BrennaBombshell

Face shaving for women?

I've recently seen a few articles about shaving the peach fuzz off of your cheeks and upper lip and so on, to help you have a more even complexion and to allow your makeup to apply better. 

I don't believe in the whole "it'll grow back darker and thicker" thing, and I know that Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor did the shaving thing, and that dermaplaning has become popular.

Has anyone tried this or know anyone that has? I have fine peach fuzz over my cheeks, and sometimes it's annoying when I'm trying to go for the flawless makeup look, and I don't think I could handle waxing or threading my cheeks, but if razoring works, then I'm willing to give it a shot. 

I also read online that it helps to remove a layer of dead skin, like exfoliating, and can give you a more even complexion. 

BeautyLove02

Re: Face shaving for women?

(0) Hearts

I don't think I would do it. My mom now has thick, stubborn black hairs on her upper lip and chin from shaving. She used to have very light blonde peach fuzz and then she starting shaving the area. Now, its very noticeable (it has been for 10-15 years) and she really has to keep up with it. There's been many days when she didn't or couldn't, and I felt really bad for her. She would warn me against shaving any facial hair because of what she's going through. Everyone is different though.

bratknits

Shaving doesn't change the thickness or color of hair, perimenopause and menopause often do though.

picky8

(0) Hearts

My esthetician recommends that I shave my entire face because it is exfoliating. I don't have hair on my face, but she recommends it as a way to exfoliate without chemicals. I have never been able to bring myself to do it though!

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

No to **bleep** anyone's bubble, but Consumer Reports hated No No. (CR usually is dead on with its reviews.)

Part of their findings: Panelists used words such as “prickly” and  “hairy” to describe how their legs felt after No No. All six said the treated leg was never hair- or stubble-free during the six weeks of testing. Something else that panelists noticed: the smell of burned hair. The final straw? Using No No took far longer than shaving—up to 25 minutes per leg. None of the panelists said they’d want to buy the device, though some described it as “cute.”

AKRinNY

I'm curious what word was bleeped... What exactly were you doing to our bubbles?

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

I had no idea there was a Bleep function. I had written another word for POP that you can do to a balloon with a pin. It rhymes with the casual first name of President Nixon. :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

[ Edited ]

At first I was thinking, "Richard" nothing rhymes with Rich or Ricky or... Oh, right Tricky _ _ _ _ " 

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

Yep! :smileywink:

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

again, I forgot....with my NO-NO the first time I tried it, I FREAKED OUT do to the smell of burnt hair, but that is natural and I learned about the stubble the hard way, i went over the SAME AREA on my shins and knees way too many times and was pressing way too hard and I ended up burning my skin. If it doesnt remove in 2 passes at an angle, it is too short of a stubble and you will need to give it a few days, depending on how fast your hair grows. ( Oh, and they advertise that now they have a NO-NO for men, lol, the ONLY difference is a new color of NO-NO, a SHINY BROWN colored NO-NO , instead of PINK, BLUE or WHITE....lol...like the color makes it sooooo different for men, NOT ! hahaha

1SultrySCENTNut

I know that the NO-NO is not a cheap product, but I bought one and it is worth it !! ( However, you have to remember that it will not get the teeny=tiny hair stubbles that appear after shaving, you have to let it grow to be a bit more than a stubble or there wont be enough contact for the NO-NO to work properly, thats many peoples mistakes and why so many complain it doesnt work )

I used to have a soft , fine layer of hair....It bothered me even though NOBODY could see it or even knew it was there unless they rubbed my face...

I love my NO-NO :smileyhappy:

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

thanks for the information! Does it prevent hair regrowth over time, like it says on the commercials? i plan to get one eventually...can't wait to try it!

gogreyhound

I have wanted to try the " No-No" hair removal implement, has anyone tried this? 

As far as the whole hair regrowth thing: I taught cosmetology for 8 years before becoming a nurse, so I know a few things about hair and skin... The hair root grows from the papilla, which is at the bottom of the follicle, deep underneath your skin. The only thing that will affect how it grows is anything that will affect this papilla. Lasers, electolysis, etc destroy the papilla, resulting in no more regrowth. Tweezing/threading yanks the hair out from papilla/follicle, and a whole new hair has to grow in, this is why it takes longer to grow back. These hairs will have a finely tapered end, looking and feeling thinner/softer. Shaving/cutting  cuts it off at a blunt angle at the skin level, resulting in it looking or feeling coarser/prickly when it grows back. Everyone's hair grows at different rates, so one person may shave and notice regrowth by the end of the day, others not for a day or two. It also varies based on your hair's color, texture, etc. 

