ChicDabbler

Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

[ Edited ]

Everybody seems to be interested or using some facial oils. Here's a comparison of 6 non-cleansing ones that are <$70.Tada!

2013-01-27 20.13.47.jpg

For reference I have dry combination skin in the winter and used ~3-4 drops for my face. I have oily combination skin in the summer and this is a tad too heavy/moisturizing for me so I use gel cream. The smell for all of them kind of disappears after they absorb. From least to most hydrating/heavy:

Fresh Seaberry Oil: very thin, liquidy and lightweight. Have a slightly herbal scent. Sinks in fast but leaves almost nothing on the top layer, so it's not very protective but it doesn't interfere with anything else you plan to put on. Great for dehydrated oily/combo skin or as a serum for dry skin. It is an oil blend and contains fragrance. =/

Dr. Dennis Gross Active Vitamin D Serum-oil: it has a thin gooey oil texture and takes a bit longer than Seaberry to sink in. It is great for hydration but not really for anti-aging (my tiny under eye wrinkle that appears every night did not disappear the next morning. It usually does if I use an anti-aging serum like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Dior One Essential or Lancome). It has a slight citrus-lemon scent. It's not really an oil since the first ingredient is Squalane (a moisturizer) then soybean seed extract. It does have retinol and glycolic acid, so if you have an issue with either of those active ingredients, I suggest you google around a bit or get a sample before buying.

(New comer!) Boscia Tsubaki oil: ohhh, very light floral scent. It's thin and spreads easily, so you can apply sparingly if you don't need much. But it doesn't sink in and disappear completely like Seaberry, so it's a bit protective, too. However, it is not as thick or make the skin feel as plump/sturdy as Maracuja. Buuut, the light floral scent won over the potato chip scent of Tarte Maracuja. True to advertisement, the 1st ingredient is camelia/tsubaki oil, followed by other oils and extracts (no chemical/fragrance/problems from a quick skim of ingredients, all seems to be good stuff).

(New addition!) Marula oil: very mild herbal scent. The thickness is between Boscia Tsubaki and Tarte Maracuja, but honestly the difference is so subtle that it doesn't really matter between these 3 oil (unlike if you were to compare Fresh Seaberry and Argan oil). It's a bit thicker than Tsubaki but spreads/sinks in just as easily. It claims to be 99% marula with 1% essential oil blend, no fragrance or active ingredients there. The only possible problem is if you are severely allergic to lavender, which is the very last ingredient for Marula and Tsubaki oil, otherwise it's all good stuff.

Tarte Maracuja Oil: slightly thicker than Seaberry like Vit D serum-oil. It feels smooth going on rather than that thin greasy oily feel. Takes a bit longer to sink in and smells like potato chips oil (cooking oil). Unlike Seaberry that disappears, this makes the skin feel a tad more plump/sturdy/moisturized after it sinks in. It is advertised as 100% organic maracuja oil, so that's that.

Argan Oil: a tad thicker than Maracuja with a more gooey consistency, feels velvety on the face and takes the longest to sink in (but less than 1-2min). Great for dry skin or even combo skin in the winter. It doesn’t have much of a scent. If this feels too thick to rub onto face and tugs, try putting a couple drops into the palm, rub them together to warm it up and press onto face. 100% organic argan oil.

Nude ProGenius: The consistency is as thick as Argan oil, but once you rub it in the skin, it feels thicker like cream where it feels like it left a velvety protective layer on the skin. It doesn't feel as hydrating/penetrating as other oils, but if you have problem with oils disappearing after a couple hours, this will stay and work well as a top/final layer to seal the serum/hydration stuff underneath. While this feel quite luxe, it does have that no.2 pencil (lead) smell. It's quite a blend with some common cheap oils (corn oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil) but mostly a lot of exotic(ish) oils and trace amount of alcohol (since it's one of the last ingredients).

You can definitely use oil regardless of if you have oily/normal dehydrated skin or dry skin, and they do not cause/worsen/irritate my acne. They hydrate well and sink in well as long as you apply sparingly. They are good for preventive/first sign anti-aging or de-hydration wrinkles. For anything more, an actual anti-aging serum will provide more benefit (Murad, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Dior One Essential).

If you have any question about oils listed above, let me know (through PM) and I will check. 

sugarluvv

Re: Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

im using the trate, JM, and Nude progenius oil.   My fav has to be the nude bc it healed my dry skin.   I recently have large patches of dry skin (flaky, so it was hard to apply foundation) below my chin and it was so painful to smile.   After using my clarisonic i massaged the oil into my dry skin and it became instantly smooth. The next morning my dry patches was gone!

linda711

Thanks for posting this beautytester!  Even though it's a year old, it's all new to me.:smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

You are welcome. Even though it's a year old, I haven't touched my Tarte maracuja or Nude oil yet since I was busy trying to use up the other ones. Glad you like it. =)

latinadiva

On the topic of oils, although not the moisturizer kind, I've been using a cleansing oil recently (drugstore) as a makeup remover. Probably a dumb question, but it does a great job at removing everrrrything, do I have to follow up with a face wash? Or since my skin is on the more dry side, I can just do the oil and get the added benefits of my skin feeling super moisturized? As a note, when I use the cleansing oil, I don't tend to use a facial oil as well. I feel like it would be too much. But if I use a normal face wash, I then use a facial oil.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Well, you kind of want to make sure you rinsed off everything since your cleanser mixes with the makeup. And if you do that, then you probably need a moisturizer afterward, especially if your skin is on the more dry side.

