stars2013

safe blush to use for non inflammed acne prone skin

Hi, I have struggled with severe non inflammed acne (aka clogged pores) for several years. This is the type of acne that stays there for months to years and is buried deep in the skin and is typically caused by cosmetics. It makes my skin look bumpy and uneven. I suffered inflammed acne when I was younger but as an adult, I have mainly stuggeled with non inflammed acne (clogged pores). I have recently gone through facials (including chemical peels), changed my diet, stopped using most of my cosmetics (i've been staying indoors since I'm currently peeling from a TCA peel). I believe my skin is looking better especially after laying off all the cosmetics. I recently purchased Boscia's BB cream (as recommended by my esthetician) but have not used it yet.  I'm trying to find a good blush to replace my NARS blush (which I absolutely loved, except I believe was a strong contributing factor to my intensely clogged pores since in my cheeks is where most of them are concentrated. My question is, what blush is recommended that has no parabens, fragrance, has no oil (i have very oily skin), and will not clog my pores (has "safe" ingredients that don't clog pores)?  

EvelynShops

Re: safe blush to use for non inflammed acne prone skin

I don't have an issue with this myself but just a few days ago one of my friends mentioned that the only blushes she can wear are the Urban Decay Flushed. These are four small palettes consisting of a blush a highlighter and a bronzer. My friend's skin issue sounds exactly like yours and she was able to solve her problem by stopping use of all powder products except for the UD Flushed.

Wishing you success in beating this issue!

lalatrue

I have the same issue. Bare minerals and glominerals blushes (also compact ones) are safe!

babybear04

It sounds like I have the same type of acne as you.  Not "acne" really, rather super clogged pores.  A lot of makeup products have contributed to this, and I've done loads of research and cross-referenced all the ingredients in the products that were giving me problems.  Some ingredients that tend to trigger my clogged pores are: Silicone/dimethicone (really anything ending in 'cone'), isopropyl myristate, synthetic fragrance, talc, and mineral oil.  Now  I try to avoid using any cosmetics that contain any of those ingredients, and that's helped a lot, along with proper cleansing and exfoliation.  Another tid bit I've found is that for-going moisturizer has helped tremendously, as a lot of moisturizers contain a lot of those ingredients.  Instead, I stick with a natural, oil-based moisturizer (not mineral oil, but healthy oil).  For example, I the only thing I use to moisturize my face is Josie Maran's Argan Oil.  

As for blush, I second the Tarte line.  While I love both the Amazonian Clay Blush and cheek stain, I actually prefer the cheek stain.  I'm almost positive the Clay Blush has talc in it, but it actually hasn't really been too bad of a problem for me.  The cheek stain, however, is AWESOME.  There are so many beautiful colors to choose from, and it's great because you can apply it sheer for a more natural look or add a couple layers for something a bit more dramatic. It doesn't make my skin oily, wears well over makeup, and most importantly...it doesn't break me out or clog my pores!

I hope some of this information has been useful for you.  Please feel free to inbox me if you have any more questions or want to trade tips on this stubborn, annoying type of acne!

crose25

(0) Hearts

I really love Bobbi Brown's blushes :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

Have you tried Tarte's 12 Hour Amazonian Clay Blushes? I really recommend them. My skin is very sensitive and acne prone and it works well with my skin. They have the ingredients shown on Sephora just to make sure. And theres also a list of what ingredients aren't included.

crayzeeRN

Definitely second the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes! They are so incredibly pigmented that I barely need to touch my brush to them to get enough for my cheeks!

stars2013

Thank you so much for your reply.  I looked up the ingredients and fortunately, they are not the same ones found in the NARS blush.  Though it does have some possible pore clogging ingredients (I found a list of possible pore clogging ingredients online).  I am going to give this blush a shot since it is hard to know if it will clog my pores or not until I actually use it on my face.  It also offers vitamins for the skin which would be great to have.  After my chemical peel is done, I plan is to start using Boscia's BB cream only and make sure that is not clogging my pores.  Then, after say 2 weeks of using the BB cream and making sure it's not clogging my pores, I'll add in the blush and do the same.  Sounds very tedious and long but I think this is what I need to do.  I've struggled with acne for so long but I've finally made time to focus on getting it under control.  Thanks again for your suggestion and for reading!!!

sephoralovex

No problem :smileyhappy: Hope everything works out well for your skin!

miabt

I would also suggest trying the Tarte Cheek Stains.  The're alcohol & oil free, and do not contain parabens, sulfates or phthalates.  Check it out & see if it will work with your skin :smileyhappy:

Tarte - Cheek Stain

http://www.sephora.com/cheek-stain-P38468?skuId=937912

xo, Mia

stars2013

(0) Hearts

Great, thanks!  I'll look into this one too, I like that it's a gel too.

carrierose

(0) Hearts

I have two of those and they are nice.  And a little goes a SUPER LONG way, so much so that I'm not even down a half centimeter on mine and I've had them for 3 years (long past expiration, I"m sure... :/)

carrierose

I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain. :smileysad:  I hope someone has a solution for you!

stars2013

(0) Hearts

Thanks carrierose :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • carrierose