LivDamaris

Can you over moisturize your face?

(0) Hearts

I just recently started washing my face everyday.  It's horrible, but I guess I never had to wash it as much.  Now that I am washing, applying moisturizer, putting on makeup, and then removing it it is a lot for my skin.  I have noticed my skin feels almost oily--but doesn't look oily. I apply moisturizer AM and PM is it being over moisturized? 

laynebr

Re: Can you over moisturize your face?

(0) Hearts

You might be clogging your pores. Maybe try being more specific with your skin care routine?
 What's your skin type? What products are you using? Are you taking your make up properly?

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

I have been removing my face with Neutrogena make up wipes. Then I have been washing my face with Philosophy's Purity. And then I have moisturized with a sample of Ex-GLOW-tion I think...but I can't remember what the brand is. It is a Sephora sample. I love it because it is moisturizing and it smells amazing. I have normal skin. My skin never looks oily, but it feels a little over moisturized. Do you think it could be just because I am not used to it? Thanks for your help! :smileyhappy: 

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Which Neutrogena wipes are you using? some of the wipes are really harsh, and the combination of residue + Purity could be too much for your skin to handle (and overcompensating by churning out extra oil). Also, are you using a toner after drying off your face and before moisturizing?

Hope the suggestion helps, as I've noticed most makeups remove with a creamy cleanser so that removal and wash are one step.

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

I am not using a toner. Should I be using a toner?
My Neutrogena wipes come in a blue package.  My friend recommended them because we are so similar in face type--or at least we thought we were.  Maybe we aren't! 

Thank you for your input! 

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Try not using the wipes, for a week or two if you can. Wipes are designed to be there for multiple purposes, including for when you aren't in a position to wash your face but need to remove makeup. My suspicion is that the strength of the formula in your wipes could be stronger than what your current makeup application/needs actually are.

If Purity (alone) is not removing your makeup, try looking for a creamy makeup remover instead of wipes. Otherwise if Purity can remove your makeup, try using just the Purity to cleanse, pat your face off and follow up with toner. Lots of toner options out there to balance your skin ph and get it ready to receive a mask  or your moisturizer. I use a witch hazel that has very little alchohol in it and no other additives. The idea with toner is to get the canvas ready, not dry it out completely.

Check back in so that others can see how you are doing and help out with micro adjustments! <3

laynebr

(0) Hearts

I would say maybe try using that as a night time moisturizer since it might be too rich for day time especially now in the warmer months.

sace021

(0) Hearts

Hi, LivDamiars!  I just did a quick search for Glow-tion here on Sephora and came up with Dr. Dennis Gross's Glotion for Body.  Could this be the product you have a sample of?  If so, it may not be what you would want to put on your face as it is a body cream.  Our faces are generally more sensitive and have sebaceous glands which are not found on the majority of our body.  Face creams are usually formulated with these things in mind and can be targeted toward concerns like dryness or oiliness.  If I have got the wrong product, disregard!

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

Nope it's this one:Bliss Triple Oxygen® Ex-'glow'-sion! Vitabead-Infused Moisture Cream.  But thank you so much for looking! : ) 

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Definitely. My derm has even told me so! If you don't have very dry skin, he said (which I don't) moisturizing every night (at least with a heavy cream) can suffocate your skin a bit. Moisturizing every night in some way is certainly an important step in a complete skincare routine, but my guess is that whatever you're using is just too much for your skin--like a plant oversaturated with water, it can't absorb all of the product, leaving you oily and dissatisfied in the morning. I would highly suggest trying one of two things: a gel moisturizer rather than a cream, or a Korean "emulsion" which is essentially a moisturizer but much lighter and thinner in consistency, like a little veil of moisture. For the latter category, I can personally vouch for Etude House's Moistfull Collagen Emulsion, which you can find for an affordable price on Amazon. I hope this helps, and KEEP WASHING THAT FACE! :smileytongue:

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much! I will look into those! It might be I am just using too much/the wrong type. : ) 

coincoin

(0) Hearts

How much moisturizer do you put each time? I wash my face twice a day too, but I use different lotion for day and night.  For day time , I actually use something lighter and heavier for night time.  So, maybe you can try different lotion for daytime.

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

I guess I just put on what covers my face... haha I am not particularly sure how much.  I don't think I put a lot on.  I will look for a lighter moisturizer. Thanks for your help! : )

TrysBeautyItems

Typically moisturizer is done in the AM & PM. However, it could be too much if you are using the wrong type of products for your skin type. Also remember to let layers dry in between applying products to your face, moisturizer - makeup.

What skin type do you have? Current skincare products?

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

I have been washing my face with Philosophy's Purity.  And then I have moisturized with a sample of Ex-GLOW-tion I think...but I can't remember what the brand is.  It is a Sephora sample.  I love it because it is moisturizing and it smells amazing.  I have normal skin.  My skin never looks oily, but it feels a little over moisturized.  Do you think it could be just because I am not used to it? haha

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Is it the Bliss Triple Oxygen® Ex-'glow'-sion! Vitabead-Infused Moisture Cream? From reviews seems to have a great scent.

From the ingredients, it's a rich cream. Could you be using too much or not massaging in long enough (product page says at least 30 seconds)? Maybe it would be a better night cream for you.

Found this from a different store:

Use as a night cream, or as a day cream in cold weather (or if skin is extra dry).

Seems to be it's rich and better as a protective cream in the day from wind, cold temps etc.

LivDamaris

(0) Hearts

YES! : ) 

That is a good idea--Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 7 in conversation
    • coincoin