bowlofmushypeas

Has anyone with sensitive skin had good luck with a moisturizer with spf?

I'd really like to start incorporating spf into my routine, but it seems like everything ends up making me break out or worsens the oiliness of my skin. Recently, I tried Shiseido's spf 40 and Ole Henriksen as samples but no luck with either.

I've been thinking about PTR, Murad's oil-control mattifier, or Philosopy's Take a Breath which just came out with an spf version (no reviews yet though)! I love the feeling of the regular Take a Breath moisturizer so am excited about the new version.

Anyways, I hate having to try out and return used products so wanted to get feedback before I commit!

Manda

Re: Has anyone with sensitive skin had good luck with a moisturizer with spf?

(0) Hearts

I have extremely sensitive skin (gets very itchy/breaks out easily, especially with sunscreen products) and I use Murad.  I personally love it!  Murad is one of the few moisturizer brands that I can wear that doesn't irritate my skin.

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think this has helped with oil control for you also? 

Manda

(0) Hearts

I found it worked out well.  My nose oil shown through first, but that is because my nose is the oiliest part.  However, I do believe it is one of the better products out there without the irritation (I'm allergic to a lot of mineral makeups as well).  Also, if you needed help with a primer, I could give you what I use.  You cannot order online at Sephora (which saddens me) but, you should be able to get it in store.   

Gamergirl24

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have sensitive skin that tends to break out with certain products (a long list of foundations come to mind). I recently found First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 with SPF 30, and have been having really good luck with it. Knock on wood. 

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

A few of you have recommended physical sunscreens over chemical--any recommendations for good physical sunscreens, ideally combined with an oil-free moisturizer? It seems like everything has avobenzene or something chemical.

marionberry

(0) Hearts

Believe it or not, oil-of olay's face moisturizer for sensitive skin (spf 15) works great on me!

I have super sensitive skin, that normally causes problems with almost anything SPF but not this!

sephoramusthave

I have sensitive skin, and chemical SPF breaks me out. Once I've switched to natural sunblock or physical sunscreen, I haven't had any issues.

prosopon

(0) Hearts

I have been using, for over a year now, a moisturizer my dermatologist recommeded.  It is called DML Daily Facial Moisturizer.  It is spf 25 and also contains hyaluronic acid.  It is labeled as non-comedogenic, hyperallergenic, moisturizing, water resistant, PABA free, and unscented.  My face tends to get real red and breaks out, but this moisturizer has helped alot.  I get it at the pharmecy at the dermatologist but I have also found it online (amazon).

melde

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thank you for making this topic! I have the same problem. I can't wait to see what people suggest.

Currently, what works for me is putting on moisturizer first, then putting on some sort of sun protectant. Currently I use Clinique CityBlock. I'm sure that order lessens the effectiveness of the sun protectant, but what can I do? Also it is a pain to use two products where one would work, but again, I'm just trying to keep my face from hating me.

I'm currently using CeraVae (sp??) moistruizer, but I've used tons of sensitive skin moisturizers that are all fine: Clinique, Cetaphil, Argan Oil, etc. It's always the sunscreen that messes everything up. :smileysad:

Gamergirl24

(0) Hearts

CereVe made my skin feel like it was on fire a look like a stop sign :smileysad:

drrragon

@melde-- when you say that your skin is sensitive, do you mean it gets irritated and allergic easily?  or that you break out frequently?  For me, it was actually Clinique City Block SPF 25 that clued me into the problem with titanium dioxide.  When I used city block I got mega huge cysts that lasted for weeks.  The problem was, I was only using it in the first place because I was worried that chemical sunscreens would cause an allergic reaction since at the time my skin got red, itchy, and irritated very easily.  In general physical blockers (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) are much less likely to cause irritation than chemical sunscreen.

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

I mean that my skin tends to break out more. I wouldn't say my skin gets red and it definitely doesn't get swollen so I don't think it's an allergy. Gosh, thanks everyone for your quick responses! I'm glad this thread's going to help others! 

melde

I have broken out from putting City Block directly on my face, so maybe that is the problem??!!! Good to know!

My skin gets irritated and allergic easily. I used to break out frequently (cystic acne) until I got that under control with medication. I will break out if I put moisturizer with sunscreen or sunscreen directly on my face. Or a non gentle/sensitive moisturizer.

To be honest, I thought it was "sunscreen ingredients in general." I had no idea there were different kinds (or different enough that some cause breakouts and some don't, anyway).

How can you tell if a product will work for you? 

drrragon

hi melde,  it's pretty tricky to know ahead of time whether a product will work for you or not.  reading up on the ingredients in your skincare products helps a lot though.  check out my thread here for more details about trial and error: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Acne/Acne-Investigation-Diary/td-p/438131

there are two types of sunscreens, physical (containing titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide) or chemical (ingredients like avobenzene, octinoxate, homosalate, octocrylene, etc).  Physical blockers also happen to be mineral.  From what I've seen physical sunscreens tend to be goopier and thicker than chemical sunscreens.  Maybe that's why they were clogging my pores so much.

check out the active sunscreen ingredients for all the SPF products you've been using and see if you can find any patterns related to breakouts or irritation.

melde

Thanks so much! I've had issues with mineral makeup irritating my skin, so it could be a similar problem! I appreciate all of your help! I will try some new products based on what you've mentioned. Hopefully it will help! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I discovered that my mineral sunscreens were causing cystic acne on me, so I switched to a chemical sunscreen a few months ago and the cycstic acne stopped.  I'm pretty sure the main culprit was titanium dioxide (possibly zinc oxide too).  The one I'm using now is Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Tone Correcting Moisture SPF 30.  I like that it's not goopy or thick and absorbs quickly.  I'm sort of afraid to switch off it now, but the next one I want to try is La Roche Posay Redermic + UV SPF 25.

melde

(0) Hearts

I've heard great things about La Roche Posay, but I feel like it is always from people who don't have insanely sensitive skin. So I want to try it too, but I'm also pretty skeptical at this point. :smileysad:

jennypenny1995

Renee Rouleau's Daily Protection SPF is my Go To when I need SPF coverage.  I love that it isn't heavy and wears beautifully under foundation.

luckyladyk

I have super combination skin - super dry or oily breakout.  I swear by Fresh Soy Moisturizer SPF 20.  Its a bit pricey, but works!

connieconcon

Did you get prepackaged samples or samples made in store?  I often find that the samples made in store will make my skin worse.  :smileysad:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • Manda
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995