetic grade product and skin care grade product are different because no one really ever applies the proper amount necessary to get the full SPF factor when using it in cosmetics.

For the face/neck, you need about 1/3-1/2 a teaspoon of sunscreen or lotion with SPF, it's not common to use that much of a tinted moisturizer, BB or CC cream, or foundation as it would feel too heavy. The brand La Roche Posay that Prettyinpa mentioned is amazing, super light weight and packed with skin loving ingredients in an oil free formula.

Try using at least an SPF 30 on your face, especially if you use AHA/BHA products. Let it absorb then apply your UD BB. SPFs don't add up and layer, so if you put a sunscreen/lotion of SPF 30 and the UD BB of SPF 20, you're not getting SPF 50.

The powders from PTR that Prettyinpa also brought up are great to touch up and reapply sunscreen without ruining your make up, you can also use sunscreen sprays like from Neutrogena.

princessad

Great info, thank you!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You're welcome! Hope you find a product that works!

prettyinpa

You need more. In the case of SPF, more is always better. You can layer a sunscreen under your BB cream, just use one that's really light weight, you don't need a thick sport formulation. My favorite is La-Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultralight Fluid for Face. Peter Thomas Roth makes a great powder sunscreen that you can use over makeup or for reapplication during the day, PTR Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45 and they make one for oily skin also.

princessad

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • lylysa
    • princessad