Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

skincare issues need advice and recommendations

Hi! I have a few questions and concerns about my skin

1- i have very bumpy skin. around my inner cheeks and my horehead, and near my nose. They are small bumps, most are skincolored, but some are red. Ive had them since I was 10, and nothing would help. I had acne early, since i was 9, and it was moderate. nothing severe. I just have these pesky bumps that do not go away no matter what i do.

2- I have dark spots on the side of my face. I was wondering how to get those to heal and have an even skin tone

3- I have acne scabs, so post acne scabs. I want to get rid of these overnight if possible.

All i want is a clear, healthy, smooth,vibrant face. I prefer some advice on how to prevent these issues, and how to heal them naturally, using natural ingrediants and poducts, as i have very sensitive combination skin. 

My acne is not severe, it is moderate. 

Right now i am currently using: the body shop vitimin e cleanser, body shop vitimin e toner, body shop tea tree skin clearing clay mask, clarasonic mia2, mario badescu buffering lotion, mario badescu drying lotion, mario badescu enzyme cleansing gel, mario badescu drying cream. 

**I do not use these products every single day, i use my cleansers every day, my mask 2-3 times a week, and my mario badescu acne products when i need them.

please help, i have been dealing with these issues for years now. 

Re: skincare issues need advice and recommendations

Hi ashariff,

Greeneyedgirl mentioned Paula's Choice website and I agree it is very good and has questions and answers and recommendations for your type of skin.  It helped me get the clearest skin of my life! 

The products you are using may be too drying and making your skin sensitive and more prone to breakouts (especially Mario Badescu and tea tree oil - I used both for years only to find they were actually aggravating my skin).  I struggled with acne, oily skin, etc from the time I was 12 until I was 55.  Unfortunately nothing will help you overnight. It's hard to know if your pesky bumps are milia or sebaceous hyperplasia. If you can afford it, a visit to your doctor or a dermatologist to diagnose the bumps are best rather that trying to treat something when you don't know what it is.  But both are best dealt with by a dermatologist. Milia are little bumps but when opened (by a derm making a tiny incision) a white pearly round hardened sebum will be extracted - if you try this at home, you could injure your skin and cause scarring; sebaceous hyperplasia are caused when the oil gland comes out of the pore a bit (I have both).  Suggest starting with a gentle pH balanced cleanser (Korres Greek Yoghurt and Fresh Soy Cleanser are two good brands) and toner (that doesn't have alcohol or witch hazel in it), then following with a BHA liquid (I recommend Paula's Choice 2% - there are several types, I like the Resist for oily skin as it's watery and non-sticky).  BHA will clean your pores over time.  Weekly exfoliation with an AHA (Paula's Choice has good products as does the Sephora) is good as is a clay mask weekly (but not on the same day) -  depending on how much you can afford to spend.  The best way to even skin tone is using a product with Vit C or niacinamide (or a product with both). Use a light moisturizer - if you have oily/combo skin, don't use a product with occlusive emolients (petrolatum, mineral oil or any other oils other than rose hip or grape seed oil as these can clog pores).  Improvements may take up a month or more. Try to avoid any products that may clog your pores and some skin is sensitive to silicones (in a lot of pore primers and foundations).  Until your skins clears, gentle and less is best!

Hope this helps, good luck to you!

Re: skincare issues need advice and recommendations

Go to beautypedia.com for recommendations by Paula Begoun.  The Body Shop Vitamin E stuff sin't all it's cracked up to be, and the tee tree stuff has skin irritants.

Honestly, I recommend simple products like Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser, Retin-A (Tretintoin is the generic), BHA (Paula's Choice) and Clean & Clean Persa Gel for spot treating.

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing