Dermatitis, Skin Reactions to Products, Skin Allergies - Post concerns, problems, potential solutions here

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd start a thread for people to post issues they're having with their skin that relate to dermatitis, reactions to certain products, skin allergies, and similar issues. I think having a central thread may help for sharing ideas and learning from each other.

I have super sensitive skin myself but have been on BT long enough to see that practically everyone has had a skin reaction to some product or another and sometimes sharing with others really helps narrow down the cause and solution. This thread isn't meant to be a place to post about the more common skin issues such as minor acne, wrinkles, etc. that we all experience, but rather a place to post about the more unusual ones relating to specific products/ingredients or longer term ones that are not related to age or hormones such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, dermatitis, and just the puzzling things that our skin does from time to time.

I'm not an skincare expert by any means and unless someone asserts that he or she is one, this thread is more of a place to share ideas and experiences rather than a place to seek definitive answers or treatment. 

Other helpful threads:

Bite Beauty allergic reactions: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Bite-Beauty-Allergic-Reactions/td-p/2413760

Re: Dermatitis, Skin Reactions to Products, Skin Allergies - Post concerns, problems, potential solutions here

(0) Hearts

Most helpful treatments for perioral dermatitis?

Re: Dermatitis, Skin Reactions to Products, Skin Allergies - Post concerns, problems, potential solutions here

I started using the Fresh rose line (cleanser, serum, cream, eye cream) about a month ago as my skin gets drier in the Winter. Prior to this, I was just using cleanser and lotion. For makeup, I don't usually use foundation my skin was pretty clear, not much to cover. 

A week later, I started using make up for ever ultra HD foundation, just cause it's amazing and it makes my facial tone look even. 

And about a week ago I started using philosophy purity made simple facial cleanser since I ran out of my Fresh soy face cleanser. 

My skin started to break out five days ago. At first, I noticed small bumps on my forehead and my cheeks were a little red. 

In the past two days, it has been really really bad. I have rashes/blemishes on my cheeks, under my eyes, basically all over my face and on my neck. And just noticed some colorless bumps on my eyelids too. 

I'm not sure what the causes of my skin reactions. Is it because I added too many products on my face all in sudden? Or is it because of the philosophy facial cleanser? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! 

(0) Hearts

I think the cause could be a combination of the products (some ingredients not playing well together) and/or trying too many new products at once. The latter is usually the case with people who have more sensitive skin, but skin can become sensitive all of a sudden such as this time of year when indoor air is so dry and it's cold outdoors.

I suggest that if you're really uncomfortable with pain or itching, you may want to see a dermatologist. The benefit of seeing the dermatologist is if your reaction happens to be something other than an allergic reaction, he or she will know. The dermatologist will likely prescribe a topical medication, which probably won't have the side effects that using OTC medications like hydrocortisone would have.

In the meantime, I suggest stopping all the facial products right now, just until the rash/bumps dissipate a bit. Then if your skin seems clear (or normal as it was a month or two ago), then restart the oldest/proven product first (the Fresh Rose line). Give yourself lots of time before trying the next product. You could do a patch test on your inner arm for the newer products separately (don't do more than one patch test at once) but results can be misleading because facial skin is sometimes more reactive than skin on inner arm. But patch test would be good idea for at least the MUFE foundation, as that's the product in your lineup (besides the Fresh line) that you're leaving on your skin for an extended period of time. 

That's how I'd approach it but if you do see a dermatologist, he or she may suggest a different approach.

Glad to have found this thread.  I had a horrible allergic reaction derm said contact dermatistis last week and am still dealing with the fallout a wk later.  My whole face and neck especially my eyelids were inflamed, swollen, and horribly itchy it felt like my face was on fire.  The derm had to prescribe 5 days of steroids and an antibiotic.  Unfortunately I am also diabetic so while the steriods helped my face these caused my glucose levels to skyrocket.  I am not sure what caused the reaction I have very acne prone skin even after 3 rounds of accutane during my lifetime.  I had been trying lots of new products mostly Peter Thomas Roth I was really happy bc they seemed to be helping most I had been using for a few wks without issue. I am thinking it was possibly a reaction to a retinoid I only tried it a day or 2 or maybe I developed a allergy to salicylic acid.  I started having this type of rashes about a year ago but this was worst yet the derm said without the steriod I probably wouldnt have been able to open my eyes the nxt day bc they were so swollen.  He recommended I get patch skin testing but it will be awhile before the appt. I have always been allergy prone, sensitive skin and prone to rashes.  I couldn't even use disposal diapers as a baby.  I have had prick testing and 13 years of allergy shots.  My neck is still very itchy  red and sensitive more than a week later.  I am really afraid of setting off another bad reaction especially as I don't know what is causing it.

[ Edited ]

That sounds awful! In me, the eyelids and neck are the areas that flare up.

I think it's a good idea that you're going to have a patch test. I had the T.R.U.E. patch test done on me last year and it was extremely helpful in pinpointing the allergens that were causing me issues.