Since the hair follicle is usually accompanied by an oil gland (same openings) and close to sweat glands (different openings), anything you do to the hair and skin can affect each other, such as waxing, depilatories, shaving causing irritation, clogged pores, ingrown hairs. So, you have to try and see what works for your own skin and hair type. But, it is a myth that shaving makes it grow back thicker and darker. If you have 100 hairs above your lip, you wont make 150 grow back...they will just look or feel more obvious due to the lack of taper on the end. 

Personally, I use my little cuticle scissors to trim off fuzz, but I am thinking about more drastic measures. I do have what I affectionately (not!) call my "sasquatch hair" that I have discovered likes to grow  about an inch long from my jawline, so I keep an eye out for that and tweeze on first sighting. ugh!

I hope this helped!! There will be a quiz tomorrow...have a great night! :smileywink:

anaa

It depends on your hair type.  My friend tried it and got a five o'clock shadow which was quite noticeable.  She had to shave twice a day and it really didn't accomplish anything as far as getting her the hair free look she wanted.  As far as it not growing back coarse, it will grow back the same way hair on your legs does, and mine grows back prickly.  As lylysa points out, you probably would have to let it grow back to get rid the angle caused by shaving.

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

wont it grow back even thicker?! (I have thought about this before though)

Blackwhiskey

What I do is just use those little scissors, I don't know what the technical term for them is but .. oh I guess they're eyebrow scissors. Anyway, my hair is black and sometimes I can't afford hair removal creams so I just cut it off with scissors. I did the shaving thing once a long time ago under my chin and well I'm paying the consequences with stubble and even some discoloration, I'm guessing cause the skin is irritated.. not too sure though. Anyways, i've rambled now, good luck.

lylysa

To me it's very dependent on the texture of your own hair, some folks have more translucent/fair colored hairs with a softer and finer texture, while some have darker hair that may be a bit thicker/coarse in comparison so when shaving, since the action cuts hair off at a blunt angle, when it grows back there will be a gap when hair tapers off and becomes "smoother" feeling again.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/FACIAL-PEACH-FUZZ/m-p/625951/highlight/true#M14315

The above thread has a pic which I drew up that shows this.

Also, how much peach fuzz do you have on your cheeks? There's also the option of depilatory creams/removers, if you do end up shaving, be sure to use a razor with a fresh blade, dull blades are just an all around no-no.

MsStacey1990

I use the facial shaver, and never had any trouble and the hair doesnt grow back darker nor coarser! ive been doing it for years! and sometimes i tweeze so itll take awhile to grow back! it does help the makeup to apply nice 

DTalksAll

Even before I started to use retinol products, my skin would have a similar reaction to your when I'd get waxed. Even using an epilator or threading would result in some clogged pores. 

I purchased those mini disposable bikini/eyebrow razors & use it once a week on my face. Gets rid of peach fuzz, and darker hairs. I do need to tweeze my 3 pesky thick chin hairs, every few weeks, but I usually do that when I tweeze my brows. 

DiVWA

I'm in minority but I say don't shave. I have asked dermatologists about this and they say the hair comes in coarser. I've been told that waxing does the same.

The problem is that once you start, you can't really "go back" if it's true that the texture/growth changes. I guess one way to test this is to just do it on a small area on one part of the face, over like a year's time or more, and see what happens. I'd be tempted to go that route than do it all at once and find out I'm one of those unlucky ones who has it grow in coarser and/or darker.

If the hairs are already darker and longer, I would have them permanently removed via laser or electrolysis. If they are truly just peach fuzz (light in color and softer in texture), then I would let them be. Just be sure to apply powder so that it goes with the direction of the hair flow.

quotidianus

[ Edited ]

I've never had a aesthetician or dermatologist say that hair comes back coarser, thicker or darker.  In fact, I've been told that it is, as dannyc said, a myth.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • kirstensf
    • picky8
    • anaa
    • dianabt
    • lylysa