Answer
babybear04
retin-a and moisturizer question
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi everyone!  Quick question...

After another visit to the derm, we've decided to take another route with my acne.  The routine is as follows:

AM

Wash with 2% salicylic acid

Finacea topical gel (it's for rosacea, but is also supposed to help with acne)

PM

Wash with 2% salicyclic acid

Atralin topical gel (retin-a)

...As you can imagine, this is drying out my skin pretty bad.  I've been using Josie Maran's Argan oil to help moisturize since most moisturizers break me out (and trust me, I've tried thousands...) but I'm a little concerned about it reversing the effects of my topical gels if you get what I'm saying?  I guess what I'm trying to say is since most people recommend an oil-free moisturizer for people with acne/undergoing acne treatment, do you think it's a bad idea for me to apply oil to my skin as a moisturizer after I apply my topical treatments?

Please and thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
ChicDabbler
Answered
(0) Hearts

Based on what I've seen, people say to go oil-free because a lot of people with acne have oily skin, and using an oil can clog the pores and too much moisture/oil can worsen acne. If your acne is not affected by the argan oil, there's no reason why you should stop. I have combination skin and if I use the oil in the summer (or warm winters) I definitely get itchy/oily skin and breakout, but it's a savior for me in particularly windy/dry winter days when my cheeks are red/raw/cracked.

Question Stats
  • 1 answer
  • 0 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • babybear04