I hope that things clear up for you quickly. Usually when I react to something now, it takes me about 5 or 6 weeks to clear my system. It depends on how bad the initial reaction was though. My reaction period is longer because I have the autoimmune type of contact dermatitis (Allergic Contact Dermatitis), so that each exposure causes worse (and usually quicker) reactions. You likely won't take as long to recuperate.

As you probably already plan to do, quit using your products right now. When I'm at my worst, I use only the safe ones that I know have never caused me issue -- these are ones that are somewhat boring in the skincare world (meaning no bells or whistles like anti-aging ingredients, retinols, acids, etc.). Ones that have worked for me include Paula's Choice Clinical Ultra Rich moisturizer (this works under eyes well too) and Vanicream lotion or cream. The Cetaphil thick cream works well too but it has paraben in it (but is thicker than the Vanicream in the tub is). Avoid CeraVe because they've reformulated to appeal to non-sensitive skin types yet still pretend that they are gentle enough for sensitive skin.

Once things settle down, approach any of your Peter Thomas Roth or other skincare type items very carefully. Try on inner part of your arm first for three days, washing off at night. Watch for reactions on your face or neck or arm. Only re-introduce one product at a time on your face and neck and go at least a few weeks before adding another one.

I had crazy serious keratin filled bumps covering my arms, that seemed to be KP, even onto the tops of my hands periodically. I cut out Gluten from my diet and suddenly within about a week the bumps and red spots disappeared entirely on my lower arms and the skin is completely smooth now. I'm shocked, this reaction had me hiding my arms for OVER 5 YEARS!!! I had terrible ingrown hairs and red spots on my pores all over my arms and legs, as the follicles were blocked w/keratin. I simply cannot believe the drastic change I'm seeing at the 2wk  mark! As per my Dr, I'm also going to begin using a salicylic 2% body spray and anti-acne body wash to purge the remaining ingrown hairs and get back to having normal-looking skin... Which I had literally given up on! It is insane that such a simple dietary modification is finally going to give me some relief after all this time! I have literally had mild KP on the backs of my upper arms and top of my thighs my entire life(I'm 33 now)! Now I just need to work on clearing up the final bits and lessening the appearance of the scars from attacking the itchy ingrown hairs. This is pretty anecdotal I realize, but if you are having bad issues w/KP, it is at the very least worth a shot to try eliminating Gluten for a while to see if you'll benefit.

Eliminated wheat, corn, dairy, and sugar.  When the dogs looked gorgeous after changing food and feeding treats of boiled egg, homemade brown rice flour cookies with dried fruits, olive oil and nuts...playing with the energy of puppies...thought a change would clear my skin.  Checkup today, shocked, dropped 9 pounds in a few weeks--didn't try to!  Not at all health oriented, laissez le bon temps roulez and all, but I can live with this.  Do miss cheese and french bread.  A gin cocktail, fresh veg and seafood at night, fruit and whole grain by day...can't believe this is ME.  Dewy makeup setting spray is good as well!  Also vitamin D3.

(0) Hearts

Carrots are another great dog treat if your pups like them! They even help clean their teeth a bit too Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Good for you! Food changes do make a difference for some people.

I have severe skin allergies to formaldehyde and to any preservatives that release even trace amounts of formaldehyde (such as quaternium). My skin is also sensitive in general to fragrances, so 100% fragrance free is best. What kind of foundation and concealer would be best for me to use? I haven't been able to find anything so far that works well and doesn't feel too heavy and sticky on my skin but that doesn't give me an allergic reaction either. 

Have you looked into Lorac and IT Cosmetics? Lorac is made free of known irritants and IT's creator has rosacea, so both very sensitive friendly.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi devonren! I don't know which foundations and concealers don't contain formaldehyde (quaternium,  DMDM hydantoin, etc.). You'll likely have to read through the ingredient list of each product that you're interested in. My impression is that some companies are backing off from using these ingredients, but you'll have to check each product ingredient list anyway. (I'm allergic to bronopol myself, which is apparently another formaldehyde releaser, but I've rarely seen that ingredient in any product I've looked at. Other allergens are in numerous products.)

Hopefully, someone will provide you some product brands that meet your criteria.

Great thread idea @DiVWA thank you!

My skin reaction is weird in that when I have a reaction to a product, sometimes my face gets itchy, but a lot of times, the front my neck gets red and itchy like hives. Someone told me we have lymph nodes around that area, so it's possible that's how my body tries to get rid of the product. I tried looking it up online, but I didn't find anyone else had frequent reactions like that.

I find that a lot of face oils tend to irritate my skin, like Sunday Riley Luna oil.  Tatcha products (even the one for sensitive skin) made me itchy and breakout.

Ole Henriksen vitamin C serum didn't react well with me either. I feel that a lot of products with Vitamin C doesn't sit well with me.

L'occitane soaps give me a rash if I use it all over my body, so I threw them away. 

Tanning oils give me a rash. 

I took Resveratrol supplements for a while, and that made my hives/rash appear more if I had a reaction to anything.

As I get older, I noticed I'm getting more of these. I never used to have a reaction to deodorant, but now I have to use that purple rock deodorant or I will get a rash on my armpits.  I also find myself becoming more allergic to cats, even though I love cats.

I once started using that EOS lip balm thing, and I got the worst lip reaction from just one use. I feel like my lips peeled and burned. I googled it, and apparently there's some class action lawsuit because it happened to a lot of people. I gave it to my  co-worker, but he said he never got the same reaction.

My skin is just sensitive. My dermatologist said I have that writing on the skin where it welts up, ugh. My sister has it too. It's not as bad as if you were to google it and find actual words people write on their skin, but it's still noticeable.

EOS is the WORST for causing reactions!!

I got a really bad lip reaction from the EOS too! Well maybe not as bad as you but my lips broke out completely and now my upper lip has partially lost some pigmentation. I had tried the EOS for a second time, not sure why, and sure enough I broke out again. This happened earlier this year or maybe last year? I can't remember.

I have an itchy scalp near my temples. I seem to have food allergies which I never had before. I also have dandruff because of this dermatitis that I have which flares up from many things. Oil treatments just make things worse. My hair is shedding too but it was ever since I dyed my hair so it's either the dye/hormones or allergies OR all of the above =/ I have an itchy patch of dermatitis on my back that flares up and I have hyper pigmentation now. I had an itchy spot by my neck but it's been pretty good as of late but I do have some hyper pigmentation probably caused by scratching. As I age, I am noticing random things as well- irritated skin etc.. 

Lymph nodes are located in the neck and other areas throughout the body. They process toxins. If you shape your hand like a C and place it just underneath your chin, your fingertips should be just about where your lymph nodes are located. Doctors check if they are swollen when looking to see if the body is fighting something. I will have pain and itching at times in the lymph nodes in my neck when I have exposure to certain things. I will even have little acne breakouts in the area of my face just above my lymph nodes. If the lymph nodes in your neck ache or itch then it's likely your body is trying to fight off something it perceives as a threat.

That's good that you're aware of many of the problem ingredients. It's a challenge though, sort of like Whack A Mole sometimes.

My neck is also an area that gets affected by some things that I use elsewhere on my body (usually on the face). I think your theory of the lymph nodes may be one possible reason, although perhaps it's the skin there being thinner or something. But I find I have to be careful what I use on my neck and sometimes can't use on my neck what I can use on my face.

I wasn't aware of the writing on the skin so looked it up (dermatographic urticaria). What a strange and upsetting thing to experience; I hope it doesn't cause you much pain or discomfort and is a rare occurrence.

This all definitely relates to our immune systems. Maybe environmental exposures too. I wish the medical field knew more!

So sad about your becoming allergic to cats. I love cats. That would really upset me.

I get it about some of the products you mentioned, such as the Luna oil. I used that for a while and although I didn't get a reaction, I didn't like it enough to continue using it. But the thing with so many of these products is that they combine all these different things, all supposedly with these benefits, and yet it seems the more ingredients, the riskier that my skin will react.

My collection of facial oils is pretty slim. I like marula oil (the pure stuff, not any that have other stuff added), a Paula's Choice oil, and occasionally a Jouer oil. I also use JM argan-oil based moisturizer (with SPF) although I don't apply pure argan oil on my face because I don't like it much for that. I've tried lots of other oils that aren't that complicated in formula but not any with essential oils in them which are a big irritant to my skin (notwithstanding any supposed benefits).

@meecheroo, do you go through any sort of testing process when adding something new to your skincare routine? My allergy MD told me to test on my inner forearm but I confess I rarely do this.

I wanted to do a patch test once many years ago, but they said I'd have to not shower for a few days, or at least not get it wet, and it didn't appeal to me. The allergist said I have less than 1% allergy to cats, but as I got older, I feel like it's more frequent. As much as I'm allergic to some cats more than others, it won't stop me from being around them. I think I like cats more than I like people lol

I haven't figured out exactly what ingredients I'm allergic to. I don't put anything on my neck as far as creams, but my reaction happens there. It's the worst right in the middle, right where that part the skin sinks in between the middle of your neck and the beginning of your collar bone is where it's most itchy. 

I once took Saw Palmetto because I read on beauty forums that it would eliminate oily skin and that women could take it too, but after one supplement from GNC, I had to call out sick the next day because it just purged all over my neck. It was gross. I gave it to my bf because it's apparently good for balding, and he didn't get a reaction.  Sigh...I could always try the inner forearm thing too, but I feel like I would forget to do it lol

I still love to buy beauty products. It's always a risk, of course, but I just wish I knew exactly what ingredients I was allergic to.

Thanks for the recommendations on the oils! I'll have to look them up.

(0) Hearts

I'm finding that I can no longer use Drunk Elephant eye serum. It makes my under-eye area get red and slightly puff up right after I apply it.

I had been using it for a couple years, but the last month or so started getting irritation under my eyes. I had reaction to something else I had been prescribed for an eye condition, so didn't know for sure if the reaction to Drunk Elephant serum was really from the other stuff. I finally cleared up from the medication so when I applied the Drunk Elephant serum this morning, the reaction was much more obvious. Sad about the serum because it has a lot of good stuff in there; wish I knew which ingredient(s) I had the reaction to.

Conversation Stats