brittany0859

birth control for acne?

I went to the derm 3 months ago and was prescribed Aczone Gel and Solodyn and it works wonderfully, but I still get a few pimples right before my period (I get cystic acne around my jawline/chin). I have my followup visit Wednesday and she might prescribe me birth control since I'm still getting some right before my period. I'm not sure I want to go on birth control though because to me it's not a long term solution, I can't be on it for the rest of my life and I've heard horror stories of the acne that comes back when you stop. Do any of you ladies take it for acne, and would you recommend it? The only other option I know is spironolactone, which I highly doubt she'll prescribe because she didn't mention it when we were discussing hormonal acne treatment options.

brittany0859

Re: birth control for acne?

(0) Hearts

It really isn't that bad, my derm said it's pretty mild because I only get a few around my period and some random ones occasionally, but I do scar really bad. I also don't have irregular periods or any other symptoms that might be related to a hormonal imbalance. Also, will you have to get your blood drawn every three months as long as your on it, or is it something they only watch for a while when you start it? Seems like a hassle, but worth it if it clears me!

LauraBellSue

Re: birth control for acne?

(0) Hearts

I've been on spironolactone for over a year now and I still get my blood drawn every three months.  I haven't received any indication from my dermatologist that the blood draws would stop.  I think that's something your dermatologist would make the final judgement call on.  In the grand scheme of things getting my blood drawn 4 times a year really isn't that bad.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • waterbaby1981
    • smoestoe
    • mafan
    • crayzeeRN
    • brittany0859
    • mdelrosario91