evno

Dry brushing 101

[ Edited ]

I've heard so many good things, but I have NO idea what it is, besides that you probably brush your skin... while it's dry... :smileytongue:  But really, any tips and tricks to getting started would be appreciated, because I have tons of questions:

1) What kind of brush do I use?

2) Is llama hair okay?

3) Brush recommendations?

4) Does this mean I finally have to get a Clarisonic?

5) How often do I need to clean the brush?

6) Do I brush before or after showering?

7) Do I brush before or after moisturizing?

8) Is face dry-brushing a thing?

9) What if my face has a mustache?

10) How do I brush sensitive skin?

11) What are the benefits of dry brushing besides getting rid of skin flakes?

12) Any horror stories (bad experiences)?

Edit: Added numbers to the questions!

evno

Re: Dry brushing 101

Ok, so based on everyone's responses (thank you!), I guess dry brushing is more for circulatory and lymphatic benefits, rather than an aesthetic benefit? Also, should I not dry brush if I have flaky skin on my legs?

quotidianus

I absolutely see and feel an aesthetic benefit to it.  My skin does look healthier and feels so soft.  I think many things that are healthier tend to also have an additional benefits to the skin (eating lots of fruit and veg, staying hydrated, exercising, etc).

Anyway, I totally recommend it!

LindenAnn

[ Edited ]

Dry brushing is great for flaky skin! That's why I started doing it, everything else is just icing. I drybrush, then put some oil on my legs and hop in the shower and finish with body butter afterwards. It's done wonders for my legs and upper arms! (no scaly patches! \o/)

Although if you're doing it more for skin texture and such going in a circular motion seems to work a bit better than short strokes towards your middle.

evno

(0) Hearts

Do you find that you have to exfoliate less?

LindenAnn

Yes! I only use my salt scrub once every week or two now, and that's mostly because it's packed in oil and makes my legs feel buttery soft. :smileyhappy: They are less itchy and I don't feel like I need to slather lotion on them every 20 minutes anymore, and I've only had one scaly red patch this winter. (Usually I have them constantly, yay crazy dry skin.)

Urbie

I've actually only ever done dry brushing as part of a detox diet- as quoti mentioned, it stimulates the lymphatic system, so it is really great for that.  The only thing I have to add to this is :the reason to brush towards your midsection, as that is where the major lymphatic drains are.  Use should use a fairly light hand when dry brushing, especially if doing it for detox or immune system stimulation- your lymphatics respond best to a feather light touch. 

ChicDabbler

1-4. natural hair usually preferred. I just got mine from the natural/health section of the grocery store. You can probably use the Clarasonic body brush one if you really want.

5. I.....actually haven't cleaned mine since it's dry....I suppose you can spray alcohol on it occasionally.
6-7. Brush before showering and before moisturizing.
8. No face dry brushing
9. Good luck.
10. Sensitive skin for body? tread lightly, use a softer brush?
11. Increase circulation/detox.
12. no

evno

(0) Hearts

I just love your answer to #9. Good luck. LOL!

rdesigns

Sorry evno, I just have no control over this llama thing. I will try to do better tomorrow.

LLAMA_BRUSHES_by_Love2B.jpg

Plantgarden

Poor little Llamas :smileysad:

evno

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Would any of these work?

rdesigns

My husband uses a Shiseido brush on his face (it is an older brush and I am not even sure they make it anymore but it is very similar to the facial brushes you posted).  He alternates it with the Clarisonic.  The facial brushes are much too soft and pliable for him to use on his body though.

quotidianus

[ Edited ]

I dry brush daily, and I really feel I do get a benefit from it.

1-4: You can order one from Amazon, as they have a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and natural bristles (coconut, palm, cactus).  You'll want to find one that will work well for you.  I have two really nice ones at home with wood bases and removable handles, and I keep a smaller palm one in my kit locker at the gym.  I would recommend natural plant fibers. I wouldn't recommend a Clarisonic for dry brushing. 

5: Although many natural fibers have anti-microbial properties, I do clean my brushes ever couple of days by spraying 99% isopropyl alcohol on them and letting them air dry.

6-7, 10, 12: You'll want to brush before you shower and moisturize.  Brush in short, quick strokes always toward your heart.  You don't have to be heavy-handed, but you'll want to brush vigorously.  I have very sensitive skin, and I have no issues with this.  The only thing I'd caution you about is if you have a cut or scrape, you'll want to skip that area.

8-9: I would not recommend dry brushing for the face.  I use the Clarisonic Aria with a luxe brush for that, and I love it.  You can also use a washcloth and move in circles over your face to help exfoliate.

11: Dry brushing exfoliates, can help to add a lovely, healthy glow to your skin, and stimulates the lymphatic system which supports overall health!

:heart:

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Another 100 hearts!!  :heart:

LindenAnn

It also reduces the appearance of cellulite! My thighs look so much better since I've started drybrushing.

killahbabe

Quoti,

Are there softer bristles out there? I've always gotten all scratched and scraped up when I've used a brush. I apply very little pressure but nothing seems to help. For a bit of insight on my sensitive skin, I was unable to use my Clarisonic even with the cashmere and sensitive brushes because even those would cause scratches. :smileysad:

quotidianus

Eesh, girl.  I though I had sensitive skin!  Maybe try a sisal or agave fiber wash cloth/mitt ... they're woven and the fibers are a little softer, so I think might be less likely to be abrasive.

rdesigns

I definitely recommend the llama brush :smileywink:

My husband actually dry brushes the skin on his body to help his lymphatic system.  He usually does it before showering.  He uses a wooden brush with fairly soft bristles in a direction towards his heart.  I really should try this sometime.

killahbabe

What purpose are you wanting to use this for: improving circulation, exfoliation, etc...? I don't use a dry brush (too harsh on my skin), but I do use a wooden massager that has little wooden nubbies. I'll attach a picture. I use it for increasing circulation and it really helps. I have Raynaud's which is a huge problem for me here in PA during winter, but I also have circulation problems in general.

But if you want to use a dry brush, do it BEFORE you shower and BEFORE you moisturize. I've seen face brushes for dry brushing, but I could never use it on my skin.

brush.jpg

(Mine is ONLY the right side... no brush)

Cynara

My sister has Raynaud's.  I'll have to recommend dry brushing to her.  I've just started it myself, and it really does help with exfoliation.  This sounds really strange, but have you looked into brushes for horses? I'm a rider, and when I looked for a brush for me, I was struck by how similar they are to horse brushes.  Some of them are made with natural fibers and are just for the horse's face, so they're really soft.  If your Clarisonic cashmere brush was too harsh, this still might not help you, but maybe worth checking out.  They're available on Amazon, and Dover Saddlery also sells a face brush made of goat hair that might work.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 59 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • ChicDabbler
    • Urbie
    • rdesigns
    • evno
    • mychoi