SallieSunshine

Can we talk about "bacne"?

So, my bf has a pretty bad case of "bacne." It's been this way for at least a few years. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it kind of grosses me out ... and it *really* grosses me out when he asks me to scratch his back.

Sorry, hope nobody's eating breakfast!

I'm calling on the collective BT knowledge for assistance with this one! I have decided to wage an all-out War on Bacne, and he seems willing to do whatever. What do you recommend? Should he use an exfoliating scrub on one of those back-washer stick things? Do I slather his back in a mask twice a week? Should I spot treat with EradiKate or benzoyl peroxide? Sometimes he gets white heads, but most often it's just big, red bumps.

Help!

DesertRose0706

Re: Can we talk about "bacne"?

i highly recommend having him apply a benzoyl peroxide product on his back every night before bed.  this is what i do and it keeps my back, chest, etc very clear!  I wish i had started doing this much sooner, because i wouldnt have so many scars!  I really like the Clean & Clear Persa Gel 10, which you can get from any Walmart/Target for about $5.

persa gel 10.jpg

daeidre

Just a warning on that-- benzoyl peroxide can bleach hair, bed linen and clothes (mostly with extended use) so it pays to be a little careful what you wear. My brother was using benzoyl peroxide on his forehead for a while and ended up with unintentional ombre in his bangs!

DesertRose0706

haha, ive never heard of it bleaching hair!  But it does seem to bleach any shirts that are grey, brown or purple... i dont know what it is about those colors, must be something in the dye.  White clothing is definitely the safest bet!  Good thinking to point that out! :smileyhappy:

SallieSunshine

Hahaha - that's the best benzoyl fail I've ever heard! My roommate ruined her cute lavender washcloths, but at least they were super cheap. Yeah, he'd have to sleep in a white shirt on white sheets.

kenny

I used to have bacne but it is mostly gone with just the occasional breakout. To combat it, I had my sister  cleanse and exfoliate my back (using a regular acne wash with salicyclic acid) for me, and apply moisturizer after, and occasionally spot treat. We would do this once or twice a week and it was better. I think mine mostly came from having dead skin cells clogging pores and oil and sweat that can get trapped by clothing.

SallieSunshine

I'm glad you mentioned moisturizer - I probably wouldn't have thought of that!

kenny

No problem, especially when using acne treatments it's important, since the ingredient can dry out the skin, which can lead to worse breakouts. And dry skin break outs are HORRIBLE!

missfawnie

[ Edited ]

The Body Shop carries a Tea Tree Oil Body Wash that is relatively cheap. I haven't used it yet, so I can't attest to how it helps with hormonal breakouts, but the reviews are really great and it is a relatively cheap product ($13 and they also have a sale going on).

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I think I may have used this - or a predecessor - years ago. Pretty sure The Body Shop was the first place I ever heard of Tea Tree Oil! :smileyhappy:

malday

I'm glad to hear that the Body Shop has tea tree oil products. A long time ago Kiehls used to carry a tea tree toner that was FANTASTIC. Anyway, I'm glad you started this thread bc my bf has a similar problem but it's just on the back of his thighs (so weird) so I'm going to try some of these suggestions!

wingatprsct

My sons use the Clinique Face and Body Bar. I also throw their body sponges in the dishwasher often to sterilize. You should also have him shampoo his hair first then use the acne wash. Maybe switching to something very gentle like baby shampoo for awhile to see if that helps. Masks and scubs should help if he's up for that. My boys won't go for it. Spot treatments will help too.

nikki

Ditto on the shampooing/conditioning first than body wash. 

Also, my Clarisonic has been the only thing to help my acne, including chestne. I use the body brush, but the acne gel cleanser. 

rdesigns

Great idea about sterilizing the sponges in the dishwasher!  Thanks for this tip :smileyhappy:

SallieSunshine

Thanks, wingatprsct! I didn't know I could sterilize body sponges in the dishwasher - that is a great idea! And I think he'll put up with the masks and scrubs - we shall see.  :smileyhappy:

wingatprsct

On the top rack, of course! I'm not sure how sterile they are in the dishwasher. But I figure if it gets my dishes clean enough to eat on, it's better than nothing. I also put our hair combs and brushes (after I've picked the hair out) and a few other household items in there too. I don't put my makeup brushes in though. I do this usually once a week. You could probably look online for other household items that can be washed in the dishwasher as well. 

@spoiledbrat - don't forget the kitty dishes too! :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

You can also get the Murad Body acne spray, it sprays upside down so you can pply it yourself.  I used that and it helped when I break out after workouts. They sell it at Sephora.

Also, Target carries Nuetrogena body acne spray that significantly cheaper.

SallieSunshine

Genius. I hear angels singing. I will put some in his gym bag!

gem5136

Yes I've used this before as well, it's amazing. IT would probably be something easy for him to do getting out of the shower.

gtichick

I know it SOUNDS counterproductive, but you may want to try a little Argan oil- whenever I break out a little I dab some on, and overnight my face is clear!

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

I think I have a sample of Argan oil somewhere... this might be the time to pull it out!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • nikki
    • kenny
    • malday
    • jojobe
    • gtichick
    • makeupobesessed