BeaPD

How do I deal with the skin and hair effects of hard water?

My husband and I recently moved into a house that has incredibly hard water. Our clothes come out of the washing machine looking dingy, and our dishes come out of the dishwasher looking dirtier than they went in, so I can only imagine what it's doing to my body! My eczema has gotten much worse since we moved here, and my hair always looks a bit dingy, oily and weighed down, even though nothing in my beauty routine has changed. I have considered getting a filter or softener for the shower but am not sure if that's worth the investment. (Since we rent, installing a water softener is not an option.) 

Does anyone have a similar problem? Any solutions you can recommend? I'd love suggestions for good shampoos to combat hard water too!

sulfate

Re: How do I deal with the skin and hair effects of hard water?

We have very hard water and I felt it as soon as we moved here.  We got a water softener, I switched to sulfate/paraben free shower products, and even got a Jonathan showerhead filter.  These things made a huge difference.  I have since switched to a T3 showerhead only because it looks nicer.  You may want to ask your landlord about a water softner (some are not very expensive) because the hard water will hurt their d/w and washing machine in addition to their plumbing.  

lylysa

Though my reply in the below link was to a user asking about ways to improve the condition of her curly hair, I did make mention of some shower head attachments that help in filtering the mineral deposits in water that should help!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/MIRACLE-SHAMPOO/m-p/438899#M876

Ursidae

I was born, raised, and live on a farm with hard water and I battle dry, frizzy hair while my sister battles eczema. My sister turns to olive oil (which works wonders) and as off-putting as this sounds, render out beef bone marrow and use it as a hair mask (you can rub it into your skin too).

A filter is definately a good investment... also, watch your teeth. My water turns anything white orange! For that issue I trust Arm & Hammer whitening toothpaste.

helpful

A filter for the shower would make a world of difference. We have hard water where I recently moved and I chose to get a filter. Totally worth it, plus you can take it with you when you go. :smileyhappy:

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • sulfate
    • helpful
    • BeaPD
    • Ursidae