evno

Fall/winter dry skin thread

[ Edited ]

Hi, everyone! With the colder weather setting in, I've noticed that my skin's getting drier/flakier. I thought it'd be nice to start a thread on tips to pamper dry skin!

Here's some to start off:

- Body butter: AKA The Only Thing That Works Right Now. 'Nuff said.

- Keeping a hand lotion next to the hand soap: Seriously, every time I wash my hands, the lotion disappears. Reapply, baby, reapply.

Milk rinse: I don't know why, but washing my hands/face with milk seems to make my skin more soft and moisturized.

- TV spa: While watching TV or a video on the computer, I use that time to put on lotion all over. This way, moisturizing isn't such a chore/time-waste because I'm anxious about Olivia Pope. :smileyhappy:

electrajayde

Re: Fall/winter dry skin thread

(0) Hearts

I second anything FAB (it's my savior!)

I normally have dry skin but it gets worse during the winter months. I usually add in a oil along with my lotions and bump up my exfoliation to 2-3 times a week. I religiously use TokyoMilk Dark lip elixirs every chance I can get and Burt's Bee's hand salve.

The one place where I'm fumbling are my feet. I can't seem to find foot cream that'll work. Any suggestions I'm all ears.

theramenlover

(0) Hearts

My skin has been going HAYWIRE lately. I've usually got skin that's on the oily side of combination and even last Fall/Winter, I didn't have such issues with dryness. Now though, my moisturizer from last Winter isn't cutting it in terms of hydration. 

I'm currently going through this routine. In the morning, I'll use an Aesop Parsely Seed Anti-oxidant Serum with my Lotus Youth Face Cream on top. At night, I use the Dr Jart Ceramidin Liquid with my Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream on top. Once a week, usually on the weekends, I'll substitue the Kate Somerville with the Dr Jart Ceramidin Cream. I find the combination of the two Dr Jart products to be super effective for my dehydrated and dry skin! Also, the Kate Somerville is intensely moisturizing and soooo amazing. 

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

Lucky (so far, November normally starts it) for me, the weather has been in the high 60s/70s/ and some times the 80s here for this month.. I have my cart waiting to order (just making sure I really want/need everything) with a body butter! it is the best thing for my skin! Thinking of getting the Soap and Glory one, unless any of you have a better idea!

Urbie

(0) Hearts

For those of you in cold-weather climates- between the dry air and the heat, one of the best things you can do for your skin is run a humidifier!  I suffer from really itchy, dry skin that quickly turns into patches of eczema, and I run a warm air humidifier all day in my apartment.  Plus, adding some humidity to a room can make it feel several degrees warmer without having to crank up the heat!  Vicks makes a decent single room humidifier for about $40- just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions on maintaining it.

Other than that, the thing that helps me the most is to put on a lotion that contains ceramides.  I find it actually sinks in and helps repair the skin rather than sitting on top of it.  

carolang

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Face

Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight mask (green tube, not sold here) - I think it's default I have to mention this, right Arielaaaaa? :smileywink:

Clinique All About Eyes Rich eye cream
Origins checks & balances cleanser

EOS regular and medicated (really nice!) lip balm

Hands

100% pure hand cream or Laura Mercier hand cream (pistache!)

Burts bees lemon butter cuticle cream (I keep it on my nightstand for overnight)

Im going to include a little blurb on hair because sometimes that can be an even bigger problem for me!

Hair 

Salon Grafix dry conditioner - yes dry conditioner. At BB&B. Gets rid of static like a champ. No more stinky dryer sheet hair (I do not need to be smelling like the snuggle bear or whatever it is!)

Agave oil

LP nourishing styling cream

Currently testing (thanks blitz & perks!):

PTR oiless oils/squalene (nothing noticeable yet)

Korres Wild Rose (love)

Korres Greek yogurt (not as much)

Kendi Dry oil mist (enjoying)

mimibel

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I second the humidifier, makes a lot of difference for me. 

I use my Tokyo Milk lip balm on chapped areas, elbows, sometimes knuckles...at night.

http://www.sephora.com/femme-fatale-collection-lip-elixirs-P311139?skuId=1430776

Drink more water, this is harder for me in winter, I'm not as thirsty.

Powdered milk in the bath, rinse, use body oil, pat dry

Micellar water only in the morning, sometimes at night too-less drying for me than cleansers.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SEPHORA%20COLLECTION%20Triple%20Action%20Cl...

Heavier overnight cream, currently Korres Greek Yogurt Sleeping Facial

http://www.sephora.com/greek-yoghurt-advanced-nourishing-sleeping-facial-P379063

evno

(0) Hearts

I also only rinse my face with water in the morning. I usually cleanse my face twice a day, morning and evening, but that's too drying right now.

carolang

(0) Hearts

This makes such a big difference for me. I follow the water rinse with a toner personally since I have oily-combo skin, but I think everyone should try this!

lylysa

Safflower oil, keep some in the bathroom and after you shower, while skin is still a bit wet/damp (where some water droplets may still be left on skin), apply it to your body. Safflower oil is high and rich in fatty acids, plus it's an oil that comes the closest to mimicking the natural oils your skin produces and needs to keep conditioned.

makeupmaven

Dry brushing the body daily, coconut oil after. For the face, Kate Somerville's Dilo Oil has made where I haven't been dry/ flaky yet this season, and I usually am.

I should get a humidifier, but I brew tea a lot at my desk (this Thai matuum tea takes 30 min to brew each time) so that keeps things humid.

ChicDabbler

I just switch up a couple items:

Exfoliating toner (Clinique toner 2) --> hydrating toner (Origins Perfect World)

gel cream (Clinique moisture surge) --> actual cream (random samples right now)

Body/hand lotion (BBW) --> body/hand cream (BBW, Bliss or L'occitane)

Whatever lip balm --> Fresh sugar or Jack Black

Sometimes I do hot foot soak, sometimes when I cook/boil stuff I take it off the stove into my bedroom for more humidity in the air. And that's it.

veronika23

Thanks!  I pretty much do all except the milk :smileywink:  Oil is your best friend right now!  On your body and on your face. lol

This is a great product for winter months:

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407?skuId=1217744

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • theramenlover
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler