Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dead skin from tretinoin - chemical/physical exfoliant recs?

Having pretty nice results from tretinoin - the only issue is that my makeup and/or tinted moisturizer appears to just sit on top of the dead skin that is left behind. I've tried my Clarisonic, a washcloth, and Exfolikate on separate occasions and nothing seems to really slough off all that skin. I'm moisturizing with FAB Ultra Repair Cream and Glossier Priming Moisturizer, depending on how dry I'm feeling. Any recs for a good exfoliator to get all of the gunk off? Perhaps a good treatment toner with glycolic acid or something similar?

Re: Dead skin from tretinoin - chemical/physical exfoliant recs?

same issue when I started at 1%. I had the dead skin just hanging out and it showed when I tried to apply makeup. So the nights between Trent I use the Nip Fab Glycolic Fix Pads. I just make sure to moisturize and that’s the night I use Hyaluronic acid as well. The nights I do Trent Which is every other night I just do sandwich moisturizing with it. I’ve had almost zero issues with dry skin. In fact I got too oily lol. Just the dead skin needed to be sloughed off. 

I've been using tretinoin as well and I'm on my 7th week now. So far, I'm loving the results but I would take a flaky face over an acne face any day! My flakes aren't that bad now but when I feel like I need a good scrub (usually 1-2 times a week), I use this peel.

It's seriously amazing and the best product I've purchased to help with the tretinoin woes. Hope that helps 🙂

I have been contemplating taking the Sunday Riley route... your recommendations might have sealed the deal for me! I went with the FAB Radiance Pads and Anthony High Performance Vitamin C Serum for day time and to use on the nights I don't use the tretinoin. I know SR is pricey BUT beautiful skin = less money spent on things to cover it, right? Definitely looking into that now. Thanks for your kind recommendations! 

I've been using tretinoin (retin-a micro) for 2 years now, and I had that issue when I first started using it at .04% and recently that my doc upped me the .1%.  While my skin adjusted I couldn't even wear makeup, the dryness and flakiness was so bad.

What I found out is I was applying too much and too often that I didn't give my skin enough time to adjust.

What worked for me:  

Gentle cleanser like Cerave for dry skin with Clairsonic Mia 2 (sensitive brush head).

I only use the clairsonice 1x at night to take off the days grit & grime.

After cleansing wait 30 minutes before applying tretinoin Makes a HUGE difference!!

I still needed to exfoliate in the beginning so I used St. Ives Oatmeal Scrub.  It's cheap exfoliates and hydrates.  (Would only use when I was scaling like a fish)

The Fab radiance pads (5% AHA-Glycolic Acid) are good but don't use at the same time as tretinoin. You can use those in the day but DONT FORGET SUNSCREEN. 

1x a week I would use a stronger glycolic acid as a mask, Expensive option Peter Thomas Roth Lemon Flash Peel for 10 min, or cheapie option AlphaHydrox either their 12 or 14%.  (Although inexpensive, it's well formulated at the right PH to make it effective).  Ive used both the expensive and cheapie option and don't find one to work better than the other.

My saving grace is after applying the tretinoin and waiting 20 min for it to absorb I use a serum and then either a heavy moisturizer or straight up Olive Oil to moisturize before going to bed.  The Olive oil is great for skin and not greasy is you don't apply a lot.

This is what worked for me, might not work for everyone.

Oh and for a toner I kick it old school with some rosewater or orange blossom water, its soothing refreshing and smells wonderful!

Best of luck!

I had the same experience, and just as emr1 said, using SR's Luna Oil solved my problem. I actualy stopped the tretinoin and now  only use Luna oil to sleep. It's true it's like 10x more expensive, but the results are 10x better too.

Anyway, answering your question, I believe SR's Good Genes could really help your skin. It's not an "out of the mill" moisturizer, it's a full treatment and quite potent (just take a look at the ingredients).  

I'm not familiarized with the moisturizers you mentioned but, if you want to keep it simple I believe oils would be the second best (after Good Genes)  in this circumstances. Have you ever tried marula oil?

My 2 favorite physical exfoliators are Dr Brandt's Pore Dermabrasion (mild but very effective) and PTR Pumpkin Mask (stronger).

Also, have you considered exchanging the washcloth for a H+K Deep Cleansing Cloth? The washcloth can be damaging to the skin and you would be shocked on how miraculous the Cloth is.

Funny I was having the same problem as a result from the tretinoin.  I've realized exfoliating while using that Rx only makes it worst.  I'm currently using Luna by Sunday Riley which has help tremendously but unfortunately it's very costly.  Hopefully that helps. 🙂

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing