cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Help! My facial skin is changing!

I turned 39 at the end of January. I've always had very large pores. I feel like they're even more noticeable these days. I've also feel like my facial skin is rough, on my cheeks, chin & nose. Not exactly dry, or flaky. More like sandpaper rough. It feels a little like my big pores are constantly pushing out blackheads. I want to just scrape my nail along the roughest spots. I know better than to do that. I use a Clarisonic Smart Profile, currently with the Deep Pore brush head, every day. I was using Arbonne's Re9 facial line, which worked great up until about 6 months ago. For Christmas, I got both Drunk Elephant value sets to try them out & see if that line would fix any problems. No change, at all. Except for a couple of spots being rougher, if I use the Night Serum every day. I use a few different masks. All of the GlamGlow ones, mostly. I try to do at least one a week, if not two. I need some advice on what else I could possibly try. I'm hoping to not have to spend a ton of money, but know good skin care costs a fair amount. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Help! My facial skin is changing!

Update: I just tried my sample of Maracuja Oil, tonight, after I took my makeup off & DANG, if it didn't hydrate the crap out of my facial skin! It was way less rough, almost immediately & now hours later, even more so. Who knew part of the answer, might've been in my Sephora Play goodies, all along?

I recommend exfoliation.   Mechanical exfoliation with a scrub - I like Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash but Neutrogena is also good.  And chemical exfoliation with BHA - I like Paula's Choice from 2% to start, or the 9% I use.  Tretinoin (Retin-A) would also be helpful.  Make sure you are using a liquid cleanser, too - I like Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser.

I recently switched to an all korean skincare routine and within a week I've seen a difference in my skin. I highly recommend the Son & Park Beauty Water that's sold on Sephora. 

Anonymous Insider

I'm curious what other Korean skincare products you use? I'm already sold on the Beauty Water. In, all honesty, I already had it in my online Sephora shopping cart, prior to seeking information on Beauty Talk. 

I love the Son & Park Beauty Water too. I'm not even sure what it does but it's so versatile and my skin just seems to love it. I've mostly been using it as a toner after cleanse and before essence, but if I'm feeling lazy, I'll use it as a light makeup remover or if I'm extra lazy...a light cleanser in the morning. 

Anonymous Insider

You ladies are amazing! Adding to the list of products to look into incorporating into my routine, that you have mentioned. I'm going to give my Clarisonic a break & see if anything changes, to start. Thank you so much for the advice & product suggestions!

I'm turning 39 this month and in my opinion you may be doing too much to your face. I noticed when I simplified my routine my skin improved immensely. I'm able to go without makeup. I have normal skin (not oily/not dry...had some rough texture in spots)

1. I remove eye makeup and go over my face with a micellar water

2. Wash my face without any tools...just my hands (currently using Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser)

3. Peel pad - PTR Max Complexion Correction Pad

4. Face oil - I'm loving Kopari Coconut Sheer oil

5. If I feel I need more moisture I may put on a moisturizer before bed. Honestly I have a lot to use up so I usually put one on. (currently IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream). I just look for one without actives in it

In the morning I use a Vit C serum (currently DERMADoctor Kakadu C), Coola Mineral Face SPF 30, and a glowy moisturizer or primer and nothing else 

Written out this seems like a lot but it's more pared down than what I used to do and my skin seems the best it has in a long time. 

I also very rarely do masks. I have them, but don't find I need them much doing this routine. 

@Anonymous I'll second that the clarisonic might be doing more harm than good! In general, it's a bit too rough to be using every day, it's probably irritating your skin more than cleaning!

I'd recommend incorporating a toner or essence for hydration (May Coop raw sauce comes in a small travel size if you just want to try it out) and seconding the Neogen Bio-Peel or Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peels. Sounds like you could use a little chemical exfoliation and acid to soften up your skin. And someone mentioned Ole, so of course I've got to recommend my HG, the invigorating night transformation 🙂

http://www.sephora.com/raw-sauce-P398843

http://www.sephora.com/invigorating-night-transformation-gel-P42330

If your large pores feel hard or like there is a bump underneath the skin it sounds like a sebaceous cyst.  Pores that do not close (even to regular 'large pore' status) need medical attention.  It needs removal with an incision not picking your face.

Pores should not just keep getting large.  There is treatment at the doctor's office because nothing OTC helps this unsightly chronic condition.

Rough skin can be many things.  Moisture level, vitamin deficiency, dehydration, aging, etc.

