ChicDabbler

Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

[ Edited ]

Everybody seems to be interested or using some facial oils. Here's a comparison of 6 non-cleansing ones that are <$70.Tada!

2013-01-27 20.13.47.jpg

For reference I have dry combination skin in the winter and used ~3-4 drops for my face. I have oily combination skin in the summer and this is a tad too heavy/moisturizing for me so I use gel cream. The smell for all of them kind of disappears after they absorb. From least to most hydrating/heavy:

Fresh Seaberry Oil: very thin, liquidy and lightweight. Have a slightly herbal scent. Sinks in fast but leaves almost nothing on the top layer, so it's not very protective but it doesn't interfere with anything else you plan to put on. Great for dehydrated oily/combo skin or as a serum for dry skin. It is an oil blend and contains fragrance. =/

Dr. Dennis Gross Active Vitamin D Serum-oil: it has a thin gooey oil texture and takes a bit longer than Seaberry to sink in. It is great for hydration but not really for anti-aging (my tiny under eye wrinkle that appears every night did not disappear the next morning. It usually does if I use an anti-aging serum like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Dior One Essential or Lancome). It has a slight citrus-lemon scent. It's not really an oil since the first ingredient is Squalane (a moisturizer) then soybean seed extract. It does have retinol and glycolic acid, so if you have an issue with either of those active ingredients, I suggest you google around a bit or get a sample before buying.

(New comer!) Boscia Tsubaki oil: ohhh, very light floral scent. It's thin and spreads easily, so you can apply sparingly if you don't need much. But it doesn't sink in and disappear completely like Seaberry, so it's a bit protective, too. However, it is not as thick or make the skin feel as plump/sturdy as Maracuja. Buuut, the light floral scent won over the potato chip scent of Tarte Maracuja. True to advertisement, the 1st ingredient is camelia/tsubaki oil, followed by other oils and extracts (no chemical/fragrance/problems from a quick skim of ingredients, all seems to be good stuff).

(New addition!) Marula oil: very mild herbal scent. The thickness is between Boscia Tsubaki and Tarte Maracuja, but honestly the difference is so subtle that it doesn't really matter between these 3 oil (unlike if you were to compare Fresh Seaberry and Argan oil). It's a bit thicker than Tsubaki but spreads/sinks in just as easily. It claims to be 99% marula with 1% essential oil blend, no fragrance or active ingredients there. The only possible problem is if you are severely allergic to lavender, which is the very last ingredient for Marula and Tsubaki oil, otherwise it's all good stuff.

Tarte Maracuja Oil: slightly thicker than Seaberry like Vit D serum-oil. It feels smooth going on rather than that thin greasy oily feel. Takes a bit longer to sink in and smells like potato chips oil (cooking oil). Unlike Seaberry that disappears, this makes the skin feel a tad more plump/sturdy/moisturized after it sinks in. It is advertised as 100% organic maracuja oil, so that's that.

Argan Oil: a tad thicker than Maracuja with a more gooey consistency, feels velvety on the face and takes the longest to sink in (but less than 1-2min). Great for dry skin or even combo skin in the winter. It doesn’t have much of a scent. If this feels too thick to rub onto face and tugs, try putting a couple drops into the palm, rub them together to warm it up and press onto face. 100% organic argan oil.

Nude ProGenius: The consistency is as thick as Argan oil, but once you rub it in the skin, it feels thicker like cream where it feels like it left a velvety protective layer on the skin. It doesn't feel as hydrating/penetrating as other oils, but if you have problem with oils disappearing after a couple hours, this will stay and work well as a top/final layer to seal the serum/hydration stuff underneath. While this feel quite luxe, it does have that no.2 pencil (lead) smell. It's quite a blend with some common cheap oils (corn oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil) but mostly a lot of exotic(ish) oils and trace amount of alcohol (since it's one of the last ingredients).

You can definitely use oil regardless of if you have oily/normal dehydrated skin or dry skin, and they do not cause/worsen/irritate my acne. They hydrate well and sink in well as long as you apply sparingly. They are good for preventive/first sign anti-aging or de-hydration wrinkles. For anything more, an actual anti-aging serum will provide more benefit (Murad, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Dior One Essential).

If you have any question about oils listed above, let me know (through PM) and I will check. 

ChicDabbler

Re: Facial oil comparison/break down (moisturizer kind)

(0) Hearts

What skin type do you have? I'm generally oily/combo, which gets dehydrated and have dry/flaky/irritated patches so oils are great for winter. I've tried Argan oil in the summer before and it's a bit too thick for me since only gel-cream will do.

AmyC

EXTREMELY HELPFUL! THANK YOU!

jerseyjazz

(0) Hearts

Which one would be best for the absolute "thirstiest" skin? My skin is beyond dehydrated after a few years back using Proactiv and Retin-A :smileysad:

ChicDabbler

The best for "thirstiest" skin...most moisturizers serve 2 purposes, hydration and protection. If you live in a humid area then you probably need hydration and the protective layer (like dimethicone or thick oil) may actually clog pores and your skin won't like it. If you live in a dry area where it feels like everything you put on your face just evaporates, then protective layer is important to seal in the moisture/nutrients delivered to your skin.

Since your dehydration is from med/skincare, I would recommend Boscia Tsubaki oil (yes Fresh Seaberry is thinner but it contain fragrance whic may not be good for acne-prone skin, I'm assuming that's why you are on Proactiv). Put 3-5 drops in your palm and thoroughly massage it into the skin. If it's really dry then the oil may be completely absorbed in a couple min and you can either press on another layer or seal it in with a moisturizer. Also, you can try using a hydrating toner before this.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Marula oil added! It's closer to Tarte Maracuja than Boscia Tsubaki in terms of consistency and finish. Honestly I'm reaching the limit of being able to distinguish the difference between different oil here since they are so close. So, any comments on Marula are welcome. =)

shaniceee

Other than the Argan Oil, which of the oils would you recommend for parched skin? So far, oils seem to just sit on my skin and not actually sink in. What do you think is best?

