CaitlinBrunson

Do you need an eye cream?

Paula's Choice is very ANTI eye cream. Saying that any good moisturizer you should be able to put around your eye area. Most eye creams I have used have always my be itchy. I am wondering your thoughts?

sbowden

Re: Do you need an eye cream?

One of my eyebrows is higher than the other too!!! My electrologist managed to fix it for me, but it was such a struggle during my high school years, lol.

rdesigns

[ Edited ]

Good for you for wearing your sunglasses:smileyhappy:  Skin concerns aside, and especially if you have green or blue eyes, wearing sunglasses help protect your eyes themselves from damage. My husband and I are total sunglass addicts, we have over 50 pairs...lol  The most important things are the lenses though, and if they filter enough of the damaging rays from your actual eyes.

CaitlinBrunson

I have always worn sunglasses and used SPF, especially under the eyes. I am born and raised in the south. Unless you want your face to look like a leathered Shar Pei, have constant migraines, or go blind, you don't really have any other option. 

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I am on the fence. I am wondering if I should just get a moisturizer for dry skin and put it on my eye area. I have extreme combo skin and love my moisturizer now but think that a more intense moisture is necessary for the eye area. Thoughts?

dannyc

(0) Hearts

just get a different eye gel. Why switch moisturizers for your eyes, when you can get a product that's made for the eyes? 

Do you have any deluxe samples of eye products, 100 pt perks, foil packets? I honestly can't remember when was the last time I paid for eye cream besides recently when PTR had their $5 sale. I bought 3 of the eye cream, but it's an expensive product, so I didn't feel guilty over it. Before that I was using a murad I got from beautybar, lancome that was a 100 pt perk, OH from their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals last year and various other samples from companies. 

FAB has a nice eye gel that's light weight but moisturizing. Boscia's eye gel works wonders for the eye lid (when wearing heavy makeup and removing, sometimes my lids dry out)... 

CaitlinBrunson

With my sensitive skin and allergies, I unfortunately do not have the luxury to use random perks or samples. WIth any skincare product I have, I have to ask for a sample to see how it works with my skin and heavily research the ingredients. Also, not a fan of the jar packaging that comes with so many eye creams. (I'm a germo-phob!) I just think getting a moisturizer made more for dry skin and using it on the eyes would be a better bang for my buck. 

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Tip from a fellow germaphobe: In the skincare section of sephora, they have tiny plastic "scoops" to get product out to sample- I always use either one of those (and wash it) or scoop out eye cream with a q-tip.  Also, you can put a small portion of eye cream in a smaller jar and put the full sized item in the fridge, which will slow the rate that bacteria can reproduce to keep the product fresher!

Also, getting a good eye cream is really important because the skin around the eyes is so different.  Most eye creams make me itch, but the Murad Hydro-Dynamic eye cream works really well, and lasts forever, esp if you follow the steps above!  I found that when I first started using it (or after I stop using it for a while) it can tingle around the eye for about 10 or 15 minutes, but that passes after using it for a few days. Good luck!

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I am so glad that I am not alone! On Sunday I had a mini freak out because I was getting a sample from a brand rep and she had to go grab a pen to write down my sample name while another customer put their finger in my sample jar!!! Not the original container, my sample! (I know I might sound nuts) 1. I thought how rude/gross of that customer and 2. would it be rude of me to ask the rep for a new sample?! Thankfully I was able to give that sample to the finger dipper and get a new one from a brand new jar too! 

That is a great tip! I have a bunch of Lush sample jars (they are opaque black jars) Meaning the little light exposure they'd get in the fridge wouldn't be an issue! (Seriously I really do have germ issues)

I have heard so many good things about the Murad hyrdo! Too bad menthyl lactate irritates my skin so bad that I want to scratch my eyes out! Thankfully I think I've found a couple ones that I don't react bad too and with your tip I can use them!

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Agh, that is so gross!  Glad you got a different sample!  

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I know right?! I wasn't about to lecture a grown woman about not dipping her fingers in things! I'm glad the opportunity presented itself for me to get a clean, finger free sample! 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I don't.  Some moisturizers are too heavy for your eyes.  You're too young to need something too strong.  Check out Fresh Lotus Eye Gel.  Or seriously, check out Clinique All About Eyes which is fragrance free and very thoroughly tested.  Don't mess with what is working for your skin if it is working.  Spend the time/money investigating a proper eye cream (sephora will give you samples and you can return something if it doesn't work).

I've got some heavy dry skin moisturizers and I wouldn't want them near my eyes.

Google Caroline Hirons (she has a fabulous block) and then search on her site for eye creams.  She's got a piece on why you do/don't want/need one.  And she's got recommendations on different choices.

And not all eye creams/serums come in jars.  There are some nice rollerballs and the Fresh gel comes in a pump, as do others.

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I read Caroline Hirons every day! Love her! I was just wondering if there were people out there that don't use eye cream. 

I can't use Fresh's Lotus Gel - bad reactions to peel oil.

I like the Clinique All About Eyes, but it has horrible packaging. A sheer plastic jar is just waiting for the benefits too weaken over time with light and air, setting it up to be a petri dish. I so wish they put this in a tube or an opaque jar at least! 

After returning my Claudalie Vinosource (I hate my sensitive eyes!) I have a sample of Algenist's Firming and Lifting Eye Gel and Ole Henriksen Visual Truth and haven't had any reactions there (though the OH has the same issue with the Clinique) 

dannyc

(0) Hearts

Yup, the lighter weight eye products usually come in a pump. Fresh, DDG, Ren & Bosica are all light-weight, safe enough for eye lids, and come in a pump & Fresh comes in a Tube. 

lovelykatya

(0) Hearts

personally I use eye cream and I'd say its worth it.

Sometimes I do not drink enough water, other times my eyes are really dry or tired/puffy. With eye cream I get the extra moisture in gentle under the eye (sometimes lid) area I need. Most eye creams are not miracle workers and would not do what they promise (or if they do results are very minimal, or its all psychological lol).

I use Tarte maracuja  eye cream and sometimes  also Josie Maran argan oil.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I'm 25 and still don't use eye cream on a regular basis. I own one eye cream that I like very much but I haven't gotten into the habit of using it every night.

The skin around your eye area is much thinner/more delicate/more sensitive that I wouldn't want to use just whatever in that area. I do have sensitive skin and a lot of samples of eye cream that I tried either made my under eye area burn or my eyes water.

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

You and me both! 

melde

I take her reviews with a grain of salt. Some seem like very all-encompassing, good reviews, but some just say things like, "I did not like the smell." and I don't think that is a very complete review.

As far as eye cream, I'm not really sure. In college I lived in a very cold, dry climate, and my eyes would sometimes get so dry that when I'd go out and it was cold and windy they would hurt, a lot. Moisturizer didn't work. I got Clinique All About Eyes Rich and it worked wonders. I guess I just don't think there are a ton of things in life that you should make blanket statements about.

shinybananas

I'm starting to think I don't, but it's been drilled into every sentient woman that you NEED one.  Luckily, I live off of deluxe samples and don't purchase them much.

I also second the doubts about Paula Begoun.  For example, she stresses (correctly) that foundation with SPF isn't enough to protect you from the sun.  Fair enough.  Then she gives poor ratings to foundations that either don't have SPF or not enough SPF for her taste.  Well, which is it?  Personally, I use a dedicated sunscreen for my face and prefer my moisturizers and makeup to be SPF-free.  So, yeah, she's a resource, but not the end-all be-all.  She seems to contradict her own advice.

That being said, I really like some of her products, notably the retinol serum.  

alm35

I don't trust Paula's Choice since in the middle of a quite a few reviews, they openly hawk a Paula's Choice product. That's just unbelievably tacky.

I like a separate eye cream/serum because I have really dark undereye circles and don't need that kind of brightening all over my face. But I suppose if you're using a moisturizer that's unfragranced and you don't have any major eye issues to resolve (dark circles, milia, puffiness, etc.), save the money and just use the moisturizer.

Carmen241986

I actually bought her book, and was flabbergasted by her reviews of everything. Not much in her eyes seems to be worth the buy. However she gives her own stuff much better reviews. 

dannyc

I don't have extremely sensitive skin & allergic to everything under the sun, so I take everything Paula says with a grain of salt. Not to mention she is really bad at updating her site when it comes to reformulated products. 

The Anthony Logistics Glycolic cleanser is a HG product for many BTers & Paula gives it a poor review. 

I also think she gives products bad reviews just to push her own products. 

I love eye cream, but I don't have major issues with my eyes, so I just use whatever promo/sample/freebie I get. I do think eye creams make a difference, and my moisturizers are too thick/heavy for the delicate eye area. I will bring my retinol serum up to my eyes, but I apply eye cream/gel after. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 43 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • dannyc
    • sephoramusthave
    • kirstensf
    • lovelykatya
    • aviscardi
    • beautytester