Arlandria88

Difficulty Applying Makeup Following Exfoliating

[ Edited ]

I tend to exfoliate my face twice a week.  I love the peel gel products such as PTR Peeling Gel or Koh Gen Do Gommage. Sometimes I use ExfoliKate or the Boscia Black Mask. I've notice that whichever exfoliating treatment I use my makeup is harder to apply that day (or the next morning if I exfoliated before bed). It just doesn't go on right and I always feel like things look "off".  Maybe it's because my skin is too smooth and foundation doesn't adhere the same way? Maybe it's because oil production is decreased? I don't know exactly. My skin looks great after exfoliation and I credit my routine with keeping my face blemish free but it's annoying to have days where my makeup doesn't look right. I just don't feel my most attractive--- Which is a bummer.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do you fix it? Is there a product that you use to get your skin back to normal after exfoliation?

lylysa

Re: Difficulty Applying Makeup Following Exfoliating

True that. I will def agree that in terms of finding the better time to infuse more moisture would be at night, generally because at least at night you get to rest and you're not having to run around in the sun or heat and worry about a moisturizer not sitting well with make up.

Sometimes a hydrating mask also comes in handy too, especially right before bed as a good relaxation/extra pampering treatment! :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@Arlandria88- More hydrating than a gel Dr. Jart's product is a water based gel moisturizer and if your skin is really dry that's probably not going to provide enough hydration so sorry you were confused by that. And no your skin recovering at night is NOT a myth anyone knows that skin does the majority of cell turnover and regeneration at night it's just your body's way of doing that. My answer was to help you but clearly it's not appreciated so I'll pass on these from now on. Once again sorry for your confusion.

Arlandria88

I would be interested in seeing  the data from an unbiased scientific study proving that cell turnover increases at night. Skin is repairing itself and replacing cells every second of the day and night. It doesn't matter what time the clock says. 

beautylovingirl

Also you need to look into more of a hydrating night cream it's important to have a good night cream because you skin does the most recovering at night.

Arlandria88

(0) Hearts

MORE hydrating than what? More hydrating than the Dr Jart product that got mentioned here---- or more hydrating than what I currently use? I don't think I mentioned what I currently use so I'm confused as to why it's assumed to be not hydrating enough.

And I'm pretty sure it's just a myth that your skin recovers more at night. Why would it work harder at night? How does skin know it's night?

beautylovingirl

It may be that some of the exfoliating/ peel products that you are switching back and forth could be dehydrating you a little more than the other. Stick with one exfoliating product for the two times that you are exfoliating in that week and if your doing them close within the same days skip and extra day or two in between and see if that helps also.

Arlandria88

@Lylysa--- I do hydrate but the product you mention sounds interesting and very soothing. (I just came home with a bit of a sunburn and looking at the picture MaybeMaybe posted made me want to jump straight into the jar.)

Do you know if this moisturizer works well under makeup? or is it best just at bedtime? Also--- is it sticky after dry down?

lylysa

With sunburn factored in, gels are very nourishing and provide great instant relief (store the Water Sure Gel from Dr. Jart in your fridge for extra chilling comfort.

Since it's oil free, you won't worry about clogging pores or it feeling thick or heavy under make up. I do advise follow up with an SPF since it doesn't include it already in the formula (Shiseido and La Roche Posay make wonderful, thin, milk like sunscreens that layer over non-SPF lotions well). I haven't found this gel sticky and I live in a super humid environment, we're already in the triple digits!

Another option to look into (especially with sunburn or any constant sun exposure) is Korres Yoghurt and Milk line. Milk proteins and enzymes (lactic acid) are great for calming redness, inflammation, and sensitivities (be it due to allergies or things like too much sun). Lactic acid also helps to boost cellular regeneration so it works along with your topical exfoliants to help dissolve dead skin at the surface but also promotes new and healthy cell growth to replace what you're removing.

The reason why I bring up the gel based moisturizer from Dr. Jart is because it's a great balance of instant hydration and soothing nature with it's gel formation, but also provides deeper penetrating/long lasting hydration with ingredients like hyaluronic acid and olive fruit extracts along with a slew of other botanical based extracts to keep things light but still effective.

lylysa

Be sure to follow up any exfolianting process with a good moisturizer. Find formulas that absorb quickly but also provide continuous hydration throughout the night as you sleep since you've worked to remove layers of dead, topical skin and are revealing fresh, vulnerable layers that can dry out if not protected.

Dr. Jart's Water Fuse Gel is great as it's light weight, oil free, but contains humectants, which bind moisture from the atmosphere to skin as to ensure it won't dry out.

Removing dead/excess skin build up is vital, but preserving and ensuring that newly exposed skin is well taken care of will help in the long run.

MaybeMaybe

[ Edited ]

@Lylysa..... great advice.

I've had my eye on this product from Dr Jart:

swfupload_7378005825039805398.jpg

Is this the same one that you're referring to??

If so... by any chance do you have the FULL ingredient list? I can't find it. 

It sounds wonderful. Do you use it yourself?

lylysa

Here's a full ingredient list:

Water, Propanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycereth-26, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Trehalose , Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment, Filtrate, Fructan, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Sophora Japonica Flower Extract, Adansonia Digitata Seed Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Pinus Palustris Oil, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Olivate, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Olivate, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Carbomer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tropolone, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Disodium EDTA.

On the Dr. Jart webpage and Sephora product page, they highlight and give a break down on the top/active ingredients:

-Hyaluronic Acid: Can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water.
-Fructan and Trehalose: Hydrate.
-Olive Leaf Extract: Strengthens skin barrier.
-Lactobacillus Peptide: Protects; antibacterial.
-Baobab Seed Extract: Brightens.
-Sophora Japonica Flower: Moisturizes.
-Portulaca Oleracea Extract: Soothes.
-Cranberry Extract: Enhances elasticity.
-Equisetum Arvense Extract: Regenerates.

It's been my go-to Summer moisturizer. I live in a super hot/humid environment and though my skin isn't oily, the texture and formulation benefits my skin greatly so I don't sacrifice getting vital hydration compared to thicker/winter-time moisturizers.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 62 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • bearsmom
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl
    • miabt