mh4489

Allergic Reactions! HELP!!!!!

I have VERY SUPER sensitive skin and I breakout in bumps all over my face. I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING! I even break out from using Bare Minerals, Lorac, Covergirl, Loreal, etc. HELP!!!!!

beautylovingirl

Re: Allergic Reactions! HELP!!!!!

(0) Hearts

All of these must have a common ingredient that your allergic to. I would definitely see someone and be tested before using or trying any other makeup or cosmetic product.

Titian06

Hi, mh4489!  As others here have said, please see an allergist before you try anything else.  An allergist can test you for all types of chemicals (mine does), not just the typical allergens.  One day you could try the wrong combination of products and go into anaphylactic shock.  That is not a good thing!  Please...before you try anything else, find an allergist who does chemical testing--your life is far more important than your vanity.

mafan

Look at the sunscreen in products, too.  I found out (after much trial and error, bumps on my skin, itching, etc), that I'm allergic to Oxybenzone.  Thankfully only on my lower legs and I can use other sunscreens.  It's amazing how many things with SPF have this in it.

keiraleighxoxo

(0) Hearts

You're probably allergic to mica. Try the Makeup Forever HD foundation. That is the only foundation I have ever used that does not break me out.

aviscardi

I agree with everyone. Plus did you try the original BE or the matte formula? the original has bismuth which a lot of people have problems with. Definitely make a list of ingredients for the products you have used to see what they have in common

DTalksAll

Remember, it's not so much the brands, but the ingredients they use. A lot of Bare Minerals products have mica in it which some people are sensitive to. 

You really should go back to the doctor and do another test. 

Also, try making a list of common ingredients in the products (not brand, but the actual product) you've tried that have given you a reaction. Also do one with the products that haven't given you a reaction. it's a lot of work at first, but you'll be able to single out the problem causers more easily. 

voxover

(0) Hearts

Sounds like a potential health issue to look into. Have you ever gone to a doctor to be tested on a bunch of things you may be allergic to?

Please check into it beyond cosmetics as well: My sister's friend, who is allergic to around 20 things, walked through Axe body spray that someone sprayed nearby. This triggered very serious breathing trouble. Imagine if you put something you're testing that you might be unknowingly very reactive to on your skin. If you were to have reactions, it could be mild to very serious.

Also, for sensitive skin, sunscreen/coverage is important for not causing reactions or making them worse.

mh4489

(0) Hearts

Yes, I have been to my doctor about this and was tested for various allergies such as dander, dust, pollen, etc. and nothing showed up...is there a different one for makeup chemicals? Maybe I'll go back and have them do the test again.

voxover

(0) Hearts

I'm not sure that they do have skin product allergy tests. Does a variety of products set off skin bumps for you, such as foundations, blushes, eyeshadows and lipsticks? If that's the case, maybe it's the pigments, preservatives or fragrances. Maybe it could also be the makeup remover. What's your skin care routine? Are you using any acne products or antiaging creams?

Personally, my skin is super sensitive and even the action of washing off makeup or putting too many things, like brushes and foundation, can and will set it off. D: Tried only brushing over my damp skin very lightly with cleanser and letting it sit then washing it off with ice-cold water today, and I think that worked nicely to not cause any issues.

Right now, you know certain products that have set your skin off. There's probably a huge list of ingredients in each product, so this is gonna be annoying, but maybe make an alphabetical list of the ingredients for one product, do this for the next while checking the previous list, and see if there are any shared ingredients and mark them off.

mafan's comment about sunscreen ingredients being a potential trigger is very true. Another thing to consider is aviscardi's comment about bismuth. Have you ever had an allergic reaction/irritation from wearing jewelry, especially earrings? I've heard of people being sensitive to certain metals.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Mh4489,

I also wanted to add to the awesome suggestions that you already have! Boscia is another brand that's great for sensitive skin. I also agree, that you should always check with your Doctor/Derm before trying any new products: http://www.sephora.com/boscia

<3 Melissa
melde

(0) Hearts

After years of wearing Bare Minerals foundation I found out I'm allergic to Bismuth Oxychloride. It's in a ton of face products because it gives a nice shimmer without being too glitter. I guess when you smoosh it onto your face, like you do with face makeup (ie Bare Minerals foundation), it gets into your pores (if you have sensitive skin) and your skin doesn't like it. My face was always really red, so I'd put on more make up, making more problems, I had tons of tiny break out -ish bumps... etc. :smileysad:

mh4489

(0) Hearts

So what do you do/use now?

lylysa

If your skin is super sensitive, you might also want to look into getting an allergy test from your local doctor to see what it is you may be allergic or sensitive to specifically.

Plenty of times folks can have reactions to even natural ingredients ranging natural sunscreens/minerals like titanium dioxide or bismuth oxichloride to even plant based ingredients like rosemary or lavender.

Getting samples is a great place to start, but if your skin is indeed so sensitive you're reacting to the majority of what you use, you might consider looking deeper into the matter. It could save you some frustration, money, and even time with not taking more risks on unsure products.

roxystar4

I agree with lylysa on this one. While Alima Pure only uses a few ingredients, you may have a reaction to one of them. I think an allergy test would be a great idea.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you tried Alima Pure?  If you search them on google their site will come up. I used to only use all natural products and this company is really good. 

Also, what skin care are u using? Sometimes skin care mixed with the ingredients in cosmetics can cause a reaction.

mh4489

(0) Hearts

I don't use any skin care really. Just wash my face with water and I use a moisturizer on my face every morning and it's the Eucerin Calming Cream.

mh4489

(0) Hearts

It's the makeup. I don't usually wear any because this happens, but I'm trying to get back into wearing makeup and trying different things and I can never find anything that works with my skin.

I'm looking for the basics for everyday use- foundation, concealer, and powder to set my concealer under my eye.

I have not tried Clinique...that will be my next try.

Thanks!

mafan

(0) Hearts

Since it sounds like you react quite quickly, I'd suggest getting samples from the store to try a few things, though thankfully Sephora has a great return policy if something doesn't work.

mh4489

(0) Hearts

I just got some Loreal truematch foundation yesterday and tried it yesterday afternoon and now today and already I feel little bumps on my temples and the outsides of my cheeks! They don't itch or burn or anything, it's just that bumps appear! I've always had troubled skin and hoped I would outgrow it...guess not! I will stop in at Sephora sometime and talk to them and pick up some samples to try! Thanks for the help!

janinebt

Clinique, First Aid Beauty, and CoverFX are all brands that we carry that cater to those with really sensitive skin. You may also want to try Josie Maran, all of the products within the brand are insanely delicate and gentle on the skin. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • aviscardi
    • melissabt
    • janinebt