ChicDabbler

Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

[ Edited ]

Everybody seems to be interested or using some facial oils. Here's a comparison of 6 non-cleansing ones that are <$70.Tada!

2013-01-27 20.13.47.jpg

For reference I have dry combination skin in the winter and used ~3-4 drops for my face. I have oily combination skin in the summer and this is a tad too heavy/moisturizing for me so I use gel cream. The smell for all of them kind of disappears after they absorb. From least to most hydrating/heavy:

Fresh Seaberry Oil: very thin, liquidy and lightweight. Have a slightly herbal scent. Sinks in fast but leaves almost nothing on the top layer, so it's not very protective but it doesn't interfere with anything else you plan to put on. Great for dehydrated oily/combo skin or as a serum for dry skin. It is an oil blend and contains fragrance. =/

Dr. Dennis Gross Active Vitamin D Serum-oil: it has a thin gooey oil texture and takes a bit longer than Seaberry to sink in. It is great for hydration but not really for anti-aging (my tiny under eye wrinkle that appears every night did not disappear the next morning. It usually does if I use an anti-aging serum like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Dior One Essential or Lancome). It has a slight citrus-lemon scent. It's not really an oil since the first ingredient is Squalane (a moisturizer) then soybean seed extract. It does have retinol and glycolic acid, so if you have an issue with either of those active ingredients, I suggest you google around a bit or get a sample before buying.

(New comer!) Boscia Tsubaki oil: ohhh, very light floral scent. It's thin and spreads easily, so you can apply sparingly if you don't need much. But it doesn't sink in and disappear completely like Seaberry, so it's a bit protective, too. However, it is not as thick or make the skin feel as plump/sturdy as Maracuja. Buuut, the light floral scent won over the potato chip scent of Tarte Maracuja. True to advertisement, the 1st ingredient is camelia/tsubaki oil, followed by other oils and extracts (no chemical/fragrance/problems from a quick skim of ingredients, all seems to be good stuff).

(New addition!) Marula oil: very mild herbal scent. The thickness is between Boscia Tsubaki and Tarte Maracuja, but honestly the difference is so subtle that it doesn't really matter between these 3 oil (unlike if you were to compare Fresh Seaberry and Argan oil). It's a bit thicker than Tsubaki but spreads/sinks in just as easily. It claims to be 99% marula with 1% essential oil blend, no fragrance or active ingredients there. The only possible problem is if you are severely allergic to lavender, which is the very last ingredient for Marula and Tsubaki oil, otherwise it's all good stuff.

Tarte Maracuja Oil: slightly thicker than Seaberry like Vit D serum-oil. It feels smooth going on rather than that thin greasy oily feel. Takes a bit longer to sink in and smells like potato chips oil (cooking oil). Unlike Seaberry that disappears, this makes the skin feel a tad more plump/sturdy/moisturized after it sinks in. It is advertised as 100% organic maracuja oil, so that's that.

Argan Oil: a tad thicker than Maracuja with a more gooey consistency, feels velvety on the face and takes the longest to sink in (but less than 1-2min). Great for dry skin or even combo skin in the winter. It doesn’t have much of a scent. If this feels too thick to rub onto face and tugs, try putting a couple drops into the palm, rub them together to warm it up and press onto face. 100% organic argan oil.

Nude ProGenius: The consistency is as thick as Argan oil, but once you rub it in the skin, it feels thicker like cream where it feels like it left a velvety protective layer on the skin. It doesn't feel as hydrating/penetrating as other oils, but if you have problem with oils disappearing after a couple hours, this will stay and work well as a top/final layer to seal the serum/hydration stuff underneath. While this feel quite luxe, it does have that no.2 pencil (lead) smell. It's quite a blend with some common cheap oils (corn oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil) but mostly a lot of exotic(ish) oils and trace amount of alcohol (since it's one of the last ingredients).

You can definitely use oil regardless of if you have oily/normal dehydrated skin or dry skin, and they do not cause/worsen/irritate my acne. They hydrate well and sink in well as long as you apply sparingly. They are good for preventive/first sign anti-aging or de-hydration wrinkles. For anything more, an actual anti-aging serum will provide more benefit (Murad, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Dior One Essential).

If you have any question about oils listed above, let me know (through PM) and I will check. 