I am gonna guess it is the Clarisonic.  Most of us were lured to buy this expensive gadget with promises of 'deep clean' skin.

Well, it is too harsh for daily use!  I suggest using 1-2 times a week or when your skin needs a good scrubbing (like wearing a face full of make-up).

This happened to my skin when I first got Clarisonic.  (rough skin)

If you need a 'gadget' try the Foreo Luna.  When I used this it was gentle and helped spread my cleanser.  Not sure what else it was doing to be honest! lol

When my skin got rough to the touch from Clarisonic I switched to creamy oily skin cleanser that I use in the shower. I still use it because I just love the way my skin feels!  Algenist Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Melting Cleanser.  Josie Maran also has a face cleansing oil that I like. Or, after washing face just spread a little face oil mixed with water and lightly pat dry.  Leaving a little behind like you would use in-shower body oil. 

Go to Sephora and sample a few of these creamy oils and see if they help to at least get your skin feeling baby smooth again! 

http://www.sephora.com/genius-ultimate-anti-aging-melting-cleanser-P388200?skuId=1649771&icid2=produ...

Anonymous Insider

My pores aren't hard, just big. There's a couple that, to me, look gigantic. Nothing that I think requires a visit to a doctor, just yet. I drink a ton of water & take vitamins. I mostly think it's aging & needing to try some new products. 

I appreciate your insights & product suggestions!

That is good!  One less thing to worry about.  

Glad to see the face oil worked! Makes it baby smooth. @Anonymous

That is what worked for me after the Clarisonic made my skin feel rough.  

Anonymous Insider

I'm going to look into all of your suggestions. Thank you for your responses 

Hi GlitzyJen!

Happy belated birthday Smiley Happy

Are you looking to find a completely new skincare routine? Or just something to add into your current skincare lineup?

If you just want to try adding in a quick product, I would recommend the Neogen Dermalogy Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling - Lemon. I love being able to add these into my routine once or twice a week to help get rid of dead skin and clean out my pores. 

If you're looking to completely change your skincare routine, I would recommend trying out the Ole Henriksen line. A great starter kit is his 3 Little Wonders kit Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Bisous, 

Sian

Anonymous Insider

Thank you! I'm sure what I want in terms of adding or completely replacing. I'll be looking into the products you've suggested. 

Anonymous Insider

Girl! You need Visha Skin Care! It may initially cause you to break out but that is because it's detoxing your skin. This is a cosmeceutical line of skin care developed by a dermatologist. It will shrink your pores and leave your skin glowing!! It's perfect for aging skin too. It's meant to help reduce the signs of aging. My personal favorite is the serum or the combination of the scrub and the body balm! 

Maybe you could benefit from seeing a dermatologist, or aesthetician?

Also, as for spending money on good skin care products, have you heard of The Ordinary (can be found on Beautylish)? They have several products, mostly serums, but they're inexpensive (no frills packaging, for one) and come highly recommended by Wayne Goss. I wonder, have you tried using a retinol? Sometimes that's prescribed for those with a great deal of sebum. Just some thoughts. I hope I was able to help a little.

Anonymous Insider

Visha Skin Care was developed by a dermatologist originally for her patients and is now available to the public. It's fantastic!

@Anonymous

Skin changes with age, especially in the late 30s and early 40s.  It is not unusual at all.  

Deep pore brush, Glam Glow, Drunk Elephant - all products I don't care for (my personal review of such products).  I would recommend stopping both the brush and Glam Glow at the least.  Deep pore brushes are too harsh, and Glam Glow to me is just not good.

1.  Get a facial with someone that does extractions.  It will clean out all the blackheads and stuff stuck underneath the skin.

2.  Use an acid exfoliator daily to resurface skin (make it smooth).  It will also keep the pores clean of build up.  STart off with FAB Radiance pads or Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peel pads (gentle or regular strength).

3.  Do not use hasrh product on your face.  Stay away from scrubby particles cleansers, foaming cleansers etc.

4.  HYDRATE.  Dehydrated skin is sensitive skin.  Use something that hydrates adequately, even if you have oily skin.  

5.  You can slowly start incorporating retinol after a few weeks of a regular regimen.  DDG makes a good night serum to start.

6.  Skincare is only the top of the iceberg.  Diet and lifetsyle are more important, especially at this age.  Eat healthier, avoid sugar, and de-stress.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous Insider

All very helpful suggestions & information. Much appreciated! Thank you!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing