stephg74956

Blackheads/scrubs?

I am trying to figure out what scrub will help lift out blackheads.
I have them around the nose area and nothing that I have used worked...any suggestions??

jemly

Re: Blackheads/scrubs?

(0) Hearts

i came in to say exactly what andyhtrieu said. scrubbing is not the answer, try exfoliating toners. i've heard good things about PC but i've never used it personally. i apply every night and alternate between kate somerville clarifying treatment toner (which i've only recently acquired but love so far) and aveda botanical kinetics exfoliating toner. i personally don't recommend the clinique clarifying toners because they have so much alcohol in them--very stripping--which can mess with pH balance of the skin and wreck havoc (personal experience, my mother still swears by the stuff though!). this approach will be much gentler on your skin with more effective results. also try a clay based mask once or twice a week to help with oil. good luck !

kelly101

(0) Hearts

My 15 year old son had a similar problem (not sure if they were black heads or the sebaceaous things). I bought him the Clinique Acne Solutions three steps: cleansing foam, clarifying lotion, & all over treatment and within two to three days his whole face cleared up.  He uses it once a day and it has really made a difference - his skin is now clear, clear, clear!

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

Are you positive they are blackheads and not sebaceous filaments?

sebaceous filaments tend to appear around/on the nose and won't go away. SF is just oil blockage and appear uniformly and the area is smooth to the touch. They also extract yellowish.

Blackheads tend to be raised and appear scattered. Blackheads are still blockage of the pore, but it's head has a black appearance due to oxidation. These will have a darker appearance.

To minimize pore blockage a clay mask will soak up excess oil and get deep into the pores to clean them out (best to use when the pores are open from steam). For blackheads, Murad has a pore duo set.

A scrub will just even out the texture of the skin by removing dead skin, rather than getting deep within the pore.

jenpred

May you recommend a product for sebaceous filaments? After all this time I thought they were blackheads! :smileysad: Would any of the GlamGlow masks work?

Heatoyos1

(0) Hearts

Clinique's 7 Day Scrub is one of the only products that really gets in there and helps me clean out my sebaceous filaments. I only use it on my nose, I prefer other scrubs for my face. It is supposed to be gentle enough to use every day. 

mdelrosario91

I used to have a lot of sebaceous filaments on my nose and right around it. TMI but I used to take tweezers and pull them out cause they were so gross. What I found is that, Stridex Acne Pads Maximum Strength (red box) eliminated them! It has 2% salicylic acid. It's definitely drying at first, so if you are interested in trying that, I suggest that you use it every other night, and then you can make it every night if you like. The reason why I say night is because since this is alcohol-free, it takes a little bit of time to dry.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

You could try GalmGlow, as they do get into the skin. A mask will only temporarily make the pores look smaller. I typically use Origins Clear Improvements, which does this. Clay will also soak up oil, if any. If you are oily, for me, SFs just push out with a little nudge. If dry, try massaging oil on the nose first before a gentle push - don't want to hurt the skin :smileyhappy:

jenpred

Thanks so much for your response :smileyhappy:! I'm more on the combo side, and usually just oily on my T-zone. My skin is dehydrated. It seems like I've had the same SF on my nose for like, 8 years now :smileysad:. I have a sample of the FAB clay mask that I'll have to try. How do you recommend extracting them? Thanks so much again!

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Welcome :smileyhappy:

I typically use the edge of a loop extractor and give a little push on the pore. However, this isn't the best tool, if one isn't sure of it as it can do harm. You could try a squeeze, I would use the pads of the fingers instead of the nail though. They may come out easier after a warm shower. Note: even with extraction, they will come back.

Sonny4President

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

If that is the case, you may also want to look into something that has salicylic acid.

Also, have you ever tried using nose strips (although they can be sketchy to some, using them a few times in your won't hurt in my opinion)... try that out once and see if those black heads come out, if they don't... you're not looking at a black head.

evno

Er, silicic acid is a chemical derivative of silicon, attached to oxide and hydroxyl groups. It's not a cosmetic ingredient, rather, it's used to treat bone loss. Maybe you meant to recommend salicylic acid? The common BHA that is used to treat acne and refine pores?

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

LOL! YES. Thanks for catching that! 

I hope they don't sell any cosmetics with Silicic Acid in it hahaha

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Scrubs won't get rid of your blackheads because they're too deep into the pores for a scrub or face wash to get out. Nose strips work temporarily, but they won't get EVERYTHING out and it rips top layer of skin off, so it's not the best to use. Look for a chemical exfoliant with salicylic acid because that will penetrate through the oil and dissolve all the dirt inside the pores. I'm currently using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid and I'm loving it. I use it at night only and I wake up with less black heads and unclogged pores. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • jenpred
    • evno
    • mdelrosario91
    • stephg74956
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • Heatoyos1