ChicDabbler

Re: Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

Fresh is not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Some ingredients are so potent they can cause irritation in larger quantities so they may need to be diluted by other things and should not be within the top 3-5 ingredients. With that said, they don't release the concentrations so we'll never know if it's 1% vs. .00000000001%

Dior skincare is generally pretty good, but their pore refining moisturizer is worse than fresh. For $67, out of the top five ingredients, 3 are silicone, 1 is alcohol and 1 is water. Yaaaay....

chupi

(0) Hearts

Fresh's lip balms are way over priced. I enjoy them, but refuse to pay full price for them. Really, I'm just jealous that they are so smart and good at marketing to sell okay products at a high end price point.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I would have agreed with you 2 yrs ago, but unfortunately nowadays Fresh lip balm is the only stick lip balm my lips can wear in the winter, otherwise they get dry/flaky/cracked. Yes I have tried Burt's Bee, EOS, Nivea, Yes to, Caudalie and over a dozen other ones I don't remember.

chupi

(0) Hearts

Well, I'm glad you found a solution! Fresh just sits on top my lips. I'm still searching for one that works for me.

CatherineAlice

I think I'm definately buying the Boscia Tusbuki oil now. I think it is perfect for my acne prone skin…slightly oily skin but dry where i do acne treatments. 

AKRinNY

(0) Hearts

If you have a SiJCP nearby it's part of their make your own skincare sampler. A MUCH better deal that way. I bought some That way but haven't tried it yet.

mberteig

I've been using the Ole Henriksen Pure Truth Vitamin C Youth Activating Oil, which isn't in your list, and I really like it.  I mix a few drops with the face cream I use at night.  Some folks don't like the smell, but to me it smells like iced tea with lemon, and I actually like it!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Thanks for weighing in about the OH oil. =)

This is just from my oil stash at the time, there are definitely more good ones out there and any reviews will be appreciated I'm sure. I've got way too many Argan and Maracuja oils from all the kits and stuff to try/get new ones, lol.

Cyll

[ Edited ]

Nude ProGenius - smells like crisco vegetable oil. It's brutal!

Loving JMs argan oil

chupi

(0) Hearts

I love Crisco...

kelsey808

Has anyone tried Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil? I just ordered it yesterday after reading how it's helped a ton of people combination oily skin like mine, can't wait to try it out!!

sunflower837

I use it and it is fantastic!

I use it at night after washing and before moisturizing (my skin is the definition of combination!).  My skin is glowing, smoother, and much more even.  It has helped control the oil in my t-zone throughout the day.  ...not to mention the smell is heavenly!  

I hope you like it!!

chitwngrl

I read about Fresh's Seaberry Oil on Allure's website a few months ago. I've been battling adult acne for the past 4.5 years after I had more kids. And I was using so many anti acne products, but my acne wasn't under control. 

I was watching Youtube's Lisa Eldridge on night and she was talking about her beauty routine. I re-vamped my products and purchased Seaberry oil to add to my routine. Let me tell you, my acne is sooooo much better!!! I don't get the cystic ones anymore and I loooove the way my skin feels with this oil! I also use it in the morning if I feel my skin is a bit dehydrated. It's pricey, but it'll last you  a long time!

tinyjenny

Thank You SO much !!!  You really helped me considerably, I've got a better feel for what I may be looking for :smileyhappy:  Hugs!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

You are welcome! I hoard minis/samples from Sephora, so might as well put them to good use. =)

Emeraldlight

Excellent post! My face is telling me that it's ceiling out in using Fresh's seaberry. You've done my face oil searching homework for me. Smiles!

SeraK

Thanks for posting this! I know absolutely nothing about oils and this was a great primer to see if I should start poking around more about them!

mkupgk

I have to say the argan oil works the best b/c it's not too oily

LolaVal

Dear Beautytester,

Thank you for this wonderful post, it has really educated me about these oils.  I just bought the fresh seaberry oil and the smell is so strong.  I really can't handle putting it on my face.  I'm thinking of returning it.   

I have combination/acne prone skin and I really want to try an oil to moisturize my skin, but I'm looking for something that has a decent smell.  Which oil has the least offending smell?

MoreGun89

In my opinion argan, maracuja, and nude are the least smelly, my personal preference is the maracuja though, it has a very faint nutty smell that disappears, is used as a moisturizer/anti-inflammatory/brightener/anti aging. In other words, it covers a lot of ground in only 3 drops!   I have oily skIn everywhere but my cheeks which are normal, and it goes on evenly, and absorbs within minutes!

the reason I don't recommend the Nude oil is I haven't seen much change using it, and argan is a little heavy for the more oily parts of the face.

hope this helps!

mmayloca

Has anyone used an oil during the summer months? I use Josie cleansing oil and am about to purchase the treatment oil but heading into spring/summer i'm reluctant. Has anyone used this year round?  Am I going to want to use it in the summer or will it make me too oily?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 84 replies
  • 127 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • mberteig
    • chupi
    • shaniceee
    • twinmommie2
    • tinyjenny