melisa16

Weird Topic, but can someone give me a skincare routine and products to use

This is long, sorry :smileysad: I am really tired of having skin problems, I want to be able to leave the house without having to put concealer and foundation. I had normal skin in high school except breakouts on forehead when it was that time of month. However, once I entered college I started breaking out all over. And my mom said same thing happened to her and didnt clear up fully til she was 26. I am only 20 years old so I can't wait that long. If its not that time of month or not close to it, I just wear nars radiant concealer over blemishes and powder because it can be covered. However it does not look amazing, but heavy coverage foundations day by day breaks me out. So I stay away. I went to a dermatologist a year ago and he put me on medicine that made it worse with no results and then wanted me to go on accutane but my skin is not that bad and my mom is against because of the side effects. Right now I just use first aid beauty cleanser and derma e no more redness cleanser. And moisturizer. My blemishes are red and small and mainly on the cheeks. However, during my period it is all over my face but multiplied by 5x and no way covering it. So if anyone can give me a skincare routine recommendations with products to use (sensitive/dry skin) and possibly makeup. 

wingatprsct

Re: Weird Topic, but can someone give me a skincare routine and products to use

(0) Hearts

I had acne that got worse in my 20's and got better in my 30's.  My son who is 19 has had very good results with Clinique Acne Solutions. If his skin started drying, he would eliminate the toner in the morning.  You may wish to substitute a sensitive skin toner since you have dry skin. I think it does have salacylic acid, but getting the right percentage may do the trick.  Be sure to use an oil-free moisturizer even though you have dry skin because others may contain ingredients that cause breakouts.  The key is to not skip on washing your face at night.  A Clarisonic brush may also help keep your skin clean.  Give any new treatment a little time to work as it may cause more breakouts at first because it is purging your skin.

I used to use Neutrogena's SkinClearing Foundation and SkinClearing Blemish Concealer and had great results wearing it.  It's very inexpensive and may be worth the try.  My son even used the concealer to cover bad blemishes.  It would help clear them up.  I'm in my late 40's now and I still have breakout issues with some products.  I never try but one new product or regimen at a time so I can determine which product(s) is causing me to breakout or is improving my skin.

Since you breakout a lot on your cheeks, be sure to keep your cell phone clean.

I hope this helps.  Just keep trying and you'll find something that works for you.  Just be diligent and don't go to bed without washing your face.  Good luck!

kd006

It wouldn't let me reply directly to you but you could just swap out Neutrogena products for clean and clear (I think has benzoyl peroxide?) and just double check that none of the other products I use have salicylic acid. And I do use my toner everyday. The glycolic toner is meant for dry, sensitive skin. It doesn't pull all of the oils out of your skin so it's great for when you are in the winter months. It gets the gross oils away that are sitting on top of your face but still leaves you plenty hydrated. I just put a little bit on a cotton round and wipe it over my face once. I only do this at night. Some people use toners 2x per day but I find it suffices if I use it 1x per day. Also, on days that I am SUPER dry, mostly in the winters months, I love to use my origins intensive drink it up overnight mask. This isn't available on Sephora, but it is on the origins website. Sephora does have the 10min treatment, but I have never used that one. I just use the overnight.

But make sure foundations you try aren't too mattifying. MUFE mat velvet is meant for people with oily skin types, so I'm not surprised it didn't work for you. Also I have heard horror stories about kat von d for dry skin because it is kinda drying, I tried a sample of it and it just did not work for me. Alternative options that would be suitable for dry skin would be NARS sheer glow or pretty much most tinted moisturizers. Anything with a lot of hydration is good for dry skin. Anything that says keeps you matte is probably not the best choice for you because you do have dry skin which means patches and products LOVE to cling to patches of dry skin. It's hard to find a great foundation with good coverage for dry skin. I've tried many and loved few. I hope you find good products! I'm glad you're interested in origins because their whole line is just flat out amazing. :smileyhappy:

YoungSocial

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It takes time to find the right skin care products that your skin will love and it takes even more time & effort to create a routine that you'll stick with.  

Lucky for us, Sephora's always generous with samples!  

Having said that, please give a Kate Somerville's Exfolikate a try.   It has dual action exfoliation thing going: physical & chemical scrub. Basically, massage gently and leave it on for extra 3 to 5 minutes with a hot towel on your face to help enzyme to eat away the dead skin cells.  I happened to do this whenever my skin needs the glow back.  Also, dryness can be caused by deposits of dead skin cells so, exfoliating once or twice a month is a great thing!  

My favourite spot treatment is: Murad Acne Spot Treatment. I lay it thick on particular spot(s) before bed and it's mostly gone by the morning.  It's sheer so can be applied before your makeup in the morning.  

For a young & youthful skin like yours deserves a good antioxidant protection from environmental damages.  I had a sample of Ole Henriksen's Whole Truth Vitamin C Kit with my BI points.  It helped me lightened discolouration and provided good hydration without being greasy.  Will definitely purchase the whole line once I finish Kate Somerville products (Retinol stuff that I need to stay away during hot summer months).  

If you feel that your skin needs a bit of coverup then try BB cream. It helps to correct the skin problems not only covering up.  I love Tarte BB Tinted Treatment and Shiseido Perfect Hydrating BB Cream.  It makes my skin nice and dewy but not oily looking.  

Also, I keep mini Caudalie Beauty Elixir in my purse and spritz whenever my skin looks a bit oily (tzone) or need a quick freshen up.  

Hope you get to find the products that you'll love to keep!

Keep it beautiful!

swfupload_2662761517922535660.jpgswfupload_3479903893400215031.jpgswfupload_4790629378863763761.jpgswfupload_1769083732577890263.jpg

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Look into going on Murad's products.  They're phenomenal!  Be careful, though, about using any physical exfoliants because they'll make your skin more angry.  See my post "11 Things" and read those tips on using a Clarisonic, etc.

kd006

I have dry skin and love the whole origins line. Their cleansers, moisturizers, masks, eye creams, everything in between. Everything I have tried, I have loved. I also am 20 and I broke out younger, I found that a mixture of products have helped my skin tremendously in getting my acne under control. I do get random breakouts, but definitely not to the extent that it used to be.

It sounds like you're looking for a skincare routine as well as a few makeup products that will help with coverage. Here are my suggestions and what I personally use as staples in my skincare/makeup:

In the morning, I use my Clarisonic Mia with my purity made simple face wash. Then, I use my Neutrogena Oil Free acne face wash. You might wonder why I use 2 cleansers. Well, I let the neutrogena soak into my skin while I shampoo my hair. It brings back so much moisture to my face that is completely necessary for my dry skin. Plus it has salicylic acid which dramatically helped me with my breakouts. I ran out of this about 3 weeks ago and didn't have a chance to repurchase until last week and seriously.. I can't even.. My skin was a WRECK while I was not using it. I was so dehydrated and I was breaking out (which may have also been because of finals... YIKES!) But now my skin is going back to normal because i've been using it. And it's drugstore (what can beat that, right?) then I use the origins make a difference plus rejeuvenating moisturizer. It's so hydrating but doesn't leave you oily at all. I love it. Next I use my origins gin zing eye cream.

My nighttime skincare is remove my makeup with makeup wipes and eye makeup remover. Then cleanse my skin with the origins checks and balances face wash. Then 2x per week I use the origins clear improvement charcoal mask. It pulls all the gunk out of your pores and for me, causes less breakouts. I can tell my pores are cleaned out so well after I use this product. It's ridiculously good. Then I use a toner. The mario badescu glycolic acid toner. Not drying and can help with your acne. Next I use my moisturizer and eye cream (same as morning) then use the mario badescu drying lotion. This is a spot treatment. You dip a q tip in the bottle, put it on your face, don't blend it in. Let it dry. Then go to bed. You'll have pink dots on your face. then wake up and wash it off. Your acne will dry up in no time.

As for makeup products. Since you said full coverage foundations are breaking you out, I'm curious what products you're using? You should try the hourglass illusion tinted moisturizer. It gives medium coverage and gives me a lot of hydration. Then whatever acne is not covered up, you can use your NARS concealer (which I also use everyday and love) if you have more stubborn acne and your concealer just isn't covering it, you should use the bare minerals multi tasking concealer. I take this on a real techniques domed shadow brush and just blend it over the blemish, and it will seriously disappear. Best concealer ever.

I hope all this helps you! I know how frustrating it can be! Sorry this is such a long message but I just want to cover everything for you. :smileyhappy:

melisa16

(0) Hearts

Oh wow thanks, you gave me a lot of good information. Usually salicylic acid and neutrogena products dont work for me so I will stay away. But I am interested in the origins products you mentioned because I one time had a 500 point perk from them and it did not break me out. I also am interested in mario badescu because I have heard good things about them. You said you use the glycolic toner, I was just wondering do you use it everyday because dry skin I dont want it to flake. And I will definitely have to try the hourglass illusion tinted moisturizer. I have tried make up for ever mat velvet plus, kat von d lock it, and urban decay naked and those broke me out. Thanks again and the longer the message, the better for this kind of topic :smileyvery-happy:

dsparks2

I would suggest Proactive.  I used it when I used to break out, in my 20's, and now in my 40's I have Rosacea and it takes the redness out.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • melisa16
    • jennypenny1995
    • wingatprsct
    • kd006
    • YoungSocial
    • dsparks2