Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

products for acne scars

looking for the best products to get rid of acne scarring. everytime i get a pimple it leaves a scar even when i dont pick at it...

Anonymous Insider

Re: products for acne scars

I have tried stuff in the past to help with scarring on my face due to acne and haven't been satisfied with the results. I haven't been using dermalmd scar serum for a real long time yet but I feel like I can already see a slight difference in the small amount of time I have. I'm definitely going to continue with dermalmd serum to see how it does with continued useage.

hi @adaviscali!

I get pretty gnarly scars, too. If a prescription Retinoid didn't work for you, this is what I'm using right now, and it's been great for my dark spots and occasional hormonal acne. 

--vitamin C serum, AM-- I'm using Drunk Elephant Firma-C and I like it (don't loovvee it, but it's only been a few months). I feel like it has the least impact of all my dark-spot-scar targeted products, but it's also supposed to help with other things so I keep using it. 

--SPF, AM-- I've always hated sunscreen but it really does make a difference.. the sun seems to make the scars darker faster than the rest of my skin. I use Dr. Jart Cicapair Color Correcting treatment (SPF 30) which is a mineral suncreen rather than chemical so it doesn't break me out or do anything else weird

--Sunday Riley Good Genes), AM and PM, which I LOVE because I swear it works noticeably on dark spots over night, seems to shrink active break outs, and makes my skin so soft and smooth and not even a little bit angry.

--Sunday Riley Luna night oil, PM-- I love this product too, it feels like it makes my skin make new cells, soothes it, and calms it down, instead of simply removing the old skin cells. Only thing is you have to be careful not to use too much, because too much will end up staying oily and not helping you at all.

-- Drunk Elephant Framboos glycolic night serum, PM-- I like this product because it seems to really really get rid of the old skin cells. It also shrinks active break outs. I use this one about once or twice a week instead of the Sunday Riley, if I need a little extra oomph. Sometimes, I feel like my skin needs a little catch-up time to make new cells after I use it-- if I use it too often, my skin might get a little irritated and end up with those small "texture" bumps. 

--NUDE Brightening Fizzy Wash-- this is a powder that I sometimes use as my second wash. It definitely feels like it removes the dead layers from my skin. 

--NEOGEN BIOPEEL gauze peeling, lemon-- exfoliates and seems to actually lighten the color of the dark areas. I use these two or three times a week before masks, and they never irritate my skin.

Hope that helps!

thank you!

Hi @adaviscali,

My sister has used the Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum for her acne scarring and loves it. I would check this out! 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

thank you!

Different scars require different treatment.  What kind of scars do you have?  Such as actual scarring or pigmentation issues.............

i guess it would be pigmentation

Hi @adaviscali, I developed hormonal acne later in life, and I get scars easily. Here's what I've done to help diminish the look of these scars and improve the overall well-being of my skin:

1) I quit eating dairy. I've had some problems with dairy pretty much my whole life but I love my cafe con leche, so I switched over to Lactaid products a long time ago. But once I started getting bad outbreaks around 39, my dermatologist recommended that I stop eating all dairy products, and in the year and a half since I started drinking my coffee black I've definitely noted a decrease in the amount and severity of my outbreaks.

2) I use gently exfoliating cleansers morning and night. So far my favorites have been Bare Minerals Exfoliating Treatment cleanser and Diptyque Radiance Boosting Face Powder. I like how these products leave my face very clean but not tight or dried out. 

3) I use Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum and Kate Somerville D-Scar Scar Diminishing Serum to lighten my scars. My oldest scars have pretty much disappeared, but these products do not help prevent new scars from occurring should a pimple go rogue. 

I hope this info helps you out!

i have the Murad sample so going to start trying it soon!

Sort of a myth that the only way you get acne scars is from picking, its completely normal to get them.  Hands down best product you will get is from a doctor or dermatologist.  Prescription strength retinol, called Retin-A will most likely be your quickest and most effective solution.  This did wonders for my skin after accutane.

i actually just stopped using all my derm products, have been on them for about 8 years and they werent helping the scarring- so using new products in hopes of  better results!

The best results will come from seeing a derm. They can put you on a prescription cream that will help prevent new scars, and there are laser treatments for old scars.

A user on Reddit had success with doing the full Korean beauty routine combined with daily sheet masking and microdermabrasion and microneedling, but I don't think there have been studies on that method to prove it will work for most.

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing