andyhtrieu

stubborn pimples/zits

I have two pimples/zits on my cheeks and NOTHING IS WORKING. I've been using benzoyl peroxide in the morning, and 2% salicylic acid and Tretinoin at night. It's been a few weeks since I got them and they're so stubborn. Those products that I mentioned above don't make a difference. Help!

VC425

Re: stubborn pimples/zits

(0) Hearts

Benzoyl and Salicylic acid don't do much for me either! I got the Dr. Dennis Gross Sulphur mask, and it's been helpful for me! You can wear it as a traditional mask (10 min), or you can dab it on and leave overnight. 

The Origins 10 Out of Trouble mask is also AMAZING. It has really helped clear up a stubborn breakout on my forehead. 

Valdeezie

Kick it old school and make a paste out of baking soda and water. Use it as a mask and rinse about 10-15 min later. it will take the redness out, reduce inflammation and exfoliate! After u dry its a good time to clean those pores since they will be open and waiting.

Because your skin will now be dry (but smooth) I usually follow up with a homemade moisturizing mask out of avocado, a bit of coconut oil, organic yogurt, and oatmeal. Put that in a blender until u get the texture u want. (Single serve blenders rock for this) Sometimes i cool it in the fridge for a few minutes and put it on. 15 min later rinse And put your fav moisturizer on and enjoy.

chlotam

(0) Hearts

Honestly, wash your face with head and shoulders classic shampoo instead of regular face wash... Sounds weird, and your skin will dry out a little, but I swear to goodness your acne will improve 1000%

roseps135

(0) Hearts

Kate Somerville's Eradikate has been working for my pimples.  Disclaimer:  I am not on Tretinoin or other prescription acne meds.  But Eradikate has worked like a dream.

pinktorridora

I'm so sorry you are suffering with stubborn acne, I am in the same boat.  A couple things that I have tried lately that have made a difference:

Tea Tee Oil: I got it at Trader Joe's for around $6, and this should be used as a spot treatment. I like to use it overnight because I probably couldn't handle the smell all day.

Neosporin: I never would have thought, but my aesthetician recommended it to me, and I put on a tiny bit on a few spots and they were a lot less red; and instead of them being flaky like they usually are, they healed really quickly.

Some things I have been keeping in mind...I was recommended to stay away from Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide, as they are both made for "superficial" acne or breakouts that remain on the surface. It sounds like you are stuggling with adult or hormonal acne, like me.

Good luck! Let us know what ends up working!

PrettyLittleDr

[ Edited ]

I didn't read through all 44 replies to this, but if you hold a warm compress (aka a very warm washcloth) on them, it brings them to a head faster. That's what I do when I have giant pimples - ha! It may make them look worse temporarily/for a day or two, but they'll come to the surface and heal faster. I usually get them to come to the surface and then obsessively apply salicylic acid treatments every few hours. It dries out the skin around it, unfortunately, and probably isn't the greatest thing for your skin... but it works for me! I like clean and clear's spot treatment in the silver tube with the purple cap :smileyhappy:

EDIT - I also use tretinoin, and it took a solid 8+ weeks for it to REALLY clear up my skin. It got worse before it got better. Stick with it, I'm SO glad that I did!

heartsmyface

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The tretinoin takes three months to really work so don't stop it!   your derm/doctor should've explained that and some other facts to you When he/she wrote the prescription.  You use a pea sized amount every second day at night and wash it off in the morning.  you must remember to wash it off and not wear during the day.  It makes you extra photo sensitive so you need to wear a sunscreen during the day During the time you use it and for a period afterward.  

You also should also have been told your skin would potentially initially break out more and then adjust After a couple weeks to a montH and that you would see full results within three to four months of use. 

I agree with a couple people here that you should go back yo your dermatologist if you feel your problem is getting worse, or if the cream is too high or low a dose, but I honestly don't think you've given the retin-a a chance. 

andyhtrieu

I only use tretinoin at night and only on areas that have acne, like my forehead. It helps with my forehead, but not with the two stubborn spots. ;OFIUASDOFJA;SDKLFJ

yp6XhNT.gif

andyhtrieu

My two stubborn pimples are now just red giant domes on my face. There's no whitehead or anything. v__v

heartsmyface

This sounds like cystic acne.  Go back to your derm.   I would ask about taking accutane or oral antibiotics.  And DONT pick at it cause if they burst under your skin you have a high chance of crater scars! 

Nuke

(0) Hearts

You have to try and bring it to a head! I read that someone said the other day to put face oil directly on it - it helps skin work to try and purge the infection and bring it to the top. Don't use drying products until there is actually a whitehead. 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

It had a tiny white head last week. I may or may not have squeezed it out... heh.... They've been red domes for a few weeks, like I said ):

Time to go to Target!

Blackwhiskey

It's so hard not to squeeze. megzit.gif

lylysa

Ohhhhh, Meg! :smileytongue:

gogreyhound

The Mario Badescu Drying cream (14.00) is great for spot treatments.  It comes in a little tub that would last a long time! I gave my  daughter a big scoop in another ocntainer, and still have a ton left.  

FYI Adapalene is the generic name for Differin.  It is a second-generation retinoid ( like retin-A only more gentle) and it works well to help control clogged pores and pimples. I use it in conjunction with Clindamycin lotion, which is an antibiotic lotion for the skin...my skin is great 2 weeks a onth, and a disaster 2 weeks a month. ugh!   It (The Adapalene)  comes in varying strengths and is a prescription product. I am not sure how much it costs if one does not have prescription coverage, but for me it was 15.00, much less than any othe skin care product.  the CLinddamycin lotion was less than 5.00 I believe. 

newandaddicted

(0) Hearts

I second the drying cream.  I have a teenager and he kept coming into my bathroom to use mine (BIG NO NO) so I bought him his own. He loves it and thinks I'm the greatest mom EVER!  LOL

andreabonder

(0) Hearts

I recently got the Boscia black mask and it's done a very good job. I had a pimple on my chin, but it was one of those ones that are much deeper under the skin & stick around for a lot longer. After using the mask, what ever blemishes I had looked noticeably better. Sometimes I'll even just put the product on any problem areas, so I'm not constantly doing full face masks. 

Hope this helped! 

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

@andyhtrieu you wrote:"...It's been a few weeks since I got them and they're so stubborn..."

Sounds like it's time to go back to your dermatologist for reevaluation of your current concerns since it's not responding to self- treatment (even) if you're using prescription topical products.

TheSocialQuota

Agreed, most pimples last a few days not weeks. :smileysad: It does sound like cystic acne, possibly in response to a stresser/allergen of some kind in your environment or diet (I know someone else that responds to cow cheese in this way). Give yourself some compresses to help bring down the swelling.

killerteeth

Great advice beauty4ashes!

Andyhtrieu, it sounds like you have some cystic acne and your dermatologist will be the one who will be able to help you best. Also, cystic acne is what can leave pits in your skin if the cysts remain in your skin too long. 

I dealt with cystic acne for about 10 years, so I know it is completely frustrating when nothing seems to work.  you just have to remember it's different than surface acne, so treatment for the surface of your skin (masks, salicylic acids; etc) won't work.

Hope this helps and that you have a nice doctor who is able to help:smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 59 replies
  • 64 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • Mystiques
    • drrragon
    • pinktorridora
    • lylysa