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

You mentioned Boscia one in your other post so try that. If that's too heavy you can go lighter with Fresh Seaberry. If that's a bit too light/not enough hydration, try Tarte Maracuja. =)

makeupobesessed

Thanks fr the analysis!  I have a deluxe sample of the nude, which I love, a deluxe of the marajuca I haven't tried yet and the Josie Maran argan oil.  I also love that one, but nude seems to be my fav.  My nose gets so dry from blowing it in the winter, I am constantly rubbing it on my face.

MizzyyzziM

Great post everybody! I learned a lot about beauty oils from this!

Warm Regards!

Missy

Panda168

[ Edited ]

Update: I will be trying the Marula oil, Fresh's Seaberry oil and Boscia's Tsubaki... hopefully I will find one that can hydrate well for my finicky skin.

Original: 

I have only tried Tarte Maracuja oil and Josie Maran's Argan Oil. I prefer Tarte's Maracuja oil over JM's Argan oil... it absorbs into my skin and Argan oil is heavier even when I pat it in. I do, however, really like Josie Maran's Daily Moisturizer with SPF40. 

I have Sensitive skin with dryness in the winter so moisture is crucial.

I really appreciated the extensive review on the aforementioned oils. I passed this information along to my best friend.

penelopeblooms

Thank you so much Beautytester!  That helps a lot.  :smileyhappy:  I already have some Argan oil I've never used, so maybe I will play with that a little before I buy something new.  Thanks again!

penelopeblooms

This is a really good post.  Does the Seaberry really do anything?  I'm a Fresh junkie and was wondering about the Seaberry oil, but I'm not sure what benefits it would provide. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It is the most lightweight oil of the ones I've tested. Right now my dry/combo skin need something thick and protective like argan oil. However, I cannot use argan oil in the summer at all without my face feeling itchy like it's about to break out, mostly because it's so thick and hydrating. So if you have oily/combo skin and most oil are too thick for you, I recommend Seaberry.

I'm somewhat doubtful of the anti-aging claims they have (unless the aging is partially caused by dehydration or not absorbing the serum/moisturizer).  I have to admit, after a week of using pure oil, I do enjoy the feeling of cream better. However, the benefit of using oil I see are:

1) you don't have to worry about it peeling/flaking, and you can use peeling/flaking prone serum under it since you can press it on instead of rubbing it on (if you rub moisturizer on your hand then press onto face, majority of it goes on your hand and it dries/sinks in so fast.

2) you can pair it with anything and it will never irritates. Sometimes the active ingredients in the treatment, serum, moisturizer don't mix well and either cancel each other out or have adverse effect on the skin. This is just oil, it goes with everything. So if you have sensitive skin that hates everything, facial oil should be fine.

3) it takes a while to absorb but it does absorb. Because it takes a while to absorb you have time to spread it all over your face instead of wasting half of it on your hand, which also means you don't need much. But because it does absorb eventually, if your skin have difficulty absorbing cream/serum, a lightweight oil might work.

twinmommie2

Anyone used the boscia beauty oil yet? I gave In too and purchased online yesterday, maybe this will be the one for me. I am 47 and my skin is in good shape, mean no wrinkles yet. I think my oily skin actually saves me. Hope the oil is a hit.

MoreGun89

Everything that BT said, although I've been using it in my hair (a few drops with conditioner) until I use up some other face things, but I did use some on my neck, it spreads very nicely, and is incredibly moisturizing.  It looks like it's not just tsubaki oil but an oil blend, and rice bran oil is an incredible ingredient that it has.  And I do have to add that the packaging is a huge plus, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this product that isn't feminine, the packaging is beautiful, the bottle is a lovely magenta, and even the dropper is well shaped, and the mild floral scent.  So far, I'm loving it!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Trying the Boscia Tsubaki oil right now (just got it today). I love the mild floral scent. It's thin and spreads easily like Seaberry, but does not disappear and leaves the skin feel soft and moisturized almost as much as Tarte Maracuja.

Panda168

When comparing Tarte's Maracuja oil and Boscia Tsubaki oil... which one did you like better?

MoreGun89

Agreed, both are very multipurposable oils, but I definitely find myself liking the maracuja oil best for skin care.  And the reasons BT mentioned :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

You can't go wrong with either. I'm not a big fan of Tarte's smell, but it goes away pretty fast so it's not a problem. Boscia is an oil blend, but it does not contain fragrance or chemicals, just all good oils/extracts so it should be fine for acne prone skin, too.

I would chose Tarte over Boscia mainly because for the same price, Tarte is pure maracuja oil while Boscia also includes olive oil, sunflower seed oil so I feel like Tarte is a better value. Boscia also includes trace amount of lavender oil, which some people find allergic/irritating (it's rare but it does happen).

They both claim to have brightening/even skin tone and anti-aging benefit, but I think that's more because they provided nourishment in form of vitamin and hydration to the skin. For serious anti-agers or brightening, you probably want something other than facial oil.

pigie

does anyone know which oil is good for acne-prone skin?

ChicDabbler

Agree with everyone below. Oil does not cause or worsen acne as long as you apply sparingly (I have combo skin and 3 drops is good enough for me, more than that my face gets stuffy and feels like it's about to break out). I don't know if they help with acne since I usually don't get any.

Fresh and Tarte have the lightest consistency, so I would suggest starting there for acne-prone skin unless you have dry skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 84 replies
  • 128 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • mberteig
    • chupi
    • shaniceee
    • twinmommie2
    • tinyjenny