I use cleansing oil as makeup remover before cleansing, or as a cleanser before a harsh treatment like ExfoliKate intensive. Personally I prefer the feel of moisturizer more than oil, so I only use facial oil if I want to do a bit of facial massage or am especially dry.

deannarp

I use Josie Maran ckeansing oil as a preckeanselenanse to remove my makeup and then a face wash because the oil doesn't do it all. A toner pad used after my oil showed quite a bit of leftover gunk. In the morning I can use my cleansing oil and I don't follow up with a face wash.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

And in the morning, do you add a moisturizer or do you just stick with the moisturizing that the oil has done already just by washing with it?

deannarp

(0) Hearts

I still use a moisturizer in the morning but my skin is dry this winter.

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I add a few drops of oil to my moisturizer. 

Heatoyos1

At night, instead of a moisturizer, I apply Ole Henriksen Truth Serum and then follow it with either Boscia Tsubaki oil (really enjoy the scent), or Tarte Maracuja oil. (I'm leaning slightly toward the Tsubaki oil right now because of the scent.)

Josie Maran argan oil was too heavy for my skin. Tsubaki oil and Maracuja oil seem much lighter. 

If you are interested in trying either the Boscia Tsubaki oil or Josie Maran argan oil, and live near a Sephora inside JC Penney, they have a custom skincare set right now where you can pick five products and a makeup bag. Those two products, including the OH Truth Serum, are among the items you can choose from. 

ShinyMagpie

One thing I started wondering about with all the face oils is when we'll start seeing organic and non-GMO from some of them? I mean we expect it from our food and our skin is our largest organ. Fair trade? 

We need to start demanding these things from our cosmetics. 

chupi

The Josie Maran and Tarte ones are organic.

Maybe as they become more popular we'll see more? 

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

I hope so. :smileyhappy:

chupi

Boscia oil ingredients:

Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Undaria Pinnatifida Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Tocopherol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil.

The main ingredient seems to be a variation on rose hip seed oil. Followed by olive oil and sunflower seed oil. I don't know what effects sunflower seed oil has on the skin, but it's great for cooking!

ShinyMagpie

Camellia japonica and Rose Hip oil are from two completely different genus and families of plants.

Camellia is its own genus and belongs to the family Theaceae. This is the same family that Camellia sinensis comes from which is where we get tea from the leaves -- both green and black tea. 

Camellia oil is commonly used as a cooking oil in Japan and China. I also use Camellia oil to clean my pruning tools. It is also very commonly used there for hair care. 

Japanese Camellia oil is an effective emollient (things which soften skin and hair.) Approximately 82% of the fatty acids in Japanese Camellia oil are composed of Oleic fatty acid (Omega-9).

Oleic acid has an extremely stable molecular structure. For this reason, Japanese Camellia oil does not readily oxidize and deteriorate, and has a longer shelf life than most other oils.

Japanese Camellia oil is also a rich source of Palmistic (8%) and Omega-6 Linoleic fatty acids (3%), as well as numerous anti-aging polyphenol antioxidants.

Roses are in the Rosaceae family and the Rosa genus. The oil is derived from the hips that are formed after flowering. Rosehip oil contain provitamin A (mostly beta-carotene) and is high in the essential fatty acids: linoleic acid or omega-6, and linolenic acid or omega-3.

Sorry to go all plant nerd on you but they are completely different plants used for similar things. Not all plant oils are created equal -- just look at canola oil. :smileyhappy:

chupi

Don't apologize! Thank you!

Do you know how camellia oil tastes when used for cooking?

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

No I've never used it for cooking. The stuff I use for my tools is not food grade. I am interested to find some and try it now though. 

ChicDabbler

^ this is why I like posting things on BT. Always a chance to learn something new. Chemistry/biology is more fun when we are talking about beauty stuff, no? and girls would totally be way better than boys at math if all math problems were shopping related, as seen many times on BT whenever a product weight/size/value comes into question. =P

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

Absolutely! And thank you for your thorough review. I've used a couple of them but not the others and it was very educational to hear the differences and then go look at ingredients. :smileyhappy:

chupi

I can't believe that Seaberry oil is $50! The first ingredient is grape seed oil. I use that for cooking and it's very inexpensive. Fresh is really making me angry with it's price gouging.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 84 replies
  • 127 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • mberteig
    • chupi
    • shaniceee
    • twinmommie2
    • tinyjenny