From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

, What cleanser, moisturizer or skincare products do you recommend for oily, dehydrated, acne prone skin?

Hey everyone, I'm new here looking for some advice for my skin. I've always had acne, until 2 years ago. I had perfect skin, minimal breakouts. Somehow since mid August of 2016 I have started breakout like crazy, not severe, but somewhat concerning for me since I haven't had my face like this since I was a teenager. Anyways was wondering what do you recommend for my type of skin? I was using Murad Clarifying Cleanser, but now my skin gets really dry after and I get this tight feeling. I was using this product before my acne started happening. I changed it up and started using Purity from Philosophy, same thing, this cleanser left my face like squeaky rubber, Then I recently started trying Clarins Orange Exfoliating cleanser and it does help me out tremendously since my bumps decrease in size after using and keeps my skin clear, but it still leaves me somewhat dry. Regarding on the moisturizer I've been using Garnier Moisture Rescue Refresh. What can I do to return moisture in my face? Or is there a routine I could follow including the Murad and Clarins to see if that keeps things under control?

Re: , What cleanser, moisturizer or skincare products do you recommend for oily, dehydrated, acne prone skin?

I have similar issues, but my face is mapped out weirdly: I get breakouts and oil in my chin/nose area, super dry cheeks and hairline, plus I have sensitive skin. All that said, I swear by my regimen of Murad
AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser 2-3 week, then the other 4-5 days I use Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel. For both I use the Sephora Precision Pore Cleansing Pad to massage. The Murad cleanser is crazy gentle (grains feel finer than sand), it doesn't over-dry or irritate already-present acne in my exp. The Murad also goes a long way you only need about the size of a nickel because it's liquidy.

I moisturize with Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ and add a thumbnail-sized amount of Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 42 For Face to one pump of Clinique if it's sunny out. I used it all last summer and I still have half a bottle left.

I personally find Clarins to be 50/50 in terms of breakouts of zits or milia. Maybe in conjunction with a super gentle exfoliant you can find your magic pairing. It took several samples and some patience, but I have never had such great skin (I'm talking almost completely clear) since finding my combo. Hopefully it gives you a jumping-off point 🙂

Re: , What cleanser, moisturizer or skincare products do you recommend for oily, dehydrated, acne prone skin?

You should be using enough sunscreen to equal a shotglass, to get adequate protection. Even on cloudy days the sun can still burn, it's a myth to only apply on sunny days. With regular use (daily, not just summer) a bottle of spf won't last that long, after the expiration date spf breaks down.

@pattette

The entire bottle is 1 oz., so it's literally the amount of a shot glass. Since it's not meant as a one-time use product, it was formulated to only need a small amount. This was confirmed by a Shiseido rep at Sephora. 

You're fine on the amount, @pattette. The general recommendation is for a nickel-sized amount of sunscreen for facial application. The shotglass comparison is the amount that you are supposed to use for all exposed skin put together (so face, arms, etc.) 

Hi @gabby792,

If the Murad and Clarins products are making your skin feel dry and tight, you may want to stop using them or not use them as often. They could be a little too strong for your skin. I've recommended some products below that are good for your skin that you may like! 

Shiseido Pureness Deep Cleansing Foam is a gentle foam cleanser that's going to lift away impurities, makeup, and oil that can produce imperfections. It's great for oily and blemish- prone skin.

Skin Inc. Vitamin B3+ Niacinamide Serum RESCUE TROUBLED SKIN is going to target blemishes, breakouts, pigmentation, and redness. You can use this on your face and around the eye area. It's great for layering with other Skin Inc customizable serums. 

belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb is a lightweight gel-cream that provides intense hydration and leaves skin feeling soft, smooth, and supple. It contains ingredients to help neutralize skin-damaging free radicals. 

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Intensive Exfoliating Treatment smooths and polishes skin to reveal a glowing radiant complexion. It contains lactic acid and fruit enzymes like papaya, pineapple, and pumpkin, as natural exfoliants for brighter skin. 

XOXO,
Marieke
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing