cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Allergy to Eye Creams

Hi all,

I am hoping some people here may be able to offer some advice or insight into a little problem I have.

About 10 years ago I started having allergic reactions to any creams near my eyes. They were pretty bad events that left me with my eyelids swollen shut and peeling skin both on my eyelid and the skin under my eye. Eventually I figured out a routine that worked and the problem resolved itself with very gentle skincare and no creams near my eyes. Makeup itself has never seemed to trigger the problem.

In the past couple of years it seemed as though I had 'grown out' of the problem and I have been able to use a wider variety of products with no problem but I have shied away from eye creams. I am now in my early 30s and am interested in introducing eye creams into my regimen. Last night I tried a sample of Benefit's It's Potent and within a couple minutes I could feel the burning. I washed it off but the damage was done and find myself with swollen eyes today.

My questions are these:

Is this a problem that other people experience? Are there other very gentle eye creams people can recommend (I have samples of Algenist and Clarins at home but am now a little wary)? Do I even need an eye cream?

I realize this is a little long so thank you in advance for taking the time read this!

Re: Allergy to Eye Creams

Interested to read this post. I had 3 eye infections in 4 weeks. Thought that the first 2 infections were pink eye. But after using the origins eye cream realized I think it’s the eye cream. Might try Clinique next. Does not seem to be makeup related but I did buy new makeup as well . Thanks for posting 

Hi ktlamb, 

Oh I know how you feel, SO many eye creams cause me the same burning, rashes, itching, you name it 😞 my mom as well! 

I have used Algenist and it is amazing- the eye balm has been a wonder for my sensitive eyes and for my contacts! My mom uses the Clinique line (she has very sensitive eyes and has had cataract surgery so needs to be extra careful).

I tried Origins, Ole Henriksen, Benefit, you name them, but I've had the best of luck with Clinique and the Algenist. 

Eye creams can be very helpful, just make sure to dab them UNDER the eyes as they do work their way up- try something not to emollient or greasy as those can be a bit irritating too. Best of luck to you!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Hey i have used one of Sephora's eye creams and got a allergic reaction which left under my eyes red, I see that you have  had the exact same experience, I just wanted to know how you treated this incident, so far i have taken a allergy pill and applied cold compresses,

Glad to know this isn't unusual to me, but sad to hear you have the same issue. 

I will take your suggestions on application and give the algenist a shot in a couple days when my eyes settle down.

thanks for responding!

I have continually had the same burning sensation with multiple eye creams, primers, treatments, and I am 43.  I spent some time at Sephora last week scrutinizing the eye products I tried that I could not tolerate and what potential ingredients that I might be sensitive to.  I then requested samples of Ibuku and Allergenist eye creams.  Neither one of these were irritating to my sensitive skin and I particularly loved the Allergenist.  It's a bit expensive but you get a lot and only need a little daily so it will last a while.  I also switched my makeup primer to the Smashbox Hydrating.  I have finally found a great combination for my sensitive skin type.  Try the Allergenist: I really don't think you'll react: I think you'll find a new must-have for your personalized skin care regime.  Good luck!

Thank you!

I will give the other eye creams a try and fingers crossed, I too will find one that